racist male pattern baldness

Tallstark

Reaction score
Hi all, I have seen a number of times people drawing conclusions from perceived racial differences in the % of a given race to have male pattern baldness, i.e. Eskimos almost never go bald, so we should eat more whale blubber, or Japanese have less incidence of male pattern baldness so we should eat more soy etc...

So, my questions are these:
1. Has anybody seen anything solid in terms of incidence of male pattern baldness by racial background?
2. Has that ever been determined to be genetic versus environmental? i.e. most Africans have brown eyes, thats genetic. More Africans have sleeping sickness, but that is because the tse tse flys live in Africa. (I have NO idea if I spelled that right lol)

This one is very interesting to me as I have seen any number of non-documented claims from hairloss products based on this chain of logic, i.e. the Amazon Indians never go bald, and they eat Acai, so you should too. They also all have dark hair, but thats not from food, its DNA. If I got my male pattern baldness from my parents genetics then I also am 6'6 and have green eyes from my parents genetics, so eating my same diet or other environmental things won't make you taller or change your eye color.

3. Lastly, is there any reason that we go bald vis-a-vis the evolution rationale we use for most things in our genetics? i.e. what purpose does it serve for us to go bald?

OK, I know there are some holes in my logic but I am curious of any feedback from people who have looked at this in more depth that I have. I guess I am still hoping that I am wrong and there is some heretofor unknown fruit which is the reason the Awahupis never go bald and that will grow it all back!!!!

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I have contacted Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the ACLU. This is offensive and SOMEONE...SOMEONE will pay!

G

Tallstark said:
3. Lastly, is there any reason that we go bald vis-a-vis the evolution rationale we use for most things in our genetics? i.e. what purpose does it serve for us to go bald?

I doubt it. But is there any real purpose for us to have hair nowadays? If human race really has developed like it is believed we have become less hairy all the time. Why should head hair be any different? I think there has been studies that the baldness gene will only spread and more men are going to go bald and those who are blessed with the gene will go bald earlier. Unless, of course, a cure is developed.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read something once suggesting that a bald head evokes caring feelings in other people, so they look after the old baldie.

That's right, gents, we're all objects of sympathy and pity here :lol:

Life ain't fair.

Pondle

Reaction score
There was a 1970s study cited in a British Medical Association journal article on male pattern baldness which noted that white men are four times more likely to develop premature balding than black men.

As for prevalence, I've seen no evidence that the "baldness gene/s" are "spreading". You'll certainly see more bald men in developed countries, but the reason is demographic - the rich world is ageing, and baldness tends to become more common with age.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
stampede said:
I read something once suggesting that a bald head evokes caring feelings in other people, so they look after the old baldie.

That's right, gents, we're all objects of sympathy and pity here :lol:

Life ain't fair.

i'll take sympathy and pity over ridicule! although i dont get ridiculed but you know what i mean

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, the evolutionary explanation I read was that men with receding hairlines were seen as more mature, less impulsive, and more stable mates for settling down with.

As for race and male pattern baldness... I have two hobbies as I ride to work on the New York subway each morning. Check out cute ladies and check out the Norwoods. And in my completely unscientific observations... I very, very RARELY see a Latino dude with anything more than a NW2.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I've got a completely different take on those stats. Frankly, I think that we all have the same susceptibility to male pattern baldness, but white people have been getting laid a LOT less, and as a result, we tend to jack off a LOT more than people of other races have been.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
In my country (Europe) I can hardly find someone (like 1 of 50-100) over 25 with NO hair loss. The same for Germany which is near us, the same for Slovakia which is even worse.

Baldness is definitely not evolution. If it would be, you would be born without hair and you would have less and less hair in teenage years. It does not happen in this way. Body hair is evolution, people were born with much more body hair thousands of years ago.

Human body can never adjust to chemicals and to refined things. It can work, but it can not work as it should. Every year there is more refined food in everything we eat, so more people have some kind of acne or not very good skin and everyone who has slight male pattern baldness genes will develop MBP to degree of his genes.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tomas99 said:
In my country (Europe) I can hardly find someone (like 1 of 50-100) over 25 with NO hair loss. The same for Germany which is near us, the same for Slovakia which is even worse.

Baldness is definitely not evolution. If it would be, you would be born without hair and you would have less and less hair in teenage years. It does not happen in this way. Body hair is evolution, people were born with much more body hair thousands of years ago.

Human body can never adjust to chemicals and to refined things. It can work, but it can not work as it should. Every year there is more refined food in everything we eat, so more people have some kind of acne or not very good skin and everyone who has slight male pattern baldness genes will develop MBP to degree of his genes.

Say again? :?

bubka

Reaction score
tomas99 said:

every genetic trait that you have is evolution, whether it is positive, negative, or neutral

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Its very rare to see black ppl get bald.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=122

"There are racial differences, however, in the incidence of male pattern baldness. The highest rates are found among Caucasians, followed by Afro-Caribbeans. Chinese and Japanese men have the lowest rates. For some unknown reason, this form of hair loss is does not occur among Native Americans."