Question about my crown - pics

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about a Norwood 2-3 I would say at my estimation. I will post another thread with hairline shots to confirm. I feel like I've held steady there for the most part since I started Propecia 8.5-9 years ago.

However, over the last 6 years the spot on my crown has very slowly become bigger and bigger. This is where it's at now. My concern is the pattern which it is taking. In addition to the hole, it also runs off to the side as you can see. I'm not sure how common this is or why it is doing this, just wondered what you thought as far as how this fits in with male pattern baldness.

The biggest problem I have with it is it seems to shift around, depending on how my hair dries. Some days the side tangent "line" isn't visible, just the dot...where some days the line shifts positions slightly. The hole is sometimes larger than others also. What form of treatment would you recommend adding? I can't imagine how or where I would apply minoxidil as it is constantly moving. Thanks!

IMG_4054.jpgIMG_4049.jpgIMG_3855.jpgIMG_3939.jpgIMG_3876.jpgIMG_3921.jpgIMG_3888.jpgIMG_3880.jpg

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It still looks ok but I can understand by what you mean that it may have been getting bigger over the past 6 years. Is it just that spot that is thinning more or is it the whole crown?

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be that it's how you comb your hair plus a more general thinning of the crown. My suggestion would be to use minoxidil all over the crown but it depends on if it will work. Have you ever used it before?

I have to add though that if this is what has been maintained after 9 years on propecia then I'm really impressed and hope I can be able to say that after 9 years.

JohnC43

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool thx. Yeah I usually look at it with two mirrors. What's the issue with minoxidil?

- - - Updated - - -

Johnc43,

I have this exact same problem!!!

Only difference I have awkward thinning on the sides and the crown thing you describe...

I would just leave it alone for now. Maybe find some natural fixes. Minoxidil is really an itchy mess. Finasteride is great (if you don't get erectile dysfunction problems).
Anyways, massage oils and make sure it's not dry. It always looks worse on a camera, trust me. If you can use two mirrors to look at the back, then that would give you a clear picture...
Does minoxidil cause shedding?

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah minoxidil had been known to cause initial shedding.

I've been on propecia for more than 5 months now, i'm still losing hair but my plan is to go on to minoxidil by the next month.

I'm just gonna put it on my temples and hairline for the first few months, basically test it out before I start putting it on the rest of my scalp.