Quitting minoxidil Pre Fue Operation For 3 Months

sonypc100

Reaction score
Hi

I've been advised to quit minoxidil for the 3 months prior to a FUE op as apparently it prevents excess bleeding during the op.

My question is, should any loss that comes from stopping minoxidil for 3 months return after usage starts again post op?

Thanks

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been advised to quit minoxidil for the 3 months prior to a FUE op as apparently it prevents excess bleeding during the op.

My question is, should any loss that comes from stopping minoxidil for 3 months return after usage starts again post op?

Thanks

Hello, do you have any regrowth from minoxidil,
If you had hair growth from minoxidil then stopping means (most probably) hair loss, but if you continue afterwards, then you see falling hairs growing again (most probably).

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on Min? Not to worry you, but I quit Min 7 months ago, and within 2 months of quitting, I had very heavy shedding/ loss. It seems to have returned to its natural baseline now (thickened up a lot), but I am almost certain healthy hairs were lost temporarily too.

sonypc100

Reaction score
Hello, do you have any regrowth from minoxidil,
If you had hair growth from minoxidil then stopping means (most probably) hair loss, but if you continue afterwards, then you see falling hairs growing again (most probably).

It was a pre emptive measure on my part in that I had no loss on my crown and still don't, so I cant know for sure if minoxidil has worked or if I would have kept everything anyway.

sonypc100

Reaction score
You should stop it two weeks before the surgery and resume it two weeks after.

3 months is setting yourself up for a horror story.

Thanks.

I wonder why 3 months has been suggested? It does seem a long time pre surgery to have to stop.

What happens if people do not stop at all pre surgery, what is the issue minoxidil might have when having FUE?