Quitting Propecia After 9 Years

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
So the choice is to live healthy, be happy and have no hair....or stay on the drug that will eventually lose it's effectiveness, but yet will pretty much take away you're motivation to live even though you will be keeping your hair...

..there is more to life than hair....there are also other natural things that will help slow loss....keep in mind that there will be a major breakthrough within the next 5 years....things have been ramping up more than ever so just keep positive!

Well put but I seriously doubt there will ever be a cure for baldness. Not to be the prophet of doom but in the long run this view is probably most helpful and realisitic. Been seeking a cure since Roman times, just ask Julius Caesar but I doubt one will be found.

coolfx35

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation, i am also on the same boat, thinking about quitting after 10 years, I am already married with 2 kids. I don't know why i care so much about my hair.

D-Money

Reaction score
Considering quitting after 7 years

Hi I wanted to start a new thread but I'm new to the forum and due to "anti Spam" measures I can't do that. I'm currently taking finasteride and have no sexual side effects. I am however experiencing some others. I have had slight gynecomastia since puberty and it has worsened lately. I'm finding it harder and harder to lose weight. I started taking it after a transplant and had good results but I'm thinking getting my weight under control is now very important to my long term health. Am I safe because I haven't experienced these side effects while on the drug or are there people who have had no sides on the drug and then started to get them coming off the drug?

northwind

Reaction score
Late to peanut gallery but have 2 yrs experience

I read all of this thread in 2013 before I started my regime of 1.25 mg of generic proprecia and 1 ml of generic rogaine.

All I can say is WOW thank the higher powers for generic Proprecia! I know, I know there are sides to the Finasteride (generic proprecia) but they've been all beneficial for me. Check yourself though. Before I started, I had blood samples to see where my T-levels where. I was on the upper end of normal - honestly, this was causing a lot of problems in my marriage because even in my mid-30s, my younger wife teased me for having a teenager libido. Really, this might seem like I'm bragging but because of my sex drive, I've longed for the days when I'm so old that I don't care about women anymore and want to talk with other retirees rocking chair for 6 hours a day.

Anyways, point #1 is get your T-levels checked before starting a finasteride treatment. If you're on the higher end of normal or above normal, then finasteride might help you too!

Next, point #2, generic Rogaine can work wonders on all areas; even the temple region. But, the temple region is tricky. Tap the applicator in the thinner areas; don't squeeze the ball to push out any liquid. Or, if you can afford the form or spray version, use this until you have have grown enough hair to hold the liquid dabber type.

I did a Tim Ferris approach on experimenting with generic Rogaine on my temple regions - only applying to the right side for 1 year. I did see improvement! But the cost was lost minoxidil running down my forehead until I finally relaxed to dab (tap) the applicator.

Tip #3, tell your close family and friends your starting treatment. They can tell you if something is going wacky with your personality. And by the way, they'll start to see a headful of difference so they're going to know something is up anyways. Surprisingly, coworkers are clueless.

But back to this topic, after 2 years on generic Proprecia, I'm thankful and thinking clearer with both sides of my brain. My wife says I've found my superpower in my verbal ability - I'm able to connect my thoughts to words and present them in a coherent argument (warning: this means 1-2 months of relationship stress where your wife might be bewildered how you can spar verbally; possibly remind her you're less demanding sexually). For my muscle mass, I'm still able to maintain a cut body and almost find it easier because I'm more consistent and focused in my short workouts (I'm an IT pro, surfer, rock climber, snowboarder, never cared to look like a body builder, and weight train do High Intensity Interval Training 10 min 3x per week).

I am 38 years old, 5'9", weigh 170 lbs.

Last edited:

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well after 9 years of being on finasteride and 9 years of dealing with it's side effects, i think I am finally ready to throw in the towel. I started at 18 and I am now 27.

It has taken me from one of the horniest people I know and turned me into someone who couldn't get up to bang my ex-girlfriend who is model pretty. My own fear of quitting finasteride and going bald basically destroyed my relationship. My girlfriend complained about a lack of intimacy for about 9 months before she finally gave up.

So I've decided the time is now to grow a pair (literally and figuratively) and accept baldness. I would give anything to go back in time and just accept baldness and I am embarassed I kept taking the drug for so long when it was having such negative side effects. What a messed up set of priorities.

I would appreciate it if someone who has been through this before could let me know how quickly the finasteride will lose it's impact on my hair (e.g. how long until it will be like I never took finasteride).

Also, I use Nizoral twice a week, is it worth adding anything else to my regimen? I am not willing to take anything with the potential to cause sexual side effects.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Badbeat2,

I was just wondering whether you actually did it and what were the results? Did you suffer from PFS? Did you lose the hair you had gained?

Hi all, if you have been on finasteride for more than a year and have subsequently quit, please do share your experiences - specifically, did u experience any PFS and did you manage to keep the hair you had grown?

9 year finasteride user here - thinking of quitting.

Thanks
RS

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Petch, have you noticed in the 10 years you've been on finasteride, has it lost it's efficacy at all? Have you kept most or all of the hair you had when you started?

also I've recently been doing pelvic floor exercises, and maybe it's my imagination but but orgasms seem more intense. Makes sense I guess since the muscle is involved in ejaculation. They're really simple exercises to do

Quantum Cat, what exercises do you do? Care to share?

pritheev

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO I could care less about sex. my hair is more important than sex. I would rather have erection problems or lack of desire for sex, in order to keep my hair. everyone is different

once you stop finasteride, it can take 3-12 months before you experience catch up hairloss. when did you stop finasteride?

Did You get sucess from it bro?