Quitting Rogaine Now

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Recently I have developed some type of water retention in my ankles and other areas which I can only attribute to the use of the 5% minoxidil solution. I also noticed a faster heartbeat for a couple of hours after the night time application, since starting the generic Rogaine. Therefore I will be stopping "Rogaine" cold turkey. :x

It is just not worth all these side effects. It did grow some hair though :wink:

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
It's definitely not worth those kind of side effects. You're making a sound decision. Nothing related to hair is worth jeopardizing your overall health. NOTHING.

CCS

Reaction score
that is my advice too, except i think you should dilute the 5% minoxidil with 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, $1 per pint) to save money compared to the 2%.

The ankle swelling is not from minoxidil, but the heart rate increase very likely is. It is because you are absorbing too much, or your body has a low tolerance. Practice taking your pulse and find your normal heart rate. in fact, maybe stop for a few days just to find out what normal is. Then dilute your minoxidil 50-50 and see what that does. even once a day will help some, espeically combined with some diluted folligen every other day.

beaner

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
that is my advice too, except i think you should dilute the 5% minoxidil with 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, $1 per pint) to save money compared to the 2%.

The ankle swelling is not from minoxidil, but the heart rate increase very likely is. It is because you are absorbing too much, or your body has a low tolerance. Practice taking your pulse and find your normal heart rate. in fact, maybe stop for a few days just to find out what normal is. Then dilute your minoxidil 50-50 and see what that does. even once a day will help some, espeically combined with some diluted folligen every other day.

I really hate to have to correct you college, but swelling of the ankles is a sure sign of systemic absorption of minoxidil.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
never heard of fat ankles being a side effect of minoxidil, but don't be worried about the rapid heartbeat. I had them all the time when I first started to use it, but after a while it went away......

Felk

Reaction score
Fat ankles most definately is.

Google minoxidil and edema of the ankles....

CCS

Reaction score
i don't mind getting corrected. now that i think about it, if the blood vessels relax, it might make sense the blood would settle in the lower extremities, not that it every happened to me. My brothers scalp turned dark pink, with sheets of skin peeling off. I can't believe he continued it that long before asking me if he could stop. I doubt he did his scalp any good. i told him to get off it, wait for it to heal, dilute it 50-50 with 70% isopropyl, add a mL of flax oil, and try it again starting once a day and using nizoral. I hope he can handle that or he is in trouble.

G

I have noticed the faster heartbeat aswell. Yesterday(after my daily minoxidil application) my pulse was about 65-70 bpm. Usually it has been around 50-55 bpm. My scalp also flakes but the irritation has eased off a bit. I think my scalp is getting used to that stuff. Shedding a lot of thin hairs aswell.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Feeling much better now after more than a week of being minoxidil free :wink: . I lost about 10 lbs of water :D

Being bald is better than having two sacks of water for legs IMO :freaked: :D :freaked:

AnnR

Reaction score
Wookiewannabee

Hi Wookie, in a lot of deep searching regarding minoxidil side affects I did find some rather scientific descriptions of the negative side affects on the heart for some people and one was greatly increased water gain and of course the product literature says if you have rapid weight gain to discontinue the product. I know I've felt puffy too and have lost about 2 pounds in the last 3 days not using minoxidil and it feels like it is water weight that's been lost. This product just isn't good for some of us.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am now trying a reduced amount of 1/2 mL 1x per day instead of the recommended 1 mL 2x daily. So far, no rapid heartbeat :D

And even better for the wallet :hairy:

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wookiewannabe said:
I am now trying a reduced amount of 1/2 mL 1x per day instead of the recommended 1 mL 2x daily. So far, no rapid heartbeat :D

And even better for the wallet :hairy:

Now I am getting a red inflamed scalp from the low dose. Quitting for good this time :freaked: :freaked: :freaked:

G

use tricomin or other copper peptides instead and use spironolactone.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How much were you using when you had side effects? How long had you been on it?