Question for Armani patients...

soccerguy11

Reaction score
Many people on these forums claim Armani does hairlines that are too dense or aggresive.

Are there any Armani patients who (maybe several years ago) got surgery and now realize that their hairline was too low or not conservative enough and now have run out of donor area?

If none of these people exist, it means one of two things:

1) Armani hasn't been doing surgery long enough for people to lose enough hair down the road to realize the "future-devistation" he's caused them by using alot of donor hair
2) These people do not exist, and, although Armani hairlines maybe low, dense or operated on young patients, he still does quality work and it all works out.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
I think your option 1 is correct. In some aggressive hairline density patients, I feel it is only a matter of time before it looks unnatural unless of course they have incredible amounts of donor hair.

My personal donor density was slightly below average at only 4-6 thousand grafts, so I don't think I could ever do an aggressive hairline unless HM/BHT pans out. It all really depends on your donor denisties and hair characteristics. If they are very good you may be able to afford an aggressive transplant.

trapsource

Reaction score
Dr. Armani will give you the look YOU want. If you want an agressive hairline, you should have done the research to know that it might not work out down the road. The first hairline I got from another doctor was way too high. Am I supposed to wait until Im fifty for me to be happy? Dr Armani will not try to sell you low and agressive hairlines, but patients must do their due dilligence to research their options, their donar supply, and other factors. You dont save up to buy a porche and then realize you cant drive it because the insurance is too high. Thats plain irresponsible, just like an agressive hairline without enoough donar hair.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
But you can always sell your porsche and buy a toyota. You can't sell your head and buy a new one. Patients have the right to be ignorant but the doctor must work in the patients BEST interest and educate him or refuse to follow his wishes if he thinks they are not realistic.

trapsource

Reaction score
I agree, but with any medical issues ( especially cosmetic surgery) you have to be EXTRA cautious. Like you said, you cant get a new head. Just by doing minimal research an average person would know about donar hair, future loss, hairlines too low, etc. The thing is the debate is about the younger males who make the bad choice about hairlines, but you can say young people make those mistakes about tattoos, school, drugs, marriage, tons of stuff. The medical field is a business just like anything else, and is is sad that doctors will take advantage of unknowing patients. I just dont think Dr Alvi is one of them.

G

I think the issue with Dr. Armani is not technical but philosophical.

He believes in catering to his patients, many other hair transplant surgeons do not.

I think the underlying issue is that it seems the Armani clinic is able to harvest a few thousand more grafts in a persons donor than other clinics.

I think through a combination of strip/FUE they believe that the donor can be maxed out in order to provide lower and more dense hairlines.

Some have stated that his approach is unethical.

I think technically Dr. Armani is one of the best surgeons in the world.

This is just an observation based on innumerous posts on several sites coupled with Armani's website.

Cheers!

haleystudios

Reaction score
I agree the B Spot:

they told me that they do a wider strip, even without fue, and able to take out more grafts. i think where most have an average donor of 8000, thats only because most doctors dont go wide enough. he is able to get about 9,000-10,000. this is what i was told, so dont yell at me, ha ha. He is the best on planet earth in my opinion, and i am fixing to call Alex with the 2000 dollar deposit to book my 2 session. i am getting my original density back (90-100 grafts cm/2) and minoxidil is growing my crown again (it was only about a silver dollar of thinning, now it is about 1/3 grown(of the silver dollar size) in and it has only been 8 weeks.

i need work only in the remaing crown, and zone 1 and 2. zone 3 is solid and 4 is almost solid (its only about a quarter now of thinning not baldness)

i was told that i can get my original density back from front to back with 6000-7000 grafts, but i have a feeling that it will be less than that because this was quoted from my pictures 8-9 months ago.

so i am about to be a N3.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First off you dont need 90-100 g/cm2 and secondly there has never been any research that proves your thinning region was originally at the same density as your donor region. That's a marketing ploy. Density varies thru out your head.

Lets say you were at 90 FU for arguments sake and you thin out. You can lose up to 50 % of your original density before you start to look or appear thin. You can get away with 40-50 g/cm2 and still block out the sun even if your hair characteristics are average at best.

Also bear in mind alot of the bashing of Armani is done by other patients who are "cheerleaders" for their docs and you should take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I like Armani. I consulted with them. I didnt need the 2720 they proposed but If I did go to them I would opt for 70 g//cm2 instead of the proposed 90-100 g/cm2. Alot of those grafts could die off and not make it and thats risky.

Keep researching and meet patients in person.

G

Well I am happy that you are happy with your choice of physician!!!!!

Technically, Armani does do some oustanding work, which is undeniable.

