Questions for UK members please.

UKhelpplease

Reaction score
Hello, a few things on my mind that i'd like people on here from the UK to respond to please...

1. I saw a doctor when I was down about mt hair and mentioned finasteride - he was shocked that i'd even consider this. Has anyone had any joy from their doctors?

2. Where in general are UK people buying their finasteride from - i'm really reluctant to use it but all success stories on here are usually down to it.

3. I've been using Revivogen for 2 years - I genuinely think it has slowed down my hairloss, although my hair has become really crap and wirey. I'm considering Minoxidil, but everyone here says that is not going to stop hairloss in any way. I'm worried about stopping Rev and am considering alternating nightly between Min and Rev perhaps - any comments?

4. Can anyone recommend a really good thickening shampoo? I've been using l'oreal but after seeing some of the comments here that might be the reason my hair is so dry. On a similar subject, can anyone recommend a good styling product - I used to use wax but that just used to pull all the hair out my head. I now just spray stuff on.

Thank you muchly...

dr_jekyll

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Matey

There are only 3 treatments that are proven to beat hairloss - Id would recommend using all of them if you want to stop your hairloss.

You can buy finasteride and minoxidil from many online pharmacies

do a google search for inhouse pharmacy or united pharmacy

As for a thickening shampoo - nizoral has been proven to thicken hair by 8% and is also recognized as anti DHT. I would definitely recommend using it more than once a week though - maybe every other day

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1. Why shocked? My doctor didn't know anything about finasteride or hairloss treatments. completely ignorant.

2. Reluctant to use the best hairloss treatment there is? Nahhhhh. I got a prescription for Propecia so I pick it up from the chemists every three months.

3. Don't know anything about Revivogen. People are right about minoxidil, it won't halt your hairloss, or rather it wont tackle the problem at the "root" (ha - haha) but will grow you more hair so will appear to be working. Results won't last as long compared to combining it with finasteride.

4. Thickening shampoo, you mean artificially thicken? I found the l'oreal one to be quite good when I used it..But you should use Nizoral along with your regular shampoo, as someone else mentioned. Styling products - there's this really cool stuff they sell at Toni&Guy it's called a "matt paste" or something. It's kinda grey/beige coloured. It's strong like wax but doesnt pull your hair out and - bonus - it doesnt make your hair look greasy. good stuff.

UKhelpplease

Reaction score
I don't think my Doctor had ever been asked about finasteride - he looked it up and said something like 'this stuff feminises you'. He just told me to deal with it and something ridiculous like 'your mates will start losing their hair you'll be ok cos you've already been through it'.

I'm still relctant to use finasteride though but might as well keep with the Rev if its been sustaining my hair. After the amount of time i've been on it the instructions say to knock it back to 2 or 3 times a week, so I was considering adding Minoxidil in on my 'days off'. Although someone on here said that regular use of Nizoral has a similar effect of minoxidil so i've upped that.

As for the shampoo - I just meant a sort of artificially thickening one, like the L'Oreal one i'm using. I use Nizoral anyway but my hair is pretty lame if I just use that, so like to use a thickening one after.

Thanks everybody.

Will try the Toni & Guy stuff - cheers

mr_misterr

Reaction score
I Use John Frieda Thickening shampoo. You can get it from Superdrug or any supermarket.
It does the trick for me

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
UKhelpplease said:
I don't think my Doctor had ever been asked about finasteride - he looked it up and said something like 'this stuff feminises you'. He just told me to deal with it and something ridiculous like 'your mates will start losing their hair you'll be ok cos you've already been through it'.

I'm still relctant to use finasteride though but might as well keep with the Rev if its been sustaining my hair. After the amount of time i've been on it the instructions say to knock it back to 2 or 3 times a week, so I was considering adding Minoxidil in on my 'days off'. Although someone on here said that regular use of Nizoral has a similar effect of minoxidil so i've upped that.

As for the shampoo - I just meant a sort of artificially thickening one, like the L'Oreal one i'm using. I use Nizoral anyway but my hair is pretty lame if I just use that, so like to use a thickening one after.

Thanks everybody.

Will try the Toni & Guy stuff - cheers

seriously,doctors are either full of sh*t or ignorant(ok,not all of them) but when it comes to hairloss,most are............

try finasteride ,see if you get any side effects,only 2% do...............ive been on it 22 months ,only side effect ive seen is an increased libido....

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My doctor had to look it up too and said that if something's not on the NHS list of prescribed medicines then it's for a good reason.

I was getting my finasteride from the Belgravia Clinic in London. Then I got it online (using this site's recommended link). Now I'm getting it from Boot's (private prescription £30 a month) using their hair retention programme which they started last year.

I get the minoxidil foam from a supplier in the UK. It's about £40 for 4 month's supply.

And I was getting the Nizoral 2% from Boots (but their own brand is cheaper so now I buy that).

MSFB

Established Member
Reaction score
what is the boots own nizoral?

i can only find 'nizorelle' 1% in my boots.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
MSFB said:
what is the boots own nizoral?

i can only find 'nizorelle' 1% in my boots.

No. It's called 'Boots Anti-Dandruff shampoo' and in brackets it says Ketoconazole 20mg/g. It should be on the same shelf next to the Nizoral.

Nizorelle, as you say, is the 1% solution.

Pondle

Reaction score
1. I approached two local GPs, one was helpful and the other was a total a**hole. Restrictions on advertising medicines in the UK and EU mean that consumer and professional knowledge of a lifestyle drug not available on the NHS is low. In the US, NZ and possibly other places Propecia and other prescription drugs are actually advertised on TV, so awareness is high.

2. A doctor in Derbyshire. I advertise his contact details almost every second post I make. Search the forum for posts by me containing text 'Ashcroft'. Works out at £8 a month. Bargain.

3. I dislike minoxidil. It's a pain to apply twice a day. It has a low response rate (about 66%). The regrowth you get from it, assuming you get any, is usually fine vellus hair.

4. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shaping cream. It gives a dry, matte finish and good hold without the 'product' look. I also like Kevin Murphy Sticky Business, which is a similar product.