Quitting Minoxidil, Starting Finasteride - Good Idea?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil for 7 weeks now plus dermarolling once a week. I have seen noticeable regrowth but am still diffusely thin across the top of my head. I think if I continued this regimen in time then I might be okay as far as hair regrowth, but I've read that finasteride is supposed to work well for diffuse thinners and the minoxidil causes odd sensations/pain in the chest area almost daily. Also have had dark circles under eyes despite getting adequate sleep. I don't know what the long-term effects of this could be, but if they exist I'm pretty sure they're probably not worth what I could gain in hair. I plan on starting finasteride within the next month or so. Should I complete 3 months of minoxidil use, then start finasteride in hopes of maintaining what I've got (and hopefully regrowing more in time)?. I think I would continue dermarolling as well and instead use castor oil/almond oil and maybe add some other natural solutions up to a few times weekly. I forgot to mention I've already been using them for the last week randomly - 3 times so far. there's been noticable regrowth in the crown and temple areas. However, still overall thin on top.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil and finasteride work via different mechanisms, if you stop minoxidil you will lose any gains you made even while on finasteride.

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very bad idea. Quitting Minoxidil now means that you'll lose all your gains in the next 3-6 months despite taking Finasteride.

Finasteride blocks DHT, and Minoxidil is a Vasodilator that opens blood vessels and causes hair to grow for longer. You need both for maximum effect. Finasteride makes the environment much better for Minoxidil to work its magic. It's that simple.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very bad idea. Quitting Minoxidil now means that you'll lose all your gains in the next 3-6 months despite taking Finasteride.

Finasteride blocks DHT, and Minoxidil is a Vasodilator that opens blood vessels and causes hair to grow for longer. You need both for maximum effect. Finasteride makes the environment much better for Minoxidil to work its magic. It's that simple.
Minoxidil and finasteride work via different mechanisms, if you stop minoxidil you will lose any gains you made even while on finasteride.

If that's the case that finasteride can't maintain minoxidil-grown hairs on it's own, it sounds like minoxidil produces only artificial surface hairs instead of real ones. Since quitting is a bad idea, what would either of you recommend? I'd prefer to use a possibly more natural solution that's effective, but without potentially negative impacts to other areas of my health. I'm considering saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil extract, plus rosemary oil, castor oil, and almond oil. Or is all of that a bad idea, and just stick with minoxidil regardless, and add finasteride?

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stay on the minoxidil man, what does it cost you?!
Financially it's not a problem, I've just been experiencing odd sensations in the heart/chest area. One time during exercise I stopped because I felt like my heart was beating way too fast, it felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. It doesn't seem worth it to me to use in the long-term if these things are going to persist.

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil creates real hairs because it's a vasodilator that opens up hair follicles so oxygen can get to them. It also for some reason tricks your hairs to grow for longer and thus they stop being miniaturized. Not even experts though why it works as well as it does but it's done wonders for my crown and hairline.

Finasteride blocks DHT from attacking hair on your scalp. It can grow new hair but it's better at maintaining long term (5+ years).

Natural remedies may help but they're definitely less effective than Finasteride and Minoxidil.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Financially it's not a problem, I've just been experiencing odd sensations in the heart/chest area. One time during exercise I stopped because I felt like my heart was beating way too fast, it felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. It doesn't seem worth it to me to use in the long-term if these things are going to persist.
I also had that happening from using minoxidil for my beard and I would highly suggest stop using it. Same exact thing, heart felt like it was about to explode, shortness of breath, dizzy, etc. All this despite being a collegiate athlete at the time with excellent cardio.

Minoxidil leaches out potassium (one of the main things that regulate heart rate), and causes sodium to be in retention much longer than normal. I found these things out when I had a blood test and was told my potassium was very low despite eating lots of potatoes (much higher potassium than bananas) and bananas.

Long term users of minoxidil on average have worse heart health than non-users according to at least one study I read.

So if I were you I would ween off of minoxidil, you will have some losses but finasteride is much more effective overtime and IMO much safer.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil creates real hairs because it's a vasodilator that opens up hair follicles so oxygen can get to them. It also for some reason tricks your hairs to grow for longer and thus they stop being miniaturized. Not even experts though why it works as well as it does but it's done wonders for my crown and hairline.

Finasteride blocks DHT from attacking hair on your scalp. It can grow new hair but it's better at maintaining long term (5+ years).

Natural remedies may help but they're definitely less effective than Finasteride and Minoxidil.

I believe there are multiple studies showing natural solutions I listed above are just as effective as minoxidil or finasteride, sometimes more. Also an anecdotal example but I know someone who knew someone with female pattern baldness who basically grew all of her hair back just using an entirely natural regimen of oils and massaging. I even had the whole thing written down and I stupidly lost it. Assuming she didn’t use anything else, the results were amazing. I saw a before and after and she went from balding badly to a full head of hair basically.

I also had that happening from using minoxidil for my beard and I would highly suggest stop using it. Same exact thing, heart felt like it was about to explode, shortness of breath, dizzy, etc. All this despite being a collegiate athlete at the time with excellent cardio.

