Questions and worries about Minoxidil: Read and answer

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Questions and worries about minoxidil: Please answer every question in as much detail as you possibly can. Refrain from using yes or no answers. Thank you

I worry about overall body hair increase.

1. Have any of you had this, and if so, please describe. When you stopped using minoxidil, did the body hair increase you gained, diminish? or is it permanent?

I worry about this initial shed that happens when starting minoxidil.

2. Has this happened to you, and if so, please describe it. (how much was lost, was it worth it, did it ever grow back).

I worry about inflamation or irritation of the scalp, which would force me to stop using it, therefore preventing me from re growing the hair I shed from the minoxidil.

3. How many of you never had any irritation?

4. How many had irritation, when did you get it, how long did you have it, how often do you have it, and what do you do to get rid of it?

5. What about those weird side effects that were reported? What side effects did you have, and please describe them in detail. if you never had any side effects, please say so.

Long term usage:

6. How many years etc?

7. Did minoxidil ever stop working for you?

8. When you stopped taking it, why did you, and what happened?

9. Do you believe this stuff to be effective?

10. Can it be a miracle balding cure, or is it not worth the hassle and commitment?

11. How much are you on?

12. How much have you been on in the past?

13. How many times do you apply it a day?

Please recommend brands and their prices.

14. Do you find it easy to remember, or do you slack off and forget to use it?

15. How long did you stop using it for, and how long did it take for your hair to fall out?

Any little habits, or rituals, or customized personal approaches to minoxidil usage would be helpful as well.

G

Lets cut to the chase.

Minoxidl is the only proven growth stimulant that I know of. I simply do not see any alternative to using it and have for over 15 yrs.

The rest of the stuff is, in my view irrlevant.

Use it or lose it!!!!!!\
:hairy:

Cassin

Reaction score
Your worrying to much.

I shed, it seems to have come back. It regrows hair for sure.

I have irritation, I am still working on it.

More than likely yer gonna be fine.

IMHO I find legit Rogaine better than generic. If my goal was to just maintain I would probaly use Generic.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Lets cut to the chase.

Minoxidl is the only proven growth stimulant that I know of. I simply do not see any alternative to using it and have for over 15 yrs.

Use it or lose it!!!!!!\

Can you answer the questions though? I was expecting you to answer them when i made the thread. Thanks Bruce :lol:

The Gardener

Reaction score
I worry about overall body hair increase.

1. Have any of you had this, and if so, please describe.

Yes. My beard grows faster, and my sideburns are a bit more coarse.

I worry about this initial shed that happens when starting minoxidil.

2. Has this happened to you, and if so, please describe it. (how much was lost, was it worth it, did it ever grow back).

Yes. I got a mild shed at week 2, and a more substantial shed at week 5 or 6 or so. Seeing the hairs on the shower floor was unsettling, but this shed had no cosmetic impact on my hair thickness nor hairline. And yes, the shedding stopped and I am now seeing success. Keep in mind that sheds occasionally happen whether you are on minoxidil or not, so just because you see a few hairs fall out you should not get crazy about it.

I worry about inflamation or irritation of the scalp, which would force me to stop using it, therefore preventing me from re growing the hair I shed from the minoxidil.

3. How many of you never had any irritation?

Actually, I had no irritation whatsoever. When I first started, it seemed the minoxidil would pack a mild sting after it sat on my head for about 10 minutes or so, but it went away with time. I did get two bouts of flaking when I first started, but it went away. Nizoral shampoo has helped me in this regard. Even though I suffer no irritation and no real flaking, I do come across the occasional stray chunk of scalp skin in my hair. It is NOT dandruff, just an occasional big flake that I brush away with my hand. It comes with the territory.

4. How many had irritation, when did you get it, how long did you have it, how often do you have it, and what do you do to get rid of it?

Asked and answered in number 3.

5. What about those weird side effects that were reported? What side effects did you have, and please describe them in detail. if you never had any side effects, please say so.

No side effects.

Long term usage:

6. How many years etc?

4 months

7. Did minoxidil ever stop working for you?

Not yet, but way too early to tell.

8. When you stopped taking it, why did you, and what happened?

I never SAID that I stopped taking it, so why do you ask me this question?

9. Do you believe this stuff to be effective?

Yes.

10. Can it be a miracle balding cure, or is it not worth the hassle and commitment?

It's not a miracle, it is medicine. Some people respond well. By mastering how to handle the dropper, and by being deliberate in my application it does not take me much time to apply a dosage that does not get my hair very greasy.

