rate of hairloss with Androgenetic Alopecia/Telogen Effluvium

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a question, in my quest to discover what type of hairloss I'm experiencing. I had always gotten the idea that with Androgenetic Alopecia hairloss, it wan't necessarily fast and heavy loss, just that over time, as hair was shed it wasn't replaced leading to thinning and balding areas. Is this correct? Or can you lose hair rapidly too?

I know with Telogen Effluvium it would be common to lose a LOT of hair. I have been losing over 100 a day (and I had thin hair to begin with) for a couple months in my second bout of hairloss this year. It looks thinnest on top, but then you can see it best there naturally. When my hair is wet, it looks pretty evenly thin all over.

Does the fact that I've been losing hair rapidly mean it couldn't be Androgenetic Alopecia? Or just a more aggressive form?

dragonflygirl

Reaction score
hi

I'm not sure, but I can share my experience with Telogen Effluvium. I lost half of my hair in a month due to stress-related Telogen Effluvium. That meant I was having anxiety attacks every day and barely able to breathe, eat or sleep. This actually happend all of a sudden, but I had been very stressed out in the months prior. I have also had Telogen Effluvium from anemia, which wasn't quite as dramatic, even though my anemia was very severe ( I was hospitalized). But it was very noticable, especially at the top. All this in a 2 year period! Best of luck, I hope you find your cause.