Question On Hairline Transplant And Single Grafts

Pablo234

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Question regarding hairline surgery - so from what I’ve read, you gain the best results when suregeons use single grafts on the hairline , and avoid the pluggy look.

Say for instance you’re a Norwood 2-3 and are quoted 1500-2000 grafts for the surgery, what happens in the event of through those 2000 grafts taken from the donor, you don’t yield a sufficient number of singles for the full hairline ?

Is this a consideration to be made?

Thanks

mattj

Established Member
Reaction score
The surgeon has the ability to choose which follicular units they extract, so they can select the singles that they need. I would say that it is essentially unheard of for a patent not to have the single hair units that they need, so this isn't really a consideration.

Kimb Slice

My Regimen
Reaction score
Truth be told, and I'm being very honest here and I also speak from experience of a hair transplant I got back in 2015. Prior to getting my hair transplant, I always used to wonder why guys who've had a tranplant always looked a bit weird. The looked coarse or even wirey. Check the before and after slider on this page to see what I mean. I got the answer just prior to my procedure. The surgeon explained that the donor hair, which is usually from the back and sides is much thicker than the natural hair on top of the head. So do the math. If that hair is going to be used on the hairline, it will inevitably look pluggy or pluggier than a natural hairline. Although my hair wasnt all that gone before my operation, I did have my hairline dropped slightly. It looks ok when the hair is styled, but the moment I pull my hair back, you can tell from a million miles away that its not natural. An im pretty happy with my results because I know that's as good as it gets. Bottom line, you will never achieve a 100% natural looking hairline no matter who performs that surgery period.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Truth be told, and I'm being very honest here and I also speak from experience of a hair transplant I got back in 2015. Prior to getting my hair transplant, I always used to wonder why guys who've had a tranplant always looked a bit weird. The looked coarse or even wirey. Check the before and after slider on this page to see what I mean. I got the answer just prior to my procedure. The surgeon explained that the donor hair, which is usually from the back and sides is much thicker than the natural hair on top of the head. So do the math. If that hair is going to be used on the hairline, it will inevitably look pluggy or pluggier than a natural hairline. Although my hair wasnt all that gone before my operation, I did have my hairline dropped slightly. It looks ok when the hair is styled, but the moment I pull my hair back, you can tell from a million miles away that its not natural. An im pretty happy with my results because I know that's as good as it gets. Bottom line, you will never achieve a 100% natural looking hairline no matter who performs that surgery period.

Photos? Surgeon? The sentiment is accurate, although to different extents for different people. For the vast majority of patients a result that appears natural to someone off the street should be achievable. For some this is easier than others, but many seem to have the expectation that as long as there are singles are the front, it will automatically look natural. Not necessarily the case.

shookwun

Reaction score
the hairline requires two transplants to achieve a desired result. And no I don't care about these cherry picked results that surgeons post on there site.

would be your best bet!

Pablo234

Reaction score
The surgeon has the ability to choose which follicular units they extract, so they can select the singles that they need. I would say that it is essentially unheard of for a patent not to have the single hair units that they need, so this isn't really a consideration.

Hey - wow I didnt realise this, so do you mean that during the harvesting of grafts from the donor area during FUE - the surgeons/technicians have the ability to see which grafts are singles/doubles/triples etc. before the hair has been pulled from the punch?

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses, the vast knowledge on here really helps with personal research, before even considering going for consultations. Much appreciated.