question about spironolactone

AntzMK

Reaction score
Dear all:
I have a question of how to apply the spironolactone, first of all how many ml should I apply on my scalp? I will apply to my crown and the part that is thin on my scalp. what about the else? just I also apply all over my head or just the thin part? (cause I am not sure it can prevent hair loss for the part that's heathly) and wt is the different between the 2% and 5? should I use both?
Beside that, I would also consider about even Fluridil and Revivogen. which one is good effective with spironolactone? or any other topical combo that work togehter?
any experiance user have any advise?
sorry about the bad grammar.

Thanks very much
regards

explife157

Reaction score
Fluridil is considered more powerful than spironolactone as an anti-androgen. But it seems less people using it because of the deficiency of the scientific proof. In addition, many people use Revivogen&Spironolactone combo to fight male pattern baldness.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
AntzMK said:
Dear all:
I have a question of how to apply the spironolactone, first of all how many ml should I apply on my scalp? I will apply to my crown and the part that is thin on my scalp. what about the else? just I also apply all over my head or just the thin part? (cause I am not sure it can prevent hair loss for the part that's heathly) and wt is the different between the 2% and 5? should I use both?
Beside that, I would also consider about even Fluridil and Revivogen. which one is good effective with spironolactone? or any other topical combo that work togehter?
any experiance user have any advise?
sorry about the bad grammar.

Thanks very much
regards

1ml of the 2% applied to all thinned / thinning areas.

2% is a lotion and 5% is a cream. 2% is thought to be about as effective as 5% (according to Dr. Lee). If you want to use both - use 2% in the AM and 5% in the PM.

spironolactone is said to have a synergistic compimentary action w/ Revivogen serum.

I've never tried Fluridil - but those that have seem to like it.

AntzMK

Reaction score
Thanks very much to your advise,
Dear hair transplant:
So which mean no different between use the spironolactone 2% and 5%??
what about the else of my hair?? should I also apply the spironolactone on it? cause I don't when will the DHT attack my other part of hair.
also, if i want to use spironolactone and Revivogen together at night, which one should i use first? spironolactone or revivogen? and how long should i wait to apply the other one on my scalp?
so what do u think about revivogen and Fluridil? which one u will choose if you have the situtation as me? (cannot take Propecia)
beside that, what else i can actually use on my scalp?

thanks very much
regards

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Thanks very much to your advise,

Dear hair transplant:
> So which mean no different between use the spironolactone 2% and 5%??

According to Dr. Lee 2% is "about as effective" as 5%. As with any treatment though - your mileage may vary. Some people like the 2% better than the 5% - and vice versa.

> what about the else of my hair?? should I also apply the spironolactone on it? cause I don't when will the DHT attack my other part of hair.

1ml of the 2% should be enough to cover your entire scalp and temples.

> also, if i want to use spironolactone and Revivogen together at night, which one should i use first? spironolactone or revivogen? and how long should i wait to apply the other one on my scalp?

If you're using the 2% - apply that first, wait until your scalp dries and then apply the Rev.

> so what do u think about revivogen and Fluridil? which one u will choose if you have the situtation as me? (cannot take Propecia)
beside that, what else i can actually use on my scalp?

Don't know anything about fluridil. sorry.

powersam

Reaction score
appy it to the balding areas i would say, and from most accounts spironolactone will be most effective if used at least twice, optimally thrice for the best results. not much more needs to be said i guess, just put it on your head

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
spironolactone is said to have a synergistic compimentary action w/ Revivogen serum.

The origin of any such claim is invariably the Matias (1988) study that observed a synergistic effect between spironolactone and progesterone when topically applied to hamsters. The synergistic effect was concentration dependent (it was observed only at very low concentrations of spironolactone and progesterone). Antiandrogens and 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors affect the same target but through different mechanisms, so there is a rational basis for combining them, even though there is no data to confirm the synergy.

Matias, J. R., V. L. Malloy, et al. (1988). "Synergistic antiandrogenic effects of topical combinations of 5 alpha-reductase and androgen receptor inhibitors in the hamster sebaceous glands." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 91(5): 429-33.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Dave001 said:
hair_tomorrow said:

The origin of any such claim is invariably the Matias (1988) study that observed a synergistic effect between spironolactone and progesterone when topically applied to hamsters. The synergistic effect was concentration dependent (it was observed only at very low concentrations of spironolactone and progesterone). Antiandrogens and 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors affect the same target but through different mechanisms, so there is a rational basis for combining them, even though there is no data to confirm the synergy.

Matias, J. R., V. L. Malloy, et al. (1988). "Synergistic antiandrogenic effects of topical combinations of 5 alpha-reductase and androgen receptor inhibitors in the hamster sebaceous glands." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 91(5): 429-33.

