Question on the legitimacy of Indian generics -pics included

hurryhairy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new account but frequent reader here and I've heard many people express satisfaction with a number of generics, most of them manufactured in India. I've been taking Propecia for a little over a year now (prescribed) and decided I would give the generic 'finpecia' a try -- mostly to save money. I used a site whose initials are ADC (don't want to violate any rules) and received my drugs in a nondescript cardboard box postmarked from India as coming from someone named simply "Derick". While I was at it, I purchased a generic version of 2% Nizoral shampoo. Here's what I got:

FINASTERIDE:

2lto85d.jpg

t890ko.jpg

The website advertised the product as "Finpecia" 1mg finasteride manufactured by Cipla. What I received was "Fina-1" 1mg finasteride manufactured by Cooper Pharma.

KETACONAZOLE:

The Nizoral shampoo was also different from that shown on the site. The picture on the site showed a name brand version of Nizoral, but wrote the name as Nizaral. What I got was this:

2vu10t4.jpg

The name here is Nizral. I couldn't find very much on Google about it. It does say it's manufactured by Johnson & Johnson via Janssen-Cilag on both the website and the box, but I've not been able to find that brand name anywhere. On the J&J India website, you can barely make out a box and bottle that look very similar to what I received, although I'm not able to read the product name: http://www.jnjindia.com/janssen_index.asp

Has anyone had any experience with these generics or has any idea if they're legit/safe or not? I'm a little worried about using them now.

Thanks

Edit: I did a little more browsing around the Johnson & Johnson India/Janssen-Cilag India website and found the first real reference to "Nizral" in a PDF document under "Dermatology": https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... .pdf&pli=1

hurryhairy

Reaction score
No takers? Can anyone at least tell me what color their Nizoral shampoo's liquid is, or if they've seen similarly packaged Finasteride in the past?

knowingyou

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral 2% shampoo is red color, I do not use finasteride, so can not say anything about it, sorry.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The finasteride and nizoral I get from inhouse does not look like that. The finasteride is blue and the nizoral is red. I think you will be able to tell if the nizoral is the real stuff, just use it for 5 days straight and see if your scalp is peeling and red. :)

You could also compare the taste of 2% to 1% , I would say from the
times I've gotten it in my mouth when showering the taste is the same.
Nothing conclusive and I often wonder if I'm always getting good finasteride.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
casperz said:
The finasteride and nizoral I get from inhouse does not look like that.

Mine neither. This is what the Cipla ones normally look like

finpecia.jpg

I too get mine from inhouse pharmacy.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
My generic finasteride is blue, it has a blue film over a white tablet. Your one probably just doesn't have the blue film.
It's also made by an Indian company called Aurobindo Pharma, but manufactured in the UK. I'm pretty sure it's genuine as it did give me side effects (low libido, impotence) after 10 days usage, all of which have now gone.

Nizoral should be a red colour.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
My finasteride was white with the blue cover\film from inhouse (that other people mentioned) ...fincar.

It was 100% legit, I got ball ache from it and such. Hoping to see results soon (been on for 4 weeks).

Timmysee

Reaction score
Maybe they just sent you ball ache pills, GrayMan :)

Seriously though, I've never seen finasteride like that and my nizoral certainly does not look like that. Could you get us a picture of the actual substance? You should really have researched BEFORE you bought.

Broken

Reaction score
I'd worry if they were Chinese, you'd probably die due to lead poisoning in that case. But Indian drugs are as safe as it gets. Just check the date of expiry and be confident that you're getting 100% safe and original drugs.