Rate of Crown thinning faster on Propecia

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever since i started taking Propecia 6 months ago, the rate in which my crown was thinning increased dramatically. How long do I have to wait until I decide Propecia is not working for me? Is there anyone otu there who experiences a dramatic increase in crown thinning, and then it grew back? Now I have a huge bald spot on top of my head, where 6 months ago, there was no bald spot.

jeffsss

Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Ever since i started taking Propecia 6 months ago, the rate in which my crown was thinning increased dramatically. How long do I have to wait until I decide Propecia is not working for me? Is there anyone otu there who experiences a dramatic increase in crown thinning, and then it grew back? Now I have a huge bald spot on top of my head, where 6 months ago, there was no bald spot.

never heard of vertex thinning b/c of propecia but i suppose it could be possible.

are you on minoxidil? that stuff seems to work real good for verex too.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
This appears to be relatively common. Stay on treatment and evaluate after 1 year.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
So increase rate of thinning of crown and it doesn't appeear to be growing back is common? So I should wait it out. I started minoxidil like a week ago.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a paper -- I will try to find -- that shows that the 5AR-1 and -2 are not evenly expressed across the scalp. Isozyme 1 was found to be predominantely in the front. This helps explain the efficacy of finasteride with vertex restoriation, as -2 becomes more prevalent as you go towards the back of the scalp. It also suggests why you may see accelerated thinning up front by using finasteride. The interesting thing is, even though dutasteride blocks both 5AR-1 and -2, there are reports of front thinning with this drug.

Obviously, there is so much more going on here than can be described by the "block DHT" model bandied about here. The interplay among the relevant signal cascades (Hedgehog, etc.; upregulation of androgen receptor) and the competitive, specific inhibition from finasteride is extremely complex. It would be helpful if someone with a background in signal transduction could walk us through the relevant molecular mechanism. But then again, I don't know how well this molecular cascade has been characterized.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Weepy said:
There is a paper -- I will try to find -- that shows that the 5AR-1 and -2 are not evenly expressed across the scalp. Isozyme 1 was found to be predominantely in the front. This helps explain the efficacy of finasteride with vertex restoriation, as -2 becomes more prevalent as you go towards the back of the scalp. It also suggests why you may see accelerated thinning up front by using finasteride.

absolutly dead on balls correct. I wish I could turn back the hands of time to see what would have happened if i would have left good enough alone.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Could blocking 1 set of Enzymes cause the other set of Enzyme to increase in production? There could be more DHT Receptors in the corwn area.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Just one more question, the top of my head seem to of filled in okay. At the rate at which my crown is thinning, do you think this will come back while on finasteride, or is this indication that finasteride has the reverse affect on my crown?

jeffsss

Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Could blocking 1 set of Enzymes cause the other set of Enzyme to increase in production? There could be more DHT Receptors in the corwn area.

I think blocking one type of enzyme from turning to DHT causes more free floating testosterone on our body..

THAT free floating testosterone is subject to turn to DHT from the OTHER type of enzyme. that's just my theory, and my hair is thinning.
:cry:

bobisback11

Reaction score
hey jeff i know i don't know you buy i don't want you to give up, i tried minoxidil horrible reaction and gave up resulting in worse hair then before, and i think its bullshit to think that once you stop minoxidil everything will return to back where it was before, that piece of sh*t made me lose good black hair that was not thinning and thick... ok ... i'll stop ... as i was saying before don't give up jeff you've been using it for around 3 months i wanna know your results around 6-8 months and then i will probably make my decision about taking propecia.. btw are you taking the actual propecia or splitting proscar into 5ths...for now i am worried about taking anything that will alter hormones.

thanks and good luck

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Then finasteride is worthless, if it causes part of my head to grow hair, and the other part to go bald

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
Then finasteride is worthless, if it causes part of my head to grow hair, and the other part to go bald

I am not saying that. I am just summarizing one paper I read on the distribuion of the 5AR enzyme. It is suggestive, but by no means conclusive. Again, the interplay among metabolism, gene expression, and the kinetics of this drug are too complex to simply say, "It's the finasteride that is killing my hairline." There may be a small kernel of truth to that statement. But I can't tell at this point.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to find the paper i referenced... I thought it was in my hard drive. Has anyone else come across this paper? If not, please ignore my comments, because I cannot substnatiate the reference. I will not delete my comments (just in case someone finds this paper), but please be aware that i cannot find this paper.

