Quitting after using finasteride for 8 years:Any long term finasteride users still out there?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it's been a couple weeks, I got my t and other hormones tested today. My t was on the lower end but still within the normal range, still waiting on the results of the other hormone tests. As far as sexual side effects / libido, it went up the week after I stopped, but seems to have gone back down now. I'm waiting to see what my estrogen levels are, curious if it made me estrogen dominant, but there could be a lot of other causes... I'm actually kind of hoping it's a hormonal cause, because that is easier to fix than other causes.
I'm looking into ru58841, but I'm concerned as it is untested at least in any large trials. What type of side effects do people see from it? How much of it is systemically absorbed into the body?

I'm starting to feel the all familiar itch on my scalp, I haven't felt that in years.

RU would give same type of sides as finasteride, however pretty much no one has ever complained of sides while on it presumably because very little gets absorbed systemically. Also stay well under 100mg daily because of potential heart related sides if they even exist

Defeated

Reaction score
The thing is, even if finasteride has the same sides as RU, the mechanism of action is completely different. I ordered some, still unsure about it. If it does remain in the system over the long term it could have a different effect than finasteride.
My total t was 390... within the normal range, but very low for someone that's 29. Free t was lower than the normal range. I could do trt, but not sure I want to go down that road.

God this scalp itch is killing me.

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
how old are u? maybe ur getting ED cuz ur older? did u get any blood work done.get your hormones checked. ?

i dunno

Defeated

Reaction score
how old are u? maybe ur getting ED cuz ur older? did u get any blood work done.get your hormones checked. ?

i dunno

I'm 29. I did just get my hormones checked. My total t is on the lower end of the normal range, my prolactin is high (higher than normal range), my free T is low, and my LH / FSH are kind of low. A lot of this could be attributed to finasteride. Since quitting my EQ (erection quality) has gotten better, but it is still far from 100%. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do in the future as far as halting hair loss. I unfortunately don't have a good facial structure to get away with just shaving it.
I have very receded temples and a little bit of thinning in the front. finasteride pretty much halted my hairloss but didn't really regrow much.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude if your having ED the best thing to do is cut out the most likely suspect and with finasteride as an anti-androgen I think I would go with that. Not to be a scaremonger, but there are plenty of ppl that have had bad side effects and thats why propeciahelp and other sites exist. I think you are fine, but 8 years is quite a long time and from the articles posted its the change in the androgen receptors that lead to the persistent side effects, not the hormone level itself. I value my dick more than my hair, so if I was in your boat I would say well at least I had my run with hair and move one. Go on topical DHT inhibitors if it makes you feel better, but I would cut out the most likely culprit to the ED and drop finasteride.

I just read one of the studies.

Since finasteride inhibits T conversion into DHT, which is responsible for most androgen activity, it is plausible that prolonged finasteride use in predisposed individuals could simulate the effects of aging in young men. Since some of the effects of androgen inhibition can not be reversed once local androgen levels are re-established, it is temping to speculate that patients could still suffer from adverse sexual effects several months or even permanently after finasteride discontinuation because of aging effects caused prematurely by androgens deprivation, namely by artificially reduced DHT concentrations. Indeed, 2 of our patients were found to have low DHT levels in the cerebrospinal fluids long after finasteride discontinuation by Melcangi et al.

Scary stuff, I don't know what causes some to be predisposed to adverse reactions. I never noticed any change, but maybe it was slow and subtle. As far as the studies linked, it's all but conclusive. One has to look at the quality of the study and how it is conducted. I have noticed a loss of sensitivity and 'pleasurable response to touch' for lack of a better term. It's really hard to say finasteride caused this, there are a LOT of other things that can over time, but that study makes me wonder if it contributed.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 29. I did just get my hormones checked. My total t is on the lower end of the normal range, my prolactin is high (higher than normal range), my free T is low, and my LH / FSH are kind of low. A lot of this could be attributed to finasteride. Since quitting my EQ (erection quality) has gotten better, but it is still far from 100%. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do in the future as far as halting hair loss. I unfortunately don't have a good facial structure to get away with just shaving it.
I have very receded temples and a little bit of thinning in the front. finasteride pretty much halted my hairloss but didn't really regrow much.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read one of the studies.