11. How much are you on?

Is that a smart *** way of telling me that you don't believe me? Erm, or if you are referring to minoxidil, I use 1ml in the am, 1 ml in the pm.

12. How much have you been on in the past?

No comment.

13. How many times do you apply it a day?

Asked and answered.

Please recommend brands and their prices.

No, that's a personal preference. But I do suggest starting with Rogaine, which is kind of viewed as a baseline. Then you can experiment with other forumlations that are well discussed and documented on this forum.

14. Do you find it easy to remember, or do you slack off and forget to use it?

Once I got the hang of how to apply the am dosage without getting my hair greasy, I have been religiously applying twice a day.

15. How long did you stop using it for, and how long did it take for your hair to fall out?

I did not stop using it.

Any little habits, or rituals, or customized personal approaches to minoxidil usage would be helpful as well.

That's an easy one. Having your girlfriend service you while you do it has got to be about the best habit/ritual/personal approach I could suggest to you.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
:lol: great. thanks for answering!

another question though Gardener: Has it had an affect on any of your other body hair?

It might be hard to notice depending on your age and how much body hair you had prior to starting minoxidil, but try to answer. I have body hair, and it's pretty light. And I don't want it to get all thick from minoxidil.

The Gardener

Reaction score
weeell, in addition to my beard growing more quickly which was very obviously caused by minoxidil, I am getting the slight suspicion that my neck hair is growing a bit faster too... you know, those patches of hair at the very back of your head, on the neck, that the stylist normally trims off. I actually trimmed mine between haircuts the past two months because it seemed to be growing faster than normal. Then again, for the past two months I have been sporting a shorter hairstyle so it might just be that I noticed it more quickly? I can't tie it to minoxidil with the timing of it, but, I did notice it the last two months so I thought I should get it on the table just for thouroughness.

G

Healthy Nick said:
BruceLee said:
Lets cut to the chase.

Use it or lose it!!!!!!\

Can you answer the questions though? I was expecting you to answer them when i made the thread. Thanks Bruce :lol:

Short answer is that I have been using minoxidil for over 15 yrs, twice a day, every day.

No shedding that I know of.

Some dandruff but then I have always had some dandruff.

Increased beard and chest hair. Propecia took care of the body hair big time.

It works as one component of a treatment plan and to my knowledge, there is no other growth stimulant that works as well, if at all.

Together with propecia and nizoral, certainly the best treatment plan I ever used.

Hope that helps.

The Gardener

Reaction score
IamtheWalrus_and29_male said:
The minoxidil bottle (kirkland) i use says "may cause hair color change", anyone ever experience this? That worried me a bit at first.

No, no permanent change to the pigment color on my hair in my case... but if I get it in my hair, it sometimes leaves a greyish residue after it dries.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
HealthyNick, you worry too much, man up and use it for christ's sake....

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
then go to the resource center and/or information library on this site....or read throught the faqs or search the forum archives, dont post a 15 point questionnaire....and get pissy when noone wants to answer all the repetitive questions.....

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
239 posts later and still no regimin, you are never going to use anything for hairloss unless its completely free of sideeffects....

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
jblig said:
then go to the resource center and/or information library on this site....or read throught the faqs or search the forum archives, dont post a 15 point questionnaire....and get pissy when noone wants to answer all the repetitive questions.....

Get the f*** out of my thread jerkoff. I've already read everything and I want more information. :evil:

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
your thread???? I will dance around this thread until HairLossTalk.com boots me, but why would he Im not doing anything wrong....use your mouse and click around the site for a bit, you would be amazed at what you could find....nahh your too lazy to give it a couple of clicks so you'll post a questionnaire filled with questions that have been answered hundreds of times and information widely available on every minoxidil site on the web....

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
jblig said:
239 posts later and still no regimin, you are never going to use anything for hairloss unless its completely free of sideeffects....

I've been on finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral. :roll:

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
you have been using minoxidil and now all of a sudden you decide to question its sides....even though you are not experiencing any of them..very interesting, solid move to start a product you know nothing about.......thats why this informative site exists so people like you can just haphazrdly use a product and then find out later on after using it what exactly it does...decision making at its best...inspiring steps to great rationale ........

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
:roll: you are an idiot. you know nothing about me or my situation. stop trying to make it personal. You're obviously bored, and I'm not going to be your entertainment.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
not bored at all,its not for entertainment purposes moreso for simple thinking and reasoning, trust me this is not entertaining in the least.....