Question about Minoxidil, Young man w/ a side effect issue

Nizzle

Reaction score
I'm a 23 year old guy. I've used spironolactone 2% for about 3 months with no side effects along with nizoral. About a month ago I added minoxidil 5% and noticed a bit of a rapid heartbeat with occasional chest pains. I'm using it twice a day and i've only recently started to thin along the hairline and crown. Since i've only recently started to thin and want to get some regrowth but mostly just to maintain, Do you guys think once a day would be enough for the Minoxidil to work? Do you think the rapid heartbeat would go away? Obviously rapid heartbeat isn't going to cut it! I'd rather be alive and bald with a strong heart!

Thanks for your help!

Bnguyen

Reaction score
What solution minoxidil you're using? Try it out for a month, like many other medication your body have to get use to it. I been new to this too, and i do feel like i have a stronger heartbeat and my head is kinda in la la land when i apply it, but try it for month, if it gets worst, than stop, if it decereases than you're on the right track. Hope that helps.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah i used to get rapid heartbeats sometimes too.. after about a month of usage it stopped.. but my problem was flaking and itching.

does this (rapid heartbeating) frequently occur?

Nizzle

Reaction score
I use minoxidil 5% and apply twice a day to my hairline and crown. I would say the chest pains are kinda rare but the rapid heartbeat...happens every day at one time or another. I am very healthy, I had a resting heart rate of around 58 beats per minute, which is considered above average. Sometimes, Now I have around 63-65 beats per minute and that scares me. My heart beats more than once a second sometimes! Although this is still a very average heart rate, it's the increase from what it used to be that scares me. I suppose I can give it a little more time to see if my body can adapt to it and I can be more careful with the applications to make sure not to use extra, which could make the side effects worse. I was just wondering if taking it ONCE a day would still work, and how well it would work compared to TWICE a day.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm damn i really dont know what to say.. since i just started using minoxidil also... well for the few rare times that i did get a rapid heart beat i felt really lightheaded too at the same time. if you're using more than 1 ml a day maybe ur using too much. good luck sorry i couldnt help much

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using Rogaine 5% for about a month straight now... the first week or so I noticed random pains in my chest about a half an hour after applying it, and it would happen on and off for about 10 minutes or so.

During the second week what I did was take a single Excedrin about 30 minutes before application. I then split up the Rogaine so that I applied .5ml and then 30 minutes later applied the rest. I had no chest pains that week.

After that I went back to normal usage and no troubles at all.

G

I got the heart 'palpatations' thing for a few weeks, I put it down to systemic over absorbtion. I noticed this only happened when I applied the minoxidil to a damp scalp, when I let my scalp dry after a bath/shower the palpatations went completely.

Petchsky

Reaction score
tynanW said:
I got the heart 'palpatations' thing for a few weeks, I put it down to systemic over absorbtion. I noticed this only happened when I applied the minoxidil to a damp scalp, when I let my scalp dry after a bath/shower the palpatations went completely.

Aye? You mean if your scalp is damp it will increase absorption ? If thats the case i'm trying it...and if i don't post here again you can take it that i've suffered a heart attack.

Nizzle

Reaction score
Interesting, I almost always apply it right after a shower, therefore my scalp is wet. That is a great tip, maybe it is absorbing too much because of that. The directions even mention to wait until it is dry, but I never really bothered because they don't mention why! I hope that works for me too, Thanks! :lol:

Bnguyen

Reaction score
No guys, dont apply it when your hair is wet, it just make the solution less concentrated, therefore you dont get the full 5% or 2% solution. If the symptoms dont go away, just lower the amount use.

Minoxilid 5% + H20 ---> Minoxidil X%

X<5

got it?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys... It's well known that after a hot bath or after using the sauna then your pores will open up. This is why it's best to shave right after bath - it will be much more smooth and clean. This is also the reason that chicks boil water and put their heads over the hot water while having a towel over to get all the steam in their faces. This way it's much easier to remove blackheads etc., due to the open pores.

This is why Dr. Proctor advices that you apply Proxiphen after bath, while your skin is still damp - not wet! That way your skin will absorb a lot better due to the open pores.

But don't do it with wet skin, dry your skin first with the towel and then apply.