Questions On Minoxidil Treatment For A Receding Hairline

looking for hair advice

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm a 24 year old that has experienced hairloss at the temples for the last 6-12 months, leaving me at something like a norwood 1.5 probably. Right now, following advice from this forum, I've decided to just monitor my hairline for a month or two to see what happens, but I'm considering what to do after that. As I'm only losing hair at the temples (my crown is still very thick, no sign of any hairloss there), I'm considering using minoxidil to see if it helps. So, I have a few questions!

- Does minoxidil have any known side effects? If so, what and how common are they? Someone on here told me about some serious potential side effects for the brain and eyes, but I haven't heard about it anywhere else.
- I've been reading about a pretty affordable package of minoxidil distributed in my country (a three-month-supply for 40 bucks), and the online leaflet tells me to apply 1 ml twice a day on the affected area. Furthermore, it tells me to always apply 1 ml - no matter if I'm just treating the whole scalp or if I'm treating just the hairline (which would be the case for me for now). Here, I'm interested in if 1. the effect drastically reduces if I apply the solution just once per day 2. do I really need to apply 1 ml if I'm only treating the smaller area of my hairline? Could I possibly save some money by only applying, lets say, half the dosage?
- Does the solution smell?
- What % concentration should I be looking for?
- In general, how effective is a mino treatment? Can I expect a completely halted hairloss? How common is hair regrowth?
- Is there anything else I should know about beforehand?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pictures of your hair would be useful.

To answers your questions.

Solution has no smell but it can leave the hair looking quite greasy, I only apply once a night and shower in the morning.

5% is the concentration that most of the available products have.

In general, the effectiveness varies between people, some people show really great recovery and some don't show anything but further regression.

You will want to know that after usage, a lot of shedding can happen, it is important to be in a good mindset and continue treatment as shedding is the first step to regrowth.

looking for hair advice

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pictures of your hair would be useful.

To answers your questions.

Solution has no smell but it can leave the hair looking quite greasy, I only apply once a night and shower in the morning.

5% is the concentration that most of the available products have.

In general, the effectiveness varies between people, some people show really great recovery and some don't show anything but further regression.

You will want to know that after usage, a lot of shedding can happen, it is important to be in a good mindset and continue treatment as shedding is the first step to regrowth.

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics of my hair with wet hair and also some with dry hair at different angles, taken around the same time. What do you make of them? So far, I have only noticed some recession at the temples and I don't mind that too much in itself, but I'm really stressed about further hair loss. But I would only be treating my hairline, and in particular the temples, rather than the full crown.

Attachments

• 20190215_170530.jpg
    20190215_170530.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 20190215_171004.jpg
    20190215_171004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 20190215_171039.jpg
    20190215_171039.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 292
  • wet hair february 2019 1.png
    wet hair february 2019 1.png
    715.8 KB · Views: 283
  • wet hair february 2019 2.png
    wet hair february 2019 2.png
    745.4 KB · Views: 298
  • wet hair february 2019 3.png
    wet hair february 2019 3.png
    520.9 KB · Views: 292
  • wet hair february 2019 4.png
    wet hair february 2019 4.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 304

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if minoxidil will help you, because it seems quite unlikely you are getting any hair back in the temple. Your hair is still pretty good, and I bet when it is dry it looks good? Is it just your hairline maturing?

Like you said, prevention of further hair loss is key, so I would say monitor it for the next few months, eat healthy, be healthy, that is the first step. I don't really think minoxidil is right for you at this stage.

looking for hair advice

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if minoxidil will help you, because it seems quite unlikely you are getting any hair back in the temple. Your hair is still pretty good, and I bet when it is dry it looks good? Is it just your hairline maturing?

Like you said, prevention of further hair loss is key, so I would say monitor it for the next few months, eat healthy, be healthy, that is the first step. I don't really think minoxidil is right for you at this stage.

Thanks, I'll keep monitoring before I do anything else.

I'm a bit confused about the term "maturing hairline". Some people say that it's a thing while others say it's just a codeword for early stages of hairloss pretty much. How do I know if I'm losing my hair or if I'm just seeing signs of a maturing hairline?

ComeBackTemples

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My temples are bigger than yours and this is where i want to focus as well. I have Heard applying it once a day yields similar results. I want to combine it with dermarolling.

I am just wondering about the side effects. As I apply less than 1ml and that to a small area it should be less likely i observe anything? Hopefully the Bad skin is restricted to the area where minoxidil is applied?