Question about using thickening shampoo

bojangles

Reaction score
How exactly do they work? How often do you have to use it for it to be effective and how long before you see results? And how important is it to use a thickening shampoo and conditioner? I'm considering trying the Aveda thickening shampoo , but the stuff looks expensive, let alone for both the shampoo and conditioner. But I guess I'm mostly interested in knowing how long the effect lasts. Is it something you need to use daily or only a couple times a week. And if you use it for a while, see results, and then suddenly stop, how long until the effect goes away?

Also, if I throw nizoral into the mix, when should I use these products? Would it be best to, say, use them on the same day, using the shampoo, then the conditioner, and then the nizoral?

bojangles

Reaction score
A whole board of people using all sorts of shampoos and conditioners and whatnot, and nobody knows?

By the way I just came back from Whole Foods with a bottle of the Jason's thin-to-thick shampoo. What would be the benefit to getting the conditioner as well, and again, how often should I use this stuff?

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
The Thin to Thick shampoo is good stuff - although it's pretty hard on the scalp due to the fruit acids in it.

After my first week of using the shampoo I got a few small pimples on my scalp. However, I then cut my usage down to twice a week, immediately before my Nizoral soak and all has been fine since.

If you want to use the shampoo daily, I'd suggest the conditioner (or similar good conditioner) would be essential to soothe the scalp...

Def

bojangles

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

If I use a conditioner with a thickening shampoo, does the conditioner have to be a thickener as well, or will it not matter?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you should use NANO...Maaan I am loving that stuff except the cost.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Jason is effective for the long term. Seems like NANO is. i cant put a stam on that fact but I think there are a few who can.

icon smith

Reaction score
Jason's T&T and Dr P's Nano are the two best thickening shampoos that I have used and Lord knows I've tried most of them.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bojangles said:
Thanks for the reply.

If I use a conditioner with a thickening shampoo, does the conditioner have to be a thickener as well, or will it not matter?

Good question...like to know this also :?