random super shedding out of nowhere, why?!

l3sstalkmor3rock

Reaction score
ok, here's the deal. age 23, diffuse thinning and recession. I tried propecia with the nasty side effects and dropped it. tried rogaine 5% and had the rapid weight gain, so I dropped that too. I'm just sticking to folligen spray, revivogen and nizoral 1% every couple days until I have some money to throw around and start spironolactone.

oh, and I take dexedrine 7.5mg (an amphetamine for ADD) daily if that matters.

the last few days, I've been moving into a new place and finally got the hot water working so I had to be a dirty bastard for a couple of days. finally took a shower and I seriously pulled out 200 or so hairs. I kid you not, I actually took the time to count because it was freaking me out.

I'm asking would not washing your hair for a few days, not eating much the last few days (my fridge is empty, haha) or being poorly hydrated contribute to intense shedding? I've never had shedding like this before and it just came out of nowhere.

probably time to make an appointment with a dermatologist too.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Could possibly be from not washing your hair for a while. If i go quite a few day's without washing my hair. I do tend to see a hell of a lot more hairs in the sink. But saying that never near 200, that is a pretty mad amount.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Bert said:
Could possibly be from not washing your hair for a while. If i go quite a few day's without washing my hair. I do tend to see a hell of a lot more hairs in the sink. But saying that never near 200, that is a pretty mad amount.

Its not from the lack of washing, it is because washing your hair tends to make all the telogen hairs that are about to drop, come out. It is more effective at removing hair then regular old brushing. At least in my experience it is. When you dont wash for a few days there are more hairs that jsut need that little tug to come on out.

ronaldkia

Established Member
Reaction score
well 13sstock..., i swear to you, its all stress..tell me are you really stressed about moving to new place...did you also recently started new job...and most important question of all....what do you do to counter your stresss exactly...? u have a gf or friends to talk to?

let me know.

Britannia

Reaction score
If you go days without washing your hair it will make your hairloss much worse because sebum builds up on the scalp which can cause inflammation and increased levels of DHT in the scalp. I think its best to wash your hair everyday.

souldoctor

Reaction score
scary as it seems, this is probably normal..i usually wash my hair every day, and prob lose around 20-30 hairs when i do...but if i dont wash it for a few days,i get a load coming out at once...because those hairs i would have lost in those days when i didnt wash just build up on ur head, it's pretty obvious...e.g if i lose 20 a day when i wash, but then don't wash for 3 days, then on the day i do wash, i'll lose around 60 or something like that?

SD

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ronaldkia said:
well 13sstock..., i swear to you, its all stress..tell me are you really stressed about moving to new place...did you also recently started new job...and most important question of all....what do you do to counter your stresss exactly...? u have a gf or friends to talk to?

let me know.
die

jeffsss

Reaction score
souldoctor said:
scary as it seems, this is probably normal..i usually wash my hair every day, and prob lose around 20-30 hairs when i do...but if i dont wash it for a few days,i get a load coming out at once...because those hairs i would have lost in those days when i didnt wash just build up on ur head, it's pretty obvious...e.g if i lose 20 a day when i wash, but then don't wash for 3 days, then on the day i do wash, i'll lose around 60 or something like that?

SD
your right..

I did the same thing when i was at my denial stage...

I just wont wash my hair today!!!

then i went to wash it and BAM... 100 hairs... I freaked..