Questions About Finasteride, Do Some People Have Insights?

Elias18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but read a lot of stories on it. English is not my native language so excuse for my crappy grammar and sentences. Around 7 months ago I went for a haircut and my hairdresser found a bald spot on the vertex. One month later I started finasteride 1 mg. In the next months I went to a terrible shed, before finasteride I had a full head of hair with only a bald spot of the size of a coin (on the right side). The first weeks of finasteride I had terrible dandruff and an incredible itch. I also had eczema on my whole body I didn't never had before. A few months later I was losing ground fast, the spot on the vertex became bigger and bigger. In the 4th month I was thinning in the front and you could see my scalp very easily. I was also losing hairs at the back of my head, a place where you usually don't lose your hair. The last month I have seen some regrowth, thick brown/black hairs that filled in the orginal bald spot. I consulted my doctor multiple times because I thought it was Alopecia Areata. My doctor said to give it some time. My shedding stopped, today I'm at the 6 month of finasteride. Maybe the finasteride was too much for my body so my hormones were messed up and I got Telogen Efflivium. At this moment the new hairs look promising but the front and left side of the vertex are still very thin.

My questions:

- is it possible too shed so much hair if you start finasteride?
- people say about 80% of the people maintain their hair when starting finasteride, is the first time you take finasteride baseline?
- do the shed hairs come back from starting the treatment?

Like to hear from you, thanks in advance!

P.s. I hope this is the correct thread to post my questions.

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no one will tell you that finasteride has the possibility to worsen your hairloss, but it can. My hair everywhere, back and sides, has been permanently destroyed by the drug. I have read many accounts of people going through massive sheds and it all growing back but also many accounts of massive sheds that never grows back. It truly is ridiculous that people are not screened for finasteride use when they should be. I'm really surprised that dermatologists don't first consider the fact that everyone that's losing hair is not necessarily a candidate for taking finasteride. Since you have some encouraging signs of regrowth you should stick it out for six more months and evaluate your situation then. It's the only hope you have at this point. FWIW I recently tried to come off finasteride by lowering the dose from .5 mg to .25 mg and it was a disaster. I was on .25 mg for ten days and my hair thinned out a years worth or more in mere days, so don't listen to anyone that tells you that finasteride can't worsen your hairloss.

Elias18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Samson! I will continue the use of finasteride. The new hairs looks hopefull, fingers crossed. Did you stopped finasteride completely?

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still on .5 mg. The speed at which my hair thinned was too much for me. In some people finasteride can make hair follicles super sensitive to androgens through the process of AR upregulation and in those people quitting the drug, or in my case lowering the dosage, results in hairloss way faster than the pre finasteride rate of hairloss. It's a scary thing for a bald spot to appear basically overnight. This is not normal and finasteride has permanently changed my hair follicles.