Questions About Bond Length, Cleaning, And Maintaining Hair

Dominious

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. I took the plunge and purchased my first system about two months ago. The stylist I went to destroyed it essentially and told me no refund so lets just ignore that. Bought my second from the same place as my first (HairbyMHE, the youtuber), and I was somewhat disappointed. I drove three hours to have a better stylist attach this unit and I noticed it immediately had a bald spot in the middle of the hairline, as shown in the photo, as did the first unit. Forgive me if any are these are tired questions, I actually have done quite a lot of research on the topic but nobody is perfect.

After having the unit in for two weeks, I have some questions:
(For reference, I have a Swiss Lace unit)

1. How do I keep the hair from falling out??? I noticed that I can already feel a bald spot towards the back. I only wash it with shampoo and conditioner every three days. I water rinse it every day, as I go to the gym 6 times a week and get very sweaty. I have been using Axe hair gel in it, admittedly, though not really in the back.

2. How do guys on youtube do such thin fades on the side? My unit has mesh sticking out on the sides so if I didn't have longer hair on the sides, it would be very evident.

3. Which are the best bonds? My bond only lasts 2-3 days before I have to redo the hairline. This was from the last two weeks when I didn't even get to exercise at all or do any physical activity, as I was on a road trip in a very cold place (I didn't wear anything over my head). I was using Ghostbond Platinum and then some Walker's extra hold made for people who play sports.

4. Anyone know of a cheaper place to get these units from? I saw DHgates but I couldn't find light brown/dark blonde hair there, only dark colors.

5. Am I just always going to have this see-the-mesh through the hairline issue with swiss lace? Should I go for french/poly lace?

6. My hair stylist recommended using baby oil to clean the unit. Any comments on that?

7. IT. IS. SO. ITCHY

Dominious

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, apparently I can't post a photo because I am a new member. Sorry about that.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome, I will try to answer your questions based on my experience.

1. You don't need to wash the unit more than once a week. Swiss lace is more delicate than French, so you need to be easier on it.

2. If your unit has mesh sticking out on the sides, it was not properly trimmed. Tight/high fades are difficult, low fades are easier, since the longer hair on the fade is still yours, and the unit is left longer.

3. There is no "best bond", it what works for you. With lace, in general, the perimeter is tape, and the hairline is glue (if it's exposed). It's not unusual for a hairline to only last 2-3 days. But it should take only a few minutes to clean off the old glue with alcohol, and re-apply a layer or two of glue.

4. Cheaper than what? Cheap, always, less expensive and high quality, probably not. MHE has some of the lowest prices, and I hear he has good quality systems (I have been led to believe).

5. French lace will hold up longer, and IMHO is just as undetectable as Swiss (my experience). If you are having serious shedding issues, contact Curtis, this should NOT be leaving you bald spots unless you are super-aggressive in cleaning the base.

6. I believe you need to find a new stylist!

7. Scalp protector helps a lot. Walkers Thick or Max Hold Sport (good if you work out a lot).

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. I took the plunge and purchased my first system about two months ago. The stylist I went to destroyed it essentially and told me no refund so lets just ignore that. Bought my second from the same place as my first (HairbyMHE, the youtuber), and I was somewhat disappointed. I drove three hours to have a better stylist attach this unit and I noticed it immediately had a bald spot in the middle of the hairline, as shown in the photo, as did the first unit. Forgive me if any are these are tired questions, I actually have done quite a lot of research on the topic but nobody is perfect.

After having the unit in for two weeks, I have some questions:
(For reference, I have a Swiss Lace unit)

1. How do I keep the hair from falling out??? I noticed that I can already feel a bald spot towards the back. I only wash it with shampoo and conditioner every three days. I water rinse it every day, as I go to the gym 6 times a week and get very sweaty. I have been using Axe hair gel in it, admittedly, though not really in the back.

2. How do guys on youtube do such thin fades on the side? My unit has mesh sticking out on the sides so if I didn't have longer hair on the sides, it would be very evident.

