RAQ ( rarely asked questions)

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding completely stupid, I am wondering whether researchers should also seriously think of some completely different approaches ( even if it's a shot in the dark) to treating hair loss.
For example, my questions would be:

1- It is obvious that IF we could transplant hair from person to person than that IS a SOLUTION to hair loss. How difficult is it to go around the immune system's complications ? Anyone tried some ways ?
quoting Woods and Campbell:
" We have also been looking at the idea of person to person transplants. This carries major logistic and ethical issues. Over the last few months, a client is being assessed for receiving hair from his sister. We have the leading transplant immunologists in the country performing every conceivable test and we are looking at the ethical implications. There is no guarantee yet that we can proceed but we are waiting anxiously for the final go ahead."
ETHICAL implications ? what are they talking about ?
You can also read this:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... htm?csp=34

2- This is worse than the first: What happen to hairs that fall off ? By now I must have lost 60000 hairs in my life. I never thought of storing them and see what happens to them. Do they change body/texture ? If not can they be used in some way to be transplanted back into the head using some engenieered follicular unit ? (at the cost of keeping hair at the same length)

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
That would seem to be a dud. Hair follicles are already the target of the immune system much like a rejected organ. Being from a different organism woudl only make that worse.