Two things worry me: 1. When we start to "forecast" the available amount of donor on men who are age 20-40. The size of the strip is moot if the donor simply isn't available, or if the strip is removed outside of the safe zone.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for sessions where a strip 1.5-2cm X 28-30cm long is taken in order to maximize a virgin scalp on Norwood 5, 6, or 7's.
(we can question how large, and if we should)etc... but that is another debate
We just need to be careful when quoting donor, period.
If you have 9,000 to 10,000 grafts available ask for a 1 million dollar guarantee. Pretty simple, right?

If it is that easy to forcast future hairloss then docs who say a patient has 9 to 10,000 grafts (when examining a person 20 to 40) then we should get some type of guarantee.

2. Why in gods name does anyone need 90 to 100 fu's cm/2????

For most of us 55 to 70 will provide a no see through amazing result, so why potentially waste it?

I certainly wish you well and I hope your results are amazing.
Just think about yourself now and in the future and make the best decision with ALL of the information at your disposal.
Good Luck!!!!

Reaction score
soccerguy11 said:
Many people on these forums claim Armani does hairlines that are too dense or aggresive.

Are there any Armani patients who (maybe several years ago) got surgery and now realize that their hairline was too low or not conservative enough and now have run out of donor area?

If none of these people exist, it means one of two things:

1) Armani hasn't been doing surgery long enough for people to lose enough hair down the road to realize the "future-devistation" he's caused them by using alot of donor hair
2) These people do not exist, and, although Armani hairlines maybe low, dense or operated on young patients, he still does quality work and it all works out.

I totally disagree about the low hairline.. I was just in Armani's office yesterday and Shane who's a consultant there took my 6 month post-op pics.. I don't think my new hairline is low at all.. If you want a higher hairline, just ask..

For crying out loud, you only have to tell him what you want, how hard can that be ?? BTW, I am very happy with my results thus far .. It's only 6 months and I see alot of stubbles and sprouts still popping through the scalp when I separate my hair through the mirror ..

Here's some before and after pics at 6 months .. I am 6 months almost to the day.. I had surgery April 28, 2006.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/atta ... 2Dop%2Ejpg

All the best,
SNB

G

Your results are great SNB.

Your hairline is great as well.

You are one of the hair transplant I have seen come out of Armani that make sense to me. Not to low, not to high.

Defending Armani's placement of hairlines is not good practice at this point simply because it will most likely be 10 years or better before any of his younger patients lose additional hair (medicine, awareness, etc..)

Time will tell the end results, good or bad.

Again, I am really happy for you, you look like a million!!!

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got a FUSS procedure done by Alvi Armani. I don't know how he usually operates, but the day my surgery was done he was doing surgery on another patient. I believe this is why I got a discounted rate. Because I am poor this discounted rate was appreciated. That being said, it also made my experience less than ideal.

Firstly, there was no consultation in the morning like one would expect. I was in the operating chair drugged up on something that was shot into me by a nurse "for my relaxation" when Armani came and drew a hairline for me. Man, if you saw that line you would truly think it was freakish. I have no idea what he was thinking. So I told him it was too low. Then he drew another one, and I told him it was still too low. He said something like the line is only a guide, he doesn't follow it exactly, and that the hairline would be higher. Which doesn't make sense to me, but it's tough to argue with a doctor when you are sitting in an operating chair.

Well, I personally felt his hairline was too low that he gave me, but I pulled out a bunch of grafts and I expect I will have a satisfactory hairline when all is said and done.

I will say he did a great job with the incision, and that when looking at the photos of patients from other hair transplant surgeon websites, I would take my experience with Armani over what other surgeons deliver for their clients, which are shitty looking hairlines unless you plan on getting into politics.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh, and to the gentleman who said that you can't judge a procdure until 10 years down the road, I totally disagree with that. I want a youthful hairline. Fortunately I got the work done without having alot of hairloss, so I could get more procedures done. But if I couldn't, that wouldn't be Armani's fault. If a client wants a youthful hairline, then the client should get that. That client then has the choice to use a comprehensive regimen of topicals and internals to keep the original hair he has. In my opinion, a truly comprehensive regimen will keep ones hair, regardless of its predisposition to fall out. And even if it does fall out, at least the client had the chance to have (and did have for a period of time) a youthful looking hairline, which is what most people want, and look best with. (And I'm not talking about a norwood 0 here specifically...just something a person would have in their 20s and look good.)

G

Follically Challenged said:
I will say he did a great job with the incision, and that when looking at the photos of patients from other hair transplant surgeon websites, I would take my experience with Armani over what other surgeons deliver for their clients, which are shitty looking hairlines unless you plan on getting into politics.