3. Which are the best bonds? My bond only lasts 2-3 days before I have to redo the hairline. This was from the last two weeks when I didn't even get to exercise at all or do any physical activity, as I was on a road trip in a very cold place (I didn't wear anything over my head). I was using Ghostbond Platinum and then some Walker's extra hold made for people who play sports.

4. Anyone know of a cheaper place to get these units from? I saw DHgates but I couldn't find light brown/dark blonde hair there, only dark colors.

5. Am I just always going to have this see-the-mesh through the hairline issue with swiss lace? Should I go for french/poly lace?

6. My hair stylist recommended using baby oil to clean the unit. Any comments on that?

7. IT. IS. SO. ITCHY

1. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week too and have excessive sweating on a elliptical and treadmill so when I start wearing a hair system, I shampoo every other days and water rinse it almost daily. Few weeks later I noticed my front hairline is thinning out , I wasn't sure if cause by too much shampooing or pulling the tape from the base not using enough release solvent?? Now I only shampoo every 7-10 days (when I de-attach for full clear up) and water rinse only once or twice a week. I think that could extend the lifespan of my hair system.

2. I was going to buy from either Hairdirect.com ,HairbyMHE or other retailers when I first learning about hair system few months ago (I've only been wearing hair system for two months). Later I decided to buy directly from the manufacturer in China because they provide a hair cut service for only extra $20 USD. That way I can totally skip going to the private salon for the haircut service. I picked the thin fade hairstyle (Stock system bald fade style /photos below) and it fit me perfect. I cut my own bio hair using clipper #2 and #3 to shave both sides and back as you can see from the 2nd photo below.

3. I have tested out Ghost Bond classic , Walker Ultro hold and Got2b Ultra Glued for the front hairline. I like GB Classic and Walker Ultro Hold a lot because they are water resistant. The hair system still holding very strong when I walk out from the shower after shampoo. I feel totally comfortable doing water ski or skydiving with these two adhesives. The Got2B Ultra Glued is good too (only cost $4 USD) and very lower maintenance plus super easy to apply and remove. However, it only hold good if I don't sweat. It lift off from my forehead hairline after 30 mins of cardio exercise (I sweat like a waterfall). I think Got2B is hard to keep the lace down if you sweat a lot. Fortunately, the re-attachment only take about few minutes.

For the sides and back, I've tried Walker Lace Front Blue Tape and Walker 1522 tape. They both are strong hold. 1522 is more easy to remove and clear up. You can click below link to see my review on the 1522 tape.
BTW, I have a oily scalp.

4.Buy directly from the manufacturer can cut out the middlemen or retailers extra cost.

5.My first system was a full French lace, 2nd system with thin skin on the sides / back and french lace in the front. The photo below is my new system which is V-looped 0.06mm Super Thin Skin. I have almost fully exposed hairline and they are all undetectable.

6. Not sure if baby oil good or bad??

7. I use Walker Dab-on Scalp Protector and no itchy ,scalp irritation or rashes... Highly recommend.

This is my recently post:
My first DIY hair system experience
Quit using blow dryer for my hair system
Walker tape 1522 review/ Cleanup so much easier

https://i.imgur.com/DSNA7rj.jpg
DSNA7rj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MSMTzqe.jpg
MSMTzqe.jpg

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HN, your hair looks AMAZING. And you cut your bio hair yourself, man that's an achievement, you are pretty much self sufficient and that is a great stage to get to.

What density is your new system?

I'm surprised you can expose the hairline on a 0.06mm base, because I couldn't on my 0.03mm base... but then again it seems like you are brushing the hair (at the front) forward/up/back so it kind of hides the hairline. This is also what I started to do.

Great job!

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HN, your hair looks AMAZING. And you cut your bio hair yourself, man that's an achievement, you are pretty much self sufficient and that is a great stage to get to.

What density is your new system?

