Questions About Using A Dermapen + One Question About Online Dermatologists. Thanks In Advance.

Dave Realman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, how are you? I began micro-needling three weeks ago (using the Dr. Pen M5 with 1.5mm needles), exclusively around my hairline as the rest of my hair is very thick. I do this every Friday after a shower and it usually takes me about 10-15 minutes. I have some questions.

Are 1.5mm needles really appropriate? I've been tapping the pen along my hairline relatively lightly (going over the same area perhaps too many times) and I seem unable to avoid some kind of bleeding (pin-point, not Carrie). To my understanding, participants in studies on micro-needling who saw positive results only experienced mild erythema. Should I perhaps go down to 1mm? Or should I try not going over the same area so many times and just waiting a moment to see if the skin goes red and then moving on to another area?

Finally (and slightly tangentially), does anyone have any experience with seeking the advice of online dermatologists? Unfortunately, I don't have any dermatologists anywhere near me, but I would like to consult with one.

(Additional info, in case it's useful: 1. I've been on Finasteride for nearly 4 months now. 2. I have experienced somewhat of an increased shed as of late, but I've no idea what to attribute this to. Maybe it's natural, maybe it's related to microneedling, maybe it's Maybelline.)

Again, thank you in advance. :)