Random Thoughts On Haircut (undercut)

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently got my hair cut and ended up with an "undercut" haircut, although with slightly longer sides and shorter on top than is typical for this haircut. The general idea is very short around sides and back with long hair on top that can be styled straight back or with a side part (I have a side part). I have thin hair with a mature hairline/ Norwood 1.5 and this is the most pleased with a haircut I've been in a long time. I've also noticed lots of guys wearing it who are pretty far receded and you can barely notice that.

If you remotely think you can pull off this look, I highly recommend trying it. The contrast between short and long on top makes receded temples look much more straight across somehow. The longer hair on top going back is good for the vertex area and it's kind of all directed to the top/back of the head, where the density is needed most.

Not really related to anything but I wanted to suggest it to people as I have experimented a lot and think this is a great option.

Some examples...

http://www.menshairstyletrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/kev_thebarber1-undercut.jpg

https://hairstyleonpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/side-part-undercut.jpg

https://hairstyleonpoint.com/brad-pitts-fury-hairstyle/

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Try this style to hide your thinning hair!"

*Posts pics of all solid NW1's*

The Baldy Man

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You pretty much have to be a NW1 to pull off an undercut, quiff, or pompadour. I tried to do the slicked back rockabilly style to with my NW2.5. Looked like Johnny Depp in the Whitey Bulger movie.

Established Member
Reaction score
"Try this style to hide your thinning hair!"

*Posts pics of all solid NW1's*

Just something worth trying...there aren't a lot of "hairstyle" pics of ppl with non-perfect hair on google images...

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could probably pull em off with a NW2 if still really good density.

shookwun

Reaction score
Side parting the quiff/pompadour is borderline acceptable of you are an early Norwood with minimal recession.

The moment you have deep recession on both temples, and a hairline that becomes a five head is when you give up trying to look trendy.

Side part tends to be most forgivable as it gives volume and be swept to cover one temple.

Established Member
Reaction score
Shookwun - agree. Probably only good for up to NW2, maybe NW3 now that I think about it. Some more realistic examples...
Sorry if this isn't helpful to more than a subset of this forum...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxm5OOtuqsd_RiKAINZOsBbYfT9Etj0fM2Xyad0QxEe08mSJut.jpg
9249ac74cb53f042413ea030f4811e30.jpg
rumbarber-slicked-back-hairstyle-for-receding-hairline.jpg

shookwun

Reaction score
Shookwun - agree. Probably only good for up to NW2, maybe NW3 now that I think about it. Some more realistic examples...
Sorry if this isn't helpful to more than a subset of this forum...

View attachment 61127
View attachment 61128
View attachment 61129

Another factor is temple points. Stronger they are the more forgiving your recession at the hairline will be.

Deep recession and parallel sides touching your ear would make these hair cuts look comical. Would be a good laugh.

Early recession is fine if your hair density and temple points are reasonable like the first picture you posted.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I could pull this one off, but thinness is just too much. Hell, even an nw1 with hard thinning within the first 3/4 inch of the hairline wouldn't be able to do it. Not without it being a constant distraction to whomever you're with. It's the thinning that's the killer. I've seen nw2+ pull this off ok, but density was tight.