I'm surprised you can expose the hairline on a 0.06mm base, because I couldn't on my 0.03mm base... but then again it seems like you are brushing the hair (at the front) forward/up/back so it kind of hides the hairline. This is also what I started to do.

Great job!

Thanks Deg_dilemma! I was going to orders 0.03mm thin skin base but they said only have one month lifespan so I bought the 0.06mm instead. How long do you have the 0.03mm? I also concern about the thin skin breathable ability. So far I'm wearing the thin skin for almost a week and I can't tell much difference compare with French Lace base maybe the weather is cold here? Anyway, the 0.06mm thin skin stock system come with a medium light density. I've been cutting my own hair for almost 15 years using clipper. There are a lot of YouTube videos teach how to do it yourself. I just woke up (7:30am here) and took few photos of my hairline after sprayed some water and comb my hair to the back.

GwBCi54.jpg

Dominious

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man! Thanks for replying!

I've not even cleaned this unit once, I'm still in my first wear and I have bald spots in the back and slightly in the front. I could contact Curtis, but I'd feel bad bothering him tbh, and I don't really feel like it's quite his fault? Thanks for clearing up a lot of things! See, I had French & Swiss backwards, thinking Swiss was the more durable. Have you tried ones with a poly hairline? I've been considering making my next one a hybrid such as that for a better hairline.

Also, a no on the baby oil? He seemed quite knowledgeable

Dominious

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week too and have excessive sweating on a elliptical and treadmill so when I start wearing a hair system, I shampoo every other days and water rinse it almost daily. Few weeks later I noticed my front hairline is thinning out , I wasn't sure if cause by too much shampooing or pulling the tape from the base not using enough release solvent?? Now I only shampoo every 7-10 days (when I de-attach for full clear up) and water rinse only once or twice a week. I think that could extend the lifespan of my hair system.

2. I was going to buy from either Hairdirect.com ,HairbyMHE or other retailers when I first learning about hair system few months ago (I've only been wearing hair system for two months). Later I decided to buy directly from the manufacturer in China because they provide a hair cut service for only extra $20 USD. That way I can totally skip going to the private salon for the haircut service. I picked the thin fade hairstyle (Stock system bald fade style /photos below) and it fit me perfect. I cut my own bio hair using clipper #2 and #3 to shave both sides and back as you can see from the 2nd photo below.

3. I have tested out Ghost Bond classic , Walker Ultro hold and Got2b Ultra Glued for the front hairline. I like GB Classic and Walker Ultro Hold a lot because they are water resistant. The hair system still holding very strong when I walk out from the shower after shampoo. I feel totally comfortable doing water ski or skydiving with these two adhesives. The Got2B Ultra Glued is good too (only cost $4 USD) and very lower maintenance plus super easy to apply and remove. However, it only hold good if I don't sweat. It lift off from my forehead hairline after 30 mins of cardio exercise (I sweat like a waterfall). I think Got2B is hard to keep the lace down if you sweat a lot. Fortunately, the re-attachment only take about few minutes.

For the sides and back, I've tried Walker Lace Front Blue Tape and Walker 1522 tape. They both are strong hold. 1522 is more easy to remove and clear up. You can click below link to see my review on the 1522 tape.
BTW, I have a oily scalp.

4.Buy directly from the manufacturer can cut out the middlemen or retailers extra cost.

5.My first system was a full French lace, 2nd system with thin skin on the sides / back and french lace in the front. The photo below is my new system which is V-looped 0.06mm Super Thin Skin. I have almost fully exposed hairline and they are all undetectable.

