Radius Of Minoxidil Absorption

Thin Jim

Reaction score
Guys I have never found an answer to this question. Maybe one of the experts know like Bryan or maybe i'm just a retard. Has it been determined the actual Radius that minoxidil absorbs under the scalp. Reason being is that at the moment I am making an effort to make sure all of my scalp is directly in contact with the minoxidil. However I have read for example on Dr Lees site that the minoxidil spreads underneath the scalp once absorbed. Directions from his site are to part hair in 3 places and apply, but is this going to affect the whole scalp or only the area in which it is applied.

Does that make any sense.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know...I've been going through foam like crazy cuz I'm diffusing and i need to get even coverage over my whole scalp area...so i've been using twice the amount as directed since I'm not sure exactly how much rogaine needs to be concentrated in one area for it to be effective. Any one have any Norwood wisdom they can share with us on this minoxidil mystery?

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know...I've been going through foam like crazy cuz I'm diffusing and i need to get even coverage over my whole scalp area...so i've been using twice the amount as directed since I'm not sure exactly how much rogaine needs to be concentrated in one area for it to be effective. Any one have any Norwood wisdom they can share with us on this? (Hey, that was a haiku!)

Sean68

Reaction score
i think about this as well and i use way too much minoxidil and spectral.

i just try to part my hair as much as i can at the front where i apply it
and try and get it so theres a line of skin that runs parallel to my hairline
just behind it so im getting the 'front line'. i do this every couple of inches
until the whole front is covered then do a couple of sprays in front of my
hairline but it runs down anyway which is why i spray most of it slightly
behind.

its just doing the best you can really and taking an extra bit of time over it.

CD79

Reaction score
I'm going through about 3 - 4 cans a month at the moment. It's not a major issue as it's quite cheap but i've not really any blatantly obvious loss yet so the crown and vertex are a b**ch.

Hairline is dead easy but what I'm doing at the moment is applying several squirts at different points on the scalp and rubbing it in. Tis almost impossible to measure on my hand then get it to the scalp without most being absorbed by the hair.

CD79

Reaction score
Haha, probs applying about 2-3 capfulls at a time. Tis a b**ch trying to apply in areas where the hair isn't really thin. Get paranoid it's not working unless I can feel it over all the right areas of the scalp so tend to overdo it.

Sean68

Reaction score
yeah same here. i use spectral dnc which tingles a little when you apply it
its got to the point now where unless im sat with my scalp burning like
mad i go upstairs and spray some more on!

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to be using more then recommended at the moment too but only cos I'm so paranoid it's not getting properly absorbed. Not matter how careful or thorough I am I always seem to end up with masses of the stuff caked in my hair.

I guess it would help me use less if it actually worked but after 5 long years of trying just about every form of minoxidil possible I have bugger all results to show for it other then a head the size of a over-inflated balloon.

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
CD79 said:
I'm going through about 3 - 4 cans a month at the moment. .

Holy Shiat...thats far toooo much
That''s me too. I apply it to most of my scalp cuz I have diffuse thinning. In the commercial, the dude is taking more than 1/2 a cap of foam and applying it to the vertex. I imagine that same amount needs to go over all areas where you want hair to regrow.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thin Jim said:
Guys I have never found an answer to this question. Has it been determined the actual Radius that minoxidil absorbs under the scalp.

As far as I know, that has never been directly tested by doctors or scientists, except to the very limited extent described in the study below. All we really have are just anecdotes and speculation, although it does seem fairly clear that the effect of topical minoxidil extends at least to some degree outside of the actual physical area to which it's applied.

But here's an interesting study with a "twist" to it that's fairly relevant to this question: "Double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of topical minoxidil in extensive alopecia areata", Vera H. Price, J Am Acad Dermatol 1987; 16:730-6. Here's the "twist", as described in the treatment protocol section (added emphasis in bold is my own): "Subjects were randomly assigned in a double-blind fashion to receive either the 3% minoxidil solution or placebo. The assigned solution was applied twice daily to affected areas on half of the scalp only, with overnight petrolatum occlusion. The other half of the scalp was left untreated throughout the 1-year study."

The treatment was generally successful, and here's what Price says in the Discussion section: "Subjects in the minoxidil group who regrew scalp hair had growth on both the treated and untreated sides, but hair growth always began earlier and was more abundant on the treated side. Hair growth on the untreated side of the scalp in the minoxidil group may have been either spontaneous regrowth or a response to the minoxidil in the nearby scalp areas. There is some speculation that topical minoxidil spreads across the skin surface or even within the skin, much like solvents through chromatograph paper. Alternatively, topical minoxidil may be transferred from the treated side to the untreated side by wigs, hats, or pillowcases. A systemic effect is unlikely in view of the low to very low minoxidil serum levels measured."

So that supports the general idea that topical minoxidil does work mainly on the parts of the scalp where it's directly applied, but the effect _may_ indeed spread-out a little to neighboring areas. I think you should always try to apply it directly to all the affected areas that need it, but even if you miss a spot here or there, you'll still probably get some noticeable effect in the places you missed.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sean68 said:

Sean, Sean. Do you know that the french call masochism "the english vice" :lol:

I know well that temptation for "the more the better". Try to use what is recommended, and if you reaaally want more, apply it 2 hours later. I cannot believe that a scalp burning can be good for anything.

But I understand. One of my wildest dreams at the moment is that Dr Proctor sends me as much Proxiphen as I want for the rest of my life. And then I soak my scalp with it, and I use it even as hair gel... How pathetic is that?

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
if you apply liquid minoxidil after shower when your scalp is not wet anymore but still humid, wouldnt the absorption be a really higher?

Sean68

Reaction score
Jacobo said:
Sean68 said:

Sean, Sean. Do you know that the french call masochism "the english vice" :lol:

I know well that temptation for "the more the better". Try to use what is recommended, and if you reaaally want more, apply it 2 hours later. I cannot believe that a scalp burning can be good for anything.

But I understand. One of my wildest dreams at the moment is that Dr Proctor sends me as much Proxiphen as I want for the rest of my life. And then I soak my scalp with it, and I use it even as hair gel... How pathetic is that?

haha i just worry its not getting to my scalp. i dont feel comfortable until
i feel that reassuring tingle. i probably got a bit carried away with my words there. proxiphen - any good?

G

Two questions for you guys who are using a can of faom a day.

1. are you washing your hair before applying the foam?
2. Are your hands cold?

I notice that when I DONT wash my hair, and when my fingers aren't ICE COLD, that I need a lot more foam to apply. I think the reason is that my hands are warmer so it will absorb more of the foam, and if my hair isn't immediately clean, the hair itself absorbs more of the foam as well.

I usually use a frozen ice stick to get my fingers ice cold. When my fingers are ice cold and my hair is clean it takes a little bit longer for the foam to melt and I'm better able to spread it around on the scalp.

Give this a try and see if makes a difference. I'm averaging around a month per can.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sean68 said:
proxiphen - any good?

I will do a full review including my previus "story" at the beginning of July, it will be 6 months on it them (Started NYD). But as and advance, rather good, and that feeling "the best is yet to come". I don't want to elaborate more now, 6 months will be the milestone.