Quitting finasteride

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow will be week 5 sin finasteride.

No changes in my hair. None. BUT, I am certainly getting more body hair. My chest hair is filling out and I notice more facial hair.
I had very little body hair to begin with.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost week 6 here.

Havent noticed much difference still. Nothing. A few extra hairs in the shower but VERY minor.
Seriously, I'm stunned that I havent gone through a massive shed yet. It may be soon though, we'll see.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com,

I also stopped taking gnc megaman because it made me shed. I've been thinking of trying copper peptides and I'm wondering if I should stay away from the american crew brand since I've heard it contains saw palmetto.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't finasteride made my body hair grow anymore. I've never really had that much and it hasn't really changed after taking finasteride. Anyone else grow major body hair?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride will inhibit body-hair growth. I've noticed an increase in body and facial since having stopped finasteride, not since having started.

SE-freak

Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
finasteride will inhibit body-hair growth. I've noticed an increase in body and facial since having stopped finasteride, not since having started.
You noticed it getting thinner or just growing slower?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:

I found my shedding resumed after 3-4 weeks off of Finasteride... so you definitely have me beat. :) But thanks for the updates.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
20sometingtoo said:
You noticed it getting thinner or just growing slower?

I dont really remember because I was only 19 when I first started finasteride about 4 years ago. I had very little body and facial hair to begin with. I just didnt pay much attention to it. Only now that I've stopped finasteride and am aware of its effects, I've noticed the increase in body/facial hair.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
20sometingtoo said:

I found my shedding resumed after 3-4 weeks off of Finasteride... so you definitely have me beat. :) But thanks for the updates.

Did you get back on the wagon after the shed?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
Did you get back on the wagon after the shed?

Yep, I was right back on the juice after week five. And it took as long as 6 months to get my hair back where I started. But it only took around a week to completely stop the shedding. And just recently I added minoxidil, which is growing hair in the few places where Finasteride wasn't that successful. Anyway, I wish you luck. :)

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Week 7 now.

I have noticed an increase in shedding. I've noticed I'm shedding primarily thin hairs as opposed to the usual mix of thin and thick, short and long. I'm not sure if thats a bad sign or what.
I'm not sure if I should stick it out another week or get back on finasteride now. Any suggestions?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this shed has decreased in intensity. Not so bad now. I was scared for a little while. I think I'll ride out the rest of this for another couple of weeks. If I can make it to 3 months without any adverse effects then I'll assume I never really needed finasteride in the first place.

jeffsss

Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
Week 7 now.

I have noticed an increase in shedding. I've noticed I'm shedding primarily thin hairs as opposed to the usual mix of thin and thick, short and long. I'm not sure if thats a bad sign or what.
I'm not sure if I should stick it out another week or get back on finasteride now. Any suggestions?

I've heard two theorys:

1. finasteride cannont and will not increase your hair loss..

2. finasteride can cause Telogen Effluvium because of the sudden reduction of DHT

how can one know which is true?

Cassin

Reaction score
jumpedthegun said:
HairLossTalk.com,

I also stopped taking gnc megaman because it made me shed. I've been thinking of trying copper peptides and I'm wondering if I should stay away from the american crew brand since I've heard it contains saw palmetto.

The Saw Palmetto in AC is nothing to be concerned with. It's a solid product that I used for half a year.

SE-freak

Reaction score
finasteride does not cause follicle miniaturization in either case. You have nothing to lose so don't turn your brain into jelly over this.

Cassin

Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
Week 7 now.

20 somethingtoo

It can take around 6 months for you to start noticing something without finasteride. I would be surprised if it took that long but you will eventually notice something. You have been on finasteride for 4 years and you quit? If so, when all the hairs that finasteride kept are suddenly gone, the results will indeed be drastic. I strongly suggest you find something to fight DHT before you waste all of those years of success from finasteride.

You should consider HairLossTalk.com's or The Gardener's regimen.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
20 somethingtoo

It can take around 6 months for you to start noticing something without finasteride. I would be surprised if it took that long but you will eventually notice something. You have been on finasteride for 4 years and you quit? If so, when all the hairs that finasteride kept are suddenly gone, the results will indeed be drastic. I strongly suggest you find something to fight DHT before you waste all of those years of success from finasteride.

You should consider HairLossTalk.com's or The Gardener's regimen.

I agree, I've been thinking about buzzing my hair and using revivogen or something similar. I have full coverage, but am losing density. BUT, the whole reason for quitting was the belief that I might not have traditional male pattern baldness. The thinning is equal everywhere, including back and sides. I mean, there is no pattern whatsoever. So I quit finasteride to see if it was making any difference as well as to see if I was experiencing any side effects. I DO feel like my mind is clearer since having quit. Less fogginess. But, my hair hasnt improved, obviously. Anyway, I'm going to look into another form of DHT blockage.
HairLossTalk.com what have you used in substitution for finasteride?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut down on my finasteride intake about 4 months ago and I notices TONS of shedding, more shedding than I have ever noticed in my life! Everyone is different though and it may be possible that you don't need finasteride. I have coverage but no density what so ever. I would LOVE to get off finasteride but seeing the results from just cutting back I can't imagine how quickly I would shed and lose what I have manged to maintian if I were to get off finasteride...

At this point I may be going with transplants and get off the damn finasteride for good. Before anyone asks. I have no side effects , except maybe a foggy mind, I am just sick of putting a pill in my body for the last 6-7 years of my life.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Week 8 here, still no finasteride.

Still a slight shed going on. It hasnt seemed to made my hair look any worse yet though. Strange. The body hair growth seems to have slowed down now. The first 3 or 4 weeks it was amazing how quickly everything thickened up. I've been pretty bare-chested all my life and within 4 weeks of dropping finasteride, BAM, a good little patch o' hair. It doesnt bother me though.
I've been using the Lasecomb daily for about 2 weeks, so that MAY be helping to stablize the shed.

Onward to week 9!

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Week 9.

So the shed continues. Its a mild but consistent shed. I havent yet noticed the difference cosmetically. I think I might give myself another week and if it doesnt subside, then I'll get back on finasteride.

On a side note, my semen has been very healthy looking - much whiter and thicker. But, still no noticeable difference in my libido. I guess I never really exprienced a decreased in desire while on finasteride.

To tell you the truth, I don't feel any different than when I was on finasteride. Not one bit. Im surprised that my hair has held up as well as it did after nearly 2.5 months.