Question about washing my hair.

Kamolahy

Reaction score
I've been told by a couple of girls I dated that it's not terribly healthy for your hair to wash it frequently.

Well my hairloss has progressed quite a bit and I'm getting ready to get onto the big 3 as a last effort before I give up on good looks. As such, I've been wearing hats ALL the time. When I take off my hat, my hair obviously looks rediculous so I wash it to manipulate it into the style I'm currently using with it.

SO, it turns out I wash my hair a lot because I have to take off my hat at times in places I can't wear it.

Does anyone know anything about the positive or negative effects of washing your hair too much? If I use chemicals in my (however thin) hair is that proven to be really bad for it as well?

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey buddy. I tend to wash my hair daily when I have it short, but less frequently as it gets longer, otherwise it just turns to a big fluffy mess.
One thing you could do is check out natural shampoos and conditions that don't contain harmful petrochemicals like SLS. Stuff like that (In all major shampoo brands, it's the stuff that causes the shampoo to sud up) strips your hair of all it's natural oils. If you go a hunt out some natural stuff, probably from a health food store or pharmacy, you could wash your hair twice a day and it would be ok (like I do sometimes).
All in all, keeping your hair clean is a good thing, but you wanna make sure your using the best products.

Peace...

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Kamolahy said:
I've been told by a couple of girls I dated that it's not terribly healthy for your hair to wash it frequently.

Well my hairloss has progressed quite a bit and I'm getting ready to get onto the big 3 as a last effort before I give up on good looks. As such, I've been wearing hats ALL the time. When I take off my hat, my hair obviously looks rediculous so I wash it to manipulate it into the style I'm currently using with it.

SO, it turns out I wash my hair a lot because I have to take off my hat at times in places I can't wear it.

Does anyone know anything about the positive or negative effects of washing your hair too much? If I use chemicals in my (however thin) hair is that proven to be really bad for it as well?

Yeah man im also very paranoid about washing my hair to frequently. I really dont believe its necessary. I think its good to let ur hairs natural oils build up. I wash my hair every 3-4 days and get excellent results from this. Infact my hair looks better when its slightly dirty and actually sits better. My hair turns to fluff when its washed and i need to add alot of product to make it look good again. As for shampoos, you gotta experiement, some really can leave your hair looking like crap, while for another person the same shampoo will do wonders. So it depends on the texture of your hair etc. Girls often wash there hair everyday coz they have long hair and looks good washed, shinny and silky when sitting down, guys dont really need this effect. So to answer your question. For most guys id suggest washing your hair every second day or third day.