Quitting Propecia

shinycap

Reaction score
Before I started taking finasteride, I experienced some of what the original poster mentioned: Puffy face, feeling like I was in a fog, depressed, pimples on my scalp. These got no worse when I started taking my finasteride.

So you're saying that you had 3 SPECIFIC finasteride side effects before ever taking finasteride and that finasteride had nothing to do with them? Good job brah. Anything else you want to tell us? Like, how your libido INCREASED after taking finasteride?

Unbelievable the busllshit that people post on this forum. Why not just say you're working for Merck?

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hawaii male said:
I gained 20 lbs in 2 months on Propecia. No, my eating habits did not change.

Are you kidding me? that's insane. I thought your only side was nut ache. And seriously nothing but starting propecia has changed in your life style?

Alternatives

Reaction score
I should probably check other threads, but has anybody had terrible, and I mean not just bad but terrible sexual side effects from propecia?

I had no problem shelling out the bucks and taking these pills, but about a couple days into it, I felt this numbing sensation on my penis.

Masturbation became near impossible, the few times in that month that I even felt turned on. It was such an alien feeling to know that I should be turned on by something (like a bikini at the beach) but wasn't feeling anything. It scared the hell out of me. I have taken the drug Lexapro before and experienced sexual side effects but none like these.

I keep reading this forum in hopes that someone's post will jolt me back into taking the pills (i still have 2 months of pills left) but I haven't seen anybody post a similar experience who kept on these pills and had it change. I really worry that I am one of those body types who will be permanently affected if I stay on the pills.

Mattb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,
25 year old white male. Been taking the prescribed dosage of propecia for just over 3 months now. At the inception I was determined to stick it out, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should just drop it altogether.

Reasons:
1. skin rash on hand/face. Never had a rash in my life, anywhere. I'm not an alarmist, but this thing on my wrist has been there for over a month. Derm told me he's never heard of anyone getting a rash due to propecia, yet the box says skin rash could be sign of serious risk condition. To his credit, he's the same derm who's never heard of anyone shedding or losing hair due to propecia! I know, I need to drop this idiot.

2. Aging/puffing/sagging of face. I look all round and old. I quit for 2 weeks and my face slimmed down. (started up again because I started sheding more).

3. acne. My skin is loking real rough right now

4. "Mind fog" can't remember sh*t, walk around in a haze. Diziness, especially within 2-3 hours after taking pill, feel like I'm sleepwalking/dreaming. Can't get excited about anything. Feel like I'm watching my life go by on TV.

5. The way I feel about taking this drug. I'm fundamentally opposed to ingesting a hormone altering drug. I'm also opposed to taking this drug indefinitely. I'm 25 years old, am I supposed to take this drug everyday for the next 65 years? That's absurd. This is a hormone altering drug, by the time I'm in my 50's I will have been taking this drug for more than half of my life I'm not saying I'll grow a vagina but there will DEF be consequences.

And last but certainly not least:

5. Hairloss. 4 months ago I had a full thick head of hair with the beginning indications of temple recession. never lost a single hair on top of my head. In three months, my hairline has receeded 1/2 inch and my temples have receeded 2 inches back and at least 1 inch up (into the top of the head). Additionally the hair on top and at the vertex has consistently been diffuse thinning since 3 weeks into the start of treatment.

Now let me say this, Propecia-induced hairloss is the LEAST of my concerns right now. Two months ago it was the biggest of my concerns, but now with my mood changes, the intense mind fog, the aging on the skin and face, the rashes are all weighing me down.

Bottom line, I think I'd rather just have the haiross, and feel great otherwise. If I'm going to be losing my hair anyway, at least I don't have have all these other side effects and pay $70/ month for the privilage.

I quit Propecia for 2 weeks recently and felt amazing. I was full of energy, I could concentrate my sex drive was through the roof, the rash on my wrist began to go away. I got back on the drug because I started to go through a shed. I don't know though, I think I might be able to handle one last shed, if it means I can have this horrible drug, that I've always felt major regret about taking, of my back for good.

Any 1st hand experience on quitting. How much hair do you think I'd lose?
How long did it take for the brain fog to go away? Did you quit cold turkey?