Rate Of Hair Loss Per Day On Minoxidil

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally have a question that I have a difficult time finding an answer to online as my question is confounded with questions pertaining to the initial shed on minoxidil, whether or not minoxidil is enough to stop Androgenetic Alopecia, etc.

How does the number of hairs lost per day change with the use of minoxidil? Does the number of hairs shed per day drop dramatically after the initial shed? Is it cyclic with sheds? Is the rate of loss unaffected? Specifically, I would like answers from those who have used minoxidil with a decent amount of hair left (e.g. diffuse thinners).

Again, I am not asking for answers pertaining to a cosmetic difference or an increase in hair counts or thickness on the scalp, but rather about the number of hairs lost per day.

On a related note, people who use finasteride or dutasteride often note a dramatic reduction in the rate of shedding after any initial adjustment period. I wonder, if finasteride and minoxidil are used together, how one may gauge how well he is responding to finasteride versus simply seeing initial growth from minoxidil.

#1d3nt3dsh0v3l, 1 minute ago

Danny-kins

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is a little bit of a late reply, but I've been wondering the same thing...

Best I can find, an average of 50-100 hairs are lost on a "normal" person per day, though the number can very well be higher depending on hair density. People on the forums here talk about finding 30-ish hairs when they shower... I would normally find about half that myself prior to starting the Big3 (and I fell on the low end of the 50-100 hairs shed per day), so of that anecdotal data, it sounds like most people get a doubling of hair shed... 100-300 hairs per day? Though I suppose individual people might get more or less.

Similarly, most people say it will taper off, though there is some cyclic shedding (a lot of people seem to call it "anniversary shed"). That said, I do think it's important to remember the shed itself isn't inherently connected to balding, it's the hair regrowing afterwards to replace it.

From what I've read, Fina is more related to keeping the hair that's already there, maintaining the source, while the Mino is the bigger prompt of the new growth. So if there's new hair, bets would be it's more likely the Mino.

At least, that's what I've found online. I've not yet gotten that far yet myself, but I'll definitely note what I get when I do!

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is a little bit of a late reply, but I've been wondering the same thing...

Best I can find, an average of 50-100 hairs are lost on a "normal" person per day, though the number can very well be higher depending on hair density. People on the forums here talk about finding 30-ish hairs when they shower... I would normally find about half that myself prior to starting the Big3 (and I fell on the low end of the 50-100 hairs shed per day), so of that anecdotal data, it sounds like most people get a doubling of hair shed... 100-300 hairs per day? Though I suppose individual people might get more or less.

Similarly, most people say it will taper off, though there is some cyclic shedding (a lot of people seem to call it "anniversary shed"). That said, I do think it's important to remember the shed itself isn't inherently connected to balding, it's the hair regrowing afterwards to replace it.

From what I've read, Fina is more related to keeping the hair that's already there, maintaining the source, while the Mino is the bigger prompt of the new growth. So if there's new hair, bets would be it's more likely the Mino.

At least, that's what I've found online. I've not yet gotten that far yet myself, but I'll definitely note what I get when I do!
I have definitely experienced 100-300 hairs/day shedding (I have long hair so it is easier to count lost hairs).

I am wondering if minoxidil alone lowers the rate of hair fall per day (during normal use, not during shedding periods).

Danny-kins

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in the lucky member in the middle of the "first shed" club, so I don't know for certain... but by all accounts, daily hairfall should return to average or lower outside of the shedding periods. I'd assume it would be less than normal for most people, since you've got a lot of new hair filling in and less older hair needing to fall out, but I could be missing some variable!