6. Not sure if baby oil good or bad??

7. I use Walker Dab-on Scalp Protector and no itchy ,scalp irritation or rashes... Highly recommend.

This is my recently post:
My first DIY hair system experience

Quit using blow dryer for my hair system

Walker tape 1522 review/ Cleanup so much easier

Stock system bald cut bald fade style
https://i.imgur.com/AIiGQSe.png
View attachment 108892

https://i.imgur.com/DSNA7rj.jpg
View attachment 108893
https://i.imgur.com/MSMTzqe.jpg
View attachment 108894

Excellent information friend, I appreciate you sharing all of that. Yea I actually have that Walker scalp protector now and I'll be using it on my next application. I'm gonna be going on a date with a girl who is a hair dresser soon and I'm sweating bullets because I'm excited to see if she notices on her own, haha. For me the majority of the itchyness I think comes from the unit's moving around, as it mostly occurs a week or so into wearing the unit.

Man just the wealth of information you dropped on me... I really value that a lot. Thank you. Where are you buying your units from precisely? I'd like to get in on the same hair cutting...the good stylists in my area seem to be hard to find.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Excellent information friend, I appreciate you sharing all of that. Yea I actually have that Walker scalp protector now and I'll be using it on my next application. I'm gonna be going on a date with a girl who is a hair dresser soon and I'm sweating bullets because I'm excited to see if she notices on her own, haha. For me the majority of the itchyness I think comes from the unit's moving around, as it mostly occurs a week or so into wearing the unit.

Man just the wealth of information you dropped on me... I really value that a lot. Thank you. Where are you buying your units from precisely? I'd like to get in on the same hair cutting...the good stylists in my area seem to be hard to find.

I heard lace can itch like mad. A thin-skin doesn't itch anywhere near as much because usually it is fully bonded to the scalp, all over.

For lace, are you only using tape/glue around the perimeter? Maybe then also try a strip down the middle, which should hopefully reduce movement and itching.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard lace can itch like mad. A thin-skin doesn't itch anywhere near as much because usually it is fully bonded to the scalp, all over.

For lace, are you only using tape/glue around the perimeter? Maybe then also try a strip down the middle, which should hopefully reduce movement and itching.

Scalp protector is VERY important, it puts a layer of... stuff between your scalp and the lace (and helps the tapes stick better).

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Deg_dilemma! I was going to orders 0.03mm thin skin base but they said only have one month lifespan so I bought the 0.06mm instead. How long do you have the 0.03mm? I also concern about the thin skin breathable ability. So far I'm wearing the thin skin for almost a week and I can't tell much difference compare with French Lace base maybe the weather is cold here? Anyway, the 0.06mm thin skin stock system come with a medium light density. I've been cutting my own hair for almost 15 years using clipper. There are a lot of YouTube videos teach how to do it yourself. I just woke up (7:30am here) and took few photos of my hairline after sprayed some water and comb my hair to the back.

View attachment 108938

HN, my thin skin is from Total Cover Plus. Yes, one of the salon places every loves to hate! But it was my first salon and even though I hated the system for the first couple of months, I now really appreciate it. I have been told it is 0.03mm but I don't know how to prove/check this. So far the system has lasted me 6 months - but it does need changing very soon now.

I already have a nice Swiss lace system ready to cut-in but am having problems trying to find a stylist nearby to me who would be willing to do this. That is a huge issue for me. It just seems that salons are better because at least you know you can walk in and get the job done...hence why I have a new appreciation for Total Cover Plus now.

The lace system I ordered online myself is actually better than the TCP system, but what's the point if I have to stress about finding a stylist.

Wish I had your skills! You've done a great job. Out of interest, have you ever tried a 'messy / bedhead' hairstyle? That is the style I go for and sometimes it can look more natural because it's less 'perfect'.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wish I had your skills! You've done a great job. Out of interest, have you ever tried a 'messy / bedhead' hairstyle? That is the style I go for and sometimes it can look more natural because it's less 'perfect'.

I can only cut my bio hair with clipper. It so difficult to find a reliable hairdresser that can do a hair system in my area therefor having the hair system supplier cut the style I want it workout perfect in my situation. I have a messy bedhead hairstyle during the camping trip. Basically, I just using fingers to style after spray some water on the hair in the morning. I like messy bedhead style too

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How expensive was your piece? Cause that that much hair is falling out after weeks sounds like very bad quality