Dave: Do you stay away from using finasteride. topically because it likely "does it's stuff" by systemic absorption?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
appy it to the balding areas i would say, and from most accounts spironolactone will be most effective if used at least twice, optimally thrice for the best results. not much more needs to be said i guess, just put it on your head

Which accounts are you referring to? Anecdotal reports from forums are less reliable than no data at all.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Dave: Do you stay away from using finasteride. topically because it likely "does it's stuff" by systemic absorption?

Yeah, it penetrates the skin a bit too well. There was one small study that showed a localized effect in hirsutism, but it's pretty clear that any vehicle incorporating finasteride would need sufficient testing before one could be confident that its activity was localized to the area of application.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here are some references to topical spironolactone studies, listed in chronological order. Some are more relevant than others.

Weissmann, A., J. Bowden, et al. (1985). "Antiandrogenic effects of topically applied spironolactone on the hamster flank organ." Archives of Dermatology 121(1): 57-62.

Walton, S., D. P. Lookingbill, et al. (1985). "Effect Of Topical Spironolactone On Sebum Excretion." Journal of Investigative Dermatology 84(5): 439.

Hennessey, J. V., A. R. Glass, et al. (1986). "Comparative antiandrogenic potency of spironolactone and cimetidine: assessment by the chicken cockscomb topical bioassay." Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine 182(4): 443-7.

Walton, S., W. J. Cunliffe, et al. (1986). "Lack of effect of topical spironolactone on sebum excretion." British Journal of Dermatology 114(2): 261-4.

Massone, L., A. Pestarino, et al. (1987). "Topical Treatment Of Acne With Spironolactone." Clinica Terapeutica 123(4): 271-273.

Berardesca, E., P. Gabba, et al. (1987). "Topical Treatment Of Acne Using Substances With Hormonal Activity." Chronica Dermatologica 18(SUPPL. 14): 649-654.

Tomidei, M. and G. Strani (1987). "Spironolactone administered topically in the treatment of acne." Clinica Terapeutica 122(2): 99-105.

Prantera, M., A. Pizzino, et al. (1988). "[Topical antiandrogen therapy in seborrheic blepharitis]." Giornale Italiano di Dermatologia e Venereologia 123(11): 581-2.

Rey, F. O., C. Valterio, et al. (1988). "Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man." Journal of Endocrinological Investigation 11(4): 273-8.

Berardesca, E., P. Gabba, et al. (1988). "Topical spironolactone inhibits dihydrotestosterone receptors in human sebaceous glands: an autoradiographic study in subjects with acne vulgaris." International Journal of Tissue Reactions 10(2): 115-9.

Califano, L., S. Cannavo, et al. (1990). "Experience in the therapy of acne with topical administration of spironolactone as an antiandrogen." Clinica Terapeutica 135(3): 193-9.

Messina, M., C. Manieri, et al. (1990). "Oral and topical spironolactone therapies in skin androgenization." Panminerva Medica 32(2): 49-55.

Wester, R. C. and H. I. Maibach (1990). In-Vitro Testing Of Topical Pharmaceutical Formulations. Osborne, D. W. And A. H. Amann: 213-220.

Noto, G., G. Pravata, et al. (1991). "Topical canrenoic acid. Quantification of the antiandrogenic activity in the hamster flank organ." International Journal of Dermatology 30(11): 810-3.

Raynal, S., J. L. Grossiord, et al. (1993). "A topical W/O/W multiple emulsion containing several active substances: Formulation, characterization and study of release." Journal of Controlled Release 26(2): 129-140.

Fernandez-Vozmediano, J. M., G. Gil-Tocados, et al. (1994). "Contact dermatitis due to topical spironolactone." Contact Dermatitis 30(2): 118-119.

Seki, T., T. Toyomoto, et al. (1995). "Effects of topically applied spironolactone on androgen stimulated sebaceous glands in the hamster pinna." Journal of Dermatology 22(4): 233-7.

Yamamoto, A. and M. Ito (1996). "Topical spironolactone reduces sebum secretion rates in young adults." Journal of Dermatology 23(4): 243-246.

Dill-Muller, D. and H. Zaun (1997). "Topical treatment of androgenetic alopecia with spironolactone." Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 9(Supplement 1): S31.

Zhou Zhanchao, Z. J. and W. Xu (1997). "Study on the suppressive action of preparations composed of ofloxacin, spironolactone and Tanshinone on the Syrian hamster flank organ." Zhonghua Pifuke Zazhi 30(3): 182-184.

AntzMK

Reaction score
Dave, so what kind of treatment that u use now?
I am waiting for my credit card then i can order it cause I can't buy the spironolactone in Hong Kong, so in this period of time i am still looking for another topical that can work well with spironolactone. my job is want to maintain my hair now. cause i don't want to consider about the propecia, even though i know is veryyy effect. any other people have any advise or experience of using the topical to fight the hairloss??
regard