question. Please answer me.

Reaction score
I was on minoxidil 5% nightly only on my hairline & temples, and now I am down using to once every other night. The problem is that it gets very itchy, and very very flaky. I am planning to drop minoxidil.

My question is this:
Does finasteride + nizoral (2%) only without minoxidil will cause flakes? Now I am not too sure if I get heavy flakes due to minoxidil or finasteride. Does anybody get heavy flakes just using finasteride only?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No. finasteride does not have an effect on scalp health, except perhaps very subtly by decreasing male pattern baldness irritation.

Reaction score
flux said:
No. finasteride does not have an effect on scalp health, except perhaps very subtly by decreasing male pattern baldness irritation.
Thank you for your answer. I guess nizoral is only to supplement finasteride then. Does finasteride cause acne on face? I had this big break out about 3 weeks ago, and with some clear-sel medication, it has subsided, but it left me with pink spots on my face. (though it's going away) Anybody has the same problem?

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is very common to break out after starting finasteride. This is due to a 'back up' of testosterone as it isnt being converted to DHT (you may have also noticed an increased libido). It sounds like your body has already adjusted its test production. You shouldnt see any more breakouts.