question about stopping minoxidil after 3 years of using

immortal_wisdom

Reaction score
hello for all the great members ,,,thank you very much for your great interactions and I hope the best for you all in fighting Hairloss,,,,
,,,,I'm confused about this word (if you stopped minoxidil after it works,,,,the new hairs will fall and you will look like the way it looked before starting treatment ,,,,does that means that minoxidil can delay progression of hairloss ?for example If I used minoxidil for 3 years from now so in year 2024 after getting a good hairs from minoxidil I decided to stop it ,,,,so my new gained hairs from minoxidil will fall out and I will be the same condition as it of now ? as of the starting year 2021 ?it's like minoxidil is freezing time for hair loss progression ?will that could be a good Idea,,,for people who don't want to use finerstride ,,,so we can buy some time until a new product for fighting DHT comes out ?or is it that my hair in year 2024 after stopping minoxidil will be the same as if I didn't used minoxidil and already the progression of hairloss continued from 2021 till 2024 ???
thank you very much for your informations

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I know is that when you stop minoxidil the state of your hair deteriorates very quickly, in terms of density and hair quality, and it does not make you feel happy. I will never ever stop again, and I want a card in my wallet stating that if I end up in a coma, the nurse has to keep applying it every day.

immortal_wisdom

Reaction score
All I know is that when you stop minoxidil the state of your hair deteriorates very quickly, in terms of density and hair quality, and it does not make you feel happy. I will never ever stop again, and I want a card in my wallet stating that if I end up in a coma, the nurse has to keep applying it every day.
Thanks ICloud ,,Actually I think it deteriorates very quickly is that first the contrast and difference between the quality of Minoxidil hairs
and the quality of the original (DHT deteriorated hairs )is big + the panic u get from shedding ,,makes it seems like it very bad ,,,but actually the hair you see is the hair situation if you never started minoxidil in the first place ,,,,
LOOOOOOOOOL you are right about that because If I wake from coma and find myself Bald ,,,,I prefer to die

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks ICloud ,,Actually I think it deteriorates very quickly is that first the contrast and difference between the quality of Minoxidil hairs
and the quality of the original (DHT deteriorated hairs )is big + the panic u get from shedding ,,makes it seems like it very bad ,,,but actually the hair you see is the hair situation if you never started minoxidil in the first place ,,,,
LOOOOOOOOOL you are right about that because If I wake from coma and find myself Bald ,,,,I prefer to die
Yes, there is a big difference in quality between the two. I have diffuse thinning, and my hair when miniaturized looks a lot worse than how it looks after a couple of years of minoxidil. So in my case, after the shedding from minoxidil, and the Androgenetic Alopecia catching up again, my hair looked very bad. My hair situation before starting minoxidil was not good, so going back to that situation was only a very negative experience for me.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, there is a big difference in quality between the two. I have diffuse thinning, and my hair when miniaturized looks a lot worse than how it looks after a couple of years of minoxidil. So in my case, after the shedding from minoxidil, and the Androgenetic Alopecia catching up again, my hair looked very bad. My hair situation before starting minoxidil was not good, so going back to that situation was only a very negative experience for me.
Is it reversible by just starting minoxidil again?

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil works by increasing blood flow via vasodilation. Since vasodilatation is temporary (minoxidil half life is 22 hours), you need to keep using.

You can however combine it with microneedling. Microneedling will create new blood vessels (angiogenesis), therefore, the increase in blood flow will be more durable.

There are actually studies that show this, you keep your results longer if you do microneedling.

At the end of 18 months of follow up, all patients had maintained the same response that was achieved at the end of last session of microneedling.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458936/

These four men in the study were using finasteride and topical minoxidil for years. Then got results when added microneedling sessions and results were maintained for at least 18 months after stopping microneedling.

I think that to get fast results we should microneedle every week (aim for pinpoint bleeding), but for maintenance, once a month seems reasonable.

longhair1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Using less frequently instead of stopping completely, for example, using it once a day or once every other day. Will that help keep the minoxidil hair?

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Using less frequently instead of stopping completely, for example, using it once a day or once every other day. Will that help keep the minoxidil hair?

Minoxidil's half life is 22 hours, you can use it only once a day, preferably in the morning.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Minoxidil works by increasing blood flow via vasodilation. Since vasodilatation is temporary (minoxidil half life is 22 hours), you need to keep using.

You can however combine it with microneedling. Microneedling will create new blood vessels (angiogenesis), therefore, the increase in blood flow will be more durable.

There are actually studies that show this, you keep your results longer if you do microneedling.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458936/

These four men in the study were using finasteride and topical minoxidil for years. Then got results when added microneedling sessions and results were maintained for at least 18 months after stopping microneedling.

I think that to get fast results we should microneedle every week (aim for pinpoint bleeding), but for maintenance, once a month seems reasonable.

This is true, but I stopped micro needling after a year because:

1) I was worried about sun exposure to the wounds being bad for the skin, potentially cancerous
2) I heard micro needling isn't a good idea if you are going to get a hair transplant soon (which is what I plan to do.)

My gains were a little better with micro needling and minoxidil but not much better than minoxidil alone, so for me it wasn't worth it.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
hello for all the great members ,,,thank you very much for your great interactions and I hope the best for you all in fighting Hairloss,,,,
,,,,I'm confused about this word (if you stopped minoxidil after it works,,,,the new hairs will fall and you will look like the way it looked before starting treatment ,,,,does that means that minoxidil can delay progression of hairloss ?for example If I used minoxidil for 3 years from now so in year 2024 after getting a good hairs from minoxidil I decided to stop it ,,,,so my new gained hairs from minoxidil will fall out and I will be the same condition as it of now ? as of the starting year 2021 ?it's like minoxidil is freezing time for hair loss progression ?will that could be a good Idea,,,for people who don't want to use finerstride ,,,so we can buy some time until a new product for fighting DHT comes out ?or is it that my hair in year 2024 after stopping minoxidil will be the same as if I didn't used minoxidil and already the progression of hairloss continued from 2021 till 2024 ???
thank you very much for your informations

You will have a massive shed and bald areas going to get bigger. There is none sense at all on stop it. Use it only one time per day, add tretinoin .
If it ain't broke, don't fix it .