Can you explain the politics comment? I don't get it.

And can you list what you think a comprehensive regimen of internals and topicals to keep ones hair would be? I assume your list wouldn't include minoxidil because it only provides an offset, so it would include stuff like Avodart, RU, etc?

thanks.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Politicians often seem to have the hair going all one way at the front. And that seems to be something hair transplant doctors do alot in terms of surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gephardt

http://www.marlarosenberg.com/img_ba/kinnear_before.jpg
http://www.marlarosenberg.com/img_ba/kinnear_after.jpg

Comprehensive would include avodart, as well as an anti-androgen and/or 17a estradiol (to reduce the levels of testosterone in the scalp.)

I would include a growth agent or agents (NANO, minoxidil, L-Arginine, Phenytoin) in a comprehensive regime, because the regrowth you obtain will help to offset any loss that may occur over the years. It is not important to have every hair you had as a child, as mild hairloss is undetectable.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Also, I think green tea and lots of soy products (either internally, topically, or both) will help because Japanese men seem to have alot less hair loss.

haleystudios

Reaction score

B SPOT AND LOOKING GOOD,
Thanks for your honest reply!! it opens my eyes to wisdom to make me think.

I understand about the donor issue, but i have probably 6,000-7,000 grafts left, not including the FUE and BHT (which i am a beast).
i understand that its enough to block the sun with a little see thru at 50-60 grafts cm/2.
i understand that there is not guarantee 100 grafts cm/2 the first go around and may require a touch up.

However, Dr. Armani guarantees what he says he can do, and he told me on the phone 100 grafts cm/2 from front to back, no problem. it would require 2 surgeries.
i also understand that density varies throughout the head, but all i am going to do is tell him to run a dense oh meter through my sides and zone 3, and then i will say, " ok, thats the density i want"

2 back up plans of FUE and BHT, with money not being an issue, i think i will be ok. If it all goes to sh$t, then i will shave my head.
thanks for all your support, i pray that all goes well

G

Follically Challenged said:
Politicians often seem to have the hair going all one way at the front. And that seems to be something hair transplant doctors do alot in terms of surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Gephardt

http://www.marlarosenberg.com/img_ba/kinnear_before.jpg
http://www.marlarosenberg.com/img_ba/kinnear_after.jpg

Comprehensive would include avodart, as well as an anti-androgen and/or 17a estradiol (to reduce the levels of testosterone in the scalp.)

I would include a growth agent or agents (NANO, minoxidil, L-Arginine, Phenytoin) in a comprehensive regime, because the regrowth you obtain will help to offset any loss that may occur over the years. It is not important to have every hair you had as a child, as mild hairloss is undetectable.

So is Dick Gephardt balding? I always find it hard to tell with those combed in front styles.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
If I'm just interested in getting my hairline and temples restored, can anyone reccomed a good density? I know it's difficult without me showing pic's. My hair appears to be a Norwood 2.

G

Just to follow up here

#1 IF anyone is relying on meds to retain hair forever that is simply a guess or a pipe dream at this point.
NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can determine the length of time Propecia or dutasteride will slow/halt/regrow hair in any one particular person.

DHT is a the silent assasin that will NEVER go away, so for you to make an assumption that your meds or whatever else you use is going to work for the rest of your life is a 50/50 CHANCE at best

That comment is ignorant and misinformed.

Second, ethical views are subjective so any discussion about your youthful hairline is completely ridiculous.

What I have a problem with is your idea that Armani or any other doctor for that matter has a CHOICE to give the patient what they want.
That is complete and utter GARBAGE
Your doctor has a responsibility to act in an ethical safe manner, period.

Is your doctor guaranteeing that your meds will work forever?
Is your doctor guaranteeing that your donor region will NEVER be affected by DHT?

You need to reevaluate your information and perhaps look to other sources of information.

Now getting back to my comments: If you read my post you will see that I said discussing the placement of hairlines right now is ignorant and that the ETHICAL RAMIFICATIONS would not start to take place at least until 10 years or so have passed. We can judge a hair transplant in 6-8 months, I am talking about a holistic approach both now and in the future.

Last, I HOPE that what you say plays out as reality. I do not wish harm on anyone. I just take umbrage with the idea that a finite donor source that scientifically is shown to minimize over time can somehow "guarantee" a specific amount of donor resource 10-15-20 years down the road. If you stop and think about it, it is preposterous. I read a statement by Dr. Hasson who stated that 11-17% of balding men will reach a Norwood 6+ or 7 in their lifetime. I know that as a balding man in my 20's it would be something to consider when planning my hairloss treatment.

I wish you the best and hope you incorporate a wider view of what you and many others are trying to accomplish.