One other remark: The genetic component to this disease cannot be understated. There is, as I have been trying to say, a dynamic relationship between the genetics and the pharmacology here. And this accounts for the variability one sees in patient response.

hulltras

Reaction score
BUMP. can any of the experienced and pro finesteride users/sellers comment on this??

surely if finesteride in some cases speeds up thinning/loss then there is no point in being on it?!

jeffsss

Reaction score
hulltras said:
BUMP. can any of the experienced and pro finesteride users/sellers comment on this??

surely if finesteride in some cases speeds up thinning/loss then there is no point in being on it?!

well it works for some people.. and how will you know if it works for you if you dont try it?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
hulltras said:

My comments are not meant to say this. finasteride does seem to cause sheds. I don't know whether you would call this "speeding up thinning/loss," because the idea is that the hair will regrow.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
from the article that you read, you were saying that the 5ar receptor cells were unevenly distributed across your scalp. So blocking 1 type may leave more of the other type, causing increase thinning in certain areas.

do it

Reaction score
I've been on Proscar (~1.25mg per day). I've noticed the same thing over the last 3 months.
My crown was thinning before but it has thinned out dramatocally since starting Proscar. Interestingly i don't really notice the shedding as it never seems to be more than 15 - 20 hairs left in the bath etc.
This does worry me but logic says that this is not caused by the drug (temporary shed's are to be expected).
I realise how difficult it is when panic sets in but take a deep breath and stick with it. All the advice on this board and from other sources says that you really need tpo evaluate it's effectivness after 12 months.
3 months (in my opinion) isn't long enough to able to fairly evaluate it's success (or not).
I do think the additional loss it's unlikely to be caused by the Propecia (other than a temporary shed) - then again i'm no expert.

Just hang in there and try not to get to down about this - worrying won't help. You may want to try some concealer - i've been using Nanogen occasionally and it makes a huge difference. Appears to be very undetactable (in my experience anyway) and it certainly stops me worrying so much (if women wear make up to improve theior looks whats wrong with a little nanogen :eek:)).

I intend to start on minoxidil in the new year (didn't want to risk a shed over the Xmas period :0) )

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
nohairnodandruff said:
from the article that you read, you were saying that the 5ar receptor cells were unevenly distributed across your scalp. So blocking 1 type may leave more of the other type, causing increase thinning in certain areas.

5AR is an enzyme. It is not a receptor.

My point is, the issues are complex. We are talking about pharmacogenomics, the interplay between genetics and pharmacology. And this is what will account for the variability one sees across patients.

imsupercereal

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 22 year old male with a light complexion and very fine reddish-blonde hair, been thinning since 17. I started applying minoxidil foam 1.5 years ago (Aug '17) twice a day, and then moved to once a day roughly a year ago. Rate of hair loss for this first year was the same as before I started treatment. 6 months ago (June '18) I added 1.25 mg generic proscar to my regimen, and since then my hair loss has gotten noticeably worse; I now have diffuse thinning all over the top of my head, in addition to hairline recession. I also have had pretty consistent right testicle ache since taking the drug (0/10-3/10 on the pain scale), and my body hair/facial hair have gotten slightly thinner. I added jojoba oil and vitamins K2 and D a few weeks ago, and I've also been using Nizoral 3-4 times a week for a year. Any suggestions? Worried I might have Reflex Hyperandrogenicity, which would suck ***.