Minoxidil leaches out potassium (one of the main things that regulate heart rate), and causes sodium to be in retention much longer than normal. I found these things out when I had a blood test and was told my potassium was very low despite eating lots of potatoes (much higher potassium than bananas) and bananas.

Long term users of minoxidil on average have worse heart health than non-users according to at least one study I read.

So if I were you I would ween off of minoxidil, you will have some losses but finasteride is much more effective overtime and IMO much safer

I saw that same study. I guess I’ll have to resolve to either finasteride and natural remedies or just natural remedies. I think you’re right about weening off the minoxidil to minimize losses. Hopefully I can keep atleast some, if not regrow it all with different solutions other than minoxidil.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil leaches out potassium (one of the main things that regulate heart rate), and causes sodium to be in retention much longer than normal.

hmm, thats the very opposite of what spironolactone does

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe there are multiple studies showing natural solutions I listed above are just as effective as minoxidil or finasteride, sometimes more. Also an anecdotal example but I know someone who knew someone with female pattern baldness who basically grew all of her hair back just using an entirely natural regimen of oils and massaging. I even had the whole thing written down and I stupidly lost it. Assuming she didn’t use anything else, the results were amazing. I saw a before and after and she went from balding badly to a full head of hair basically.

I saw that same study. I guess I’ll have to resolve to either finasteride and natural remedies or just natural remedies. I think you’re right about weening off the minoxidil to minimize losses. Hopefully I can keep atleast some, if not regrow it all with different solutions other than minoxidil.
You will feel fine on finasteride as opposed to minoxidil IMO, there are studies that show that finasteride actually improves heart health (and it makes sense, men run a higher risk of heart disease). If you don't, then you can stop using it and recover within a month or two.

Natural remedies may help hairloss in a few but for most it won't be enough, it's more useful to supplement in addition to finasteride rather than standalone, or in the case of people too young to start treatment.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will feel fine on finasteride as opposed to minoxidil IMO, there are studies that show that finasteride actually improves heart health (and it makes sense, men run a higher risk of heart disease). If you don't, then you can stop using it and recover within a month or two.

Natural remedies may help hairloss in a few but for most it won't be enough, it's more useful to supplement in addition to finasteride rather than standalone, or in the case of people too young to start treatment.

I’ll definitely have to give finasteride atleast a try. I hope it doesn’t kill my sex drive. I didn’t list it because I wasnt sure but I’m beginning to believe minoxidil has been the reason why my sex drive has also been considerably lower than usual lately. I’m going to quit this much sooner than I thought sometime next week, Amp up the natural remedies and get on finasteride and hope that doesn’t make things even worse with sides. Hopefully I’m in the group of people who experience no sides from finasteride. If not, I’ll give dutasteride a shot and if all else fails, accept the fate of having a bald head.

Edit- also thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll definitely have to give finasteride atleast a try. I hope it doesn’t kill my sex drive. I didn’t list it because I wasnt sure but I’m beginning to believe minoxidil has been the reason why my sex drive has also been considerably lower than usual lately. I’m going to quit this much sooner than I thought sometime next week, Amp up the natural remedies and get on finasteride and hope that doesn’t make things even worse with sides. Hopefully I’m in the group of people who experience no sides from finasteride. If not, I’ll give dutasteride a shot and if all else fails, accept the fate of having a bald head.

Edit- also thanks for the feedback!
All good. make sure Nizoral 2 or 3x a week is in your regimen as well. Leave it in your scalp for at least 2-3 minutes for maximum impact.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All good. make sure Nizoral 2 or 3x a week is in your regimen as well. Leave it in your scalp for at least 2-3 minutes for maximum impact.
Forgot to mention, I’ve been using nizoral as basically my only shampoo for over 6 months now. I only use it 3-4 times a week, other times I bathe I just use soap even for my hair.

I quit minoxidil tonight, just going to stick with dermarolling and try scalp massages and oils. It’s just not worth the sides. I’ll give finasteride a try soon. If there’s no sides, I’ll stay on it.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, get on finasteride sooner than later or the minoxidil reliant hairs will all fall out. Within the week if possible.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
i had chestpains for a few weeks, but my body adapted and i have no issues any longer. stick to minoxidil and add finasteride to get the best possible results .

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, get on finasteride sooner than later or the minoxidil reliant hairs will all fall out. Within the week if possible.

i had chestpains for a few weeks, but my body adapted and i have no issues any longer. stick to minoxidil and add finasteride to get the best possible results .

It's been over 24 hours since I stopped using and I just experienced chest aching. It's possible it's related to anxiety or minoxidil still in my system? Either way, minoxidil probably wouldn't help. If the chest pain goes away, I'll try to do once a day to keep it moderate. But right now, I need to get this resolved as soon as possible.

It could be awhile before I get finasteride, but I will give it a shot when I can.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been over 24 hours since I stopped using and I just experienced chest aching. It's possible it's related to anxiety or minoxidil still in my system? Either way, minoxidil probably wouldn't help. If the chest pain goes away, I'll try to do once a day to keep it moderate. But right now, I need to get this resolved as soon as possible.

It could be awhile before I get finasteride, but I will give it a shot when I can.
Can take up to a month before your body recovers, took me about that long.
The label states to stop using it if you experience any chest pains.