Scary stuff, I don't know what causes some to be predisposed to adverse reactions. I never noticed any change, but maybe it was slow and subtle. As far as the studies linked, it's all but conclusive. One has to look at the quality of the study and how it is conducted. I have noticed a loss of sensitivity and 'pleasurable response to touch' for lack of a better term. It's really hard to say finasteride caused this, there are a LOT of other things that can over time, but that study makes me wonder if it contributed.

"Since some of the effects of androgen inhibition can not be reversed once local androgen levels are re-established."

Lol, what?

"it is temping to speculate that patients could still suffer from adverse sexual effects several months or even permanently after finasteride discontinuation because of aging effects caused prematurely by androgens deprivation, namely by artificially reduced DHT concentrations."

Yes, because androgens slow down aging and protect from DNA damage and oxidation.

Defeated

Reaction score
"Since some of the effects of androgen inhibition can not be reversed once local androgen levels are re-established."

Lol, what?
Yea, I don't know. There are several problems with that study, it does raise questions though.
"it is temping to speculate that patients could still suffer from adverse sexual effects several months or even permanently after finasteride discontinuation because of aging effects caused prematurely by androgens deprivation, namely by artificially reduced DHT concentrations."

Yes, because androgens slow down aging and protect from DNA damage and oxidation.

Really? I didn't realize that. Not sure which is better at protecting, DHT or T.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
That was a joke, it dose the opposite, lol.
Thank you I assumed it was sarcasm at first, then the other guy taking it seriously made me doubt >_>"

Defeated

Reaction score
That was a joke, it dose the opposite, lol.

Ok, but, DHT does play a roll in healthy male sexual function, although it may be an indirect one, in particular maintaining proper levels of estrogen and prolactin, but an imbalance in the endocrine system can cause ED. It's not just as simple as not enough testosterone, a proper balance is needed. DHT is used to sustain levels of nitric oxide in the penis and promote vasodilation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_u...atase deficient man erectile function&f=false

Back when I first started finasteride, I thought DHT was predominantly used in sexual development and had little beneficial use in the adult male, I don't hold that view anymore.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, but, DHT does play a roll in healthy male sexual function, although it may be an indirect one, in particular maintaining proper levels of estrogen and prolactin, but an imbalance in the endocrine system can cause ED. It's not just as simple as not enough testosterone, a proper balance is needed. DHT is used to sustain levels of nitric oxide in the penis and promote vasodilation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_uNQMIByXDAC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=aromatase+deficient+man+erectile+function&source=bl&ots=FcINOJoRyk&sig=QQpaPYOl-F_Jji2XFpT4Tj6YnHQ&hair loss=en&sa=X&ei=QWbeU8zQDsnR7AbDpIGABw&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=aromatase%20deficient%20man%20erectile%20function&f=false

Back when I first started finasteride, I thought DHT was predominantly used in sexual development and had little beneficial use in the adult male, I don't hold that view anymore.

I had a big argument for this on another hair loss forum where I held the same view as you did.

Now, I don't think that anymore. At least nothing that would promote ED if you are not susceptible to it in the first place.

Reaction score
Some antidepressant pills have more and more sexual side effects than finasteride. And some diseases can cause sexual side effects like prostatitis or kidney infections, diabetes, cancers etc.. I can't understand some people.

How do you know that finasteride does it ?

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
Some antidepressant pills have more and more sexual side effects than finasteride. And some diseases can cause sexual side effects like prostatitis or kidney infections, diabetes, cancers etc.. I can't understand some people.

How do you know that finasteride does it ?

It's usually finasteride or placebo.

The probability of people in their 20s developing sexual problems in concurrence with finasteride treatment is little.