Question about hair transplants

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
The technique of hair transplants is nowadays the only one able to recover the hair lost long time ago. My question is: Does sensitivity remain in those areas that have been transplanted? or Is there a reduction of sensitivity in such areas?

TIA

Armando

gonzo

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean by sensitivity- as living follicles are take from one area to another there should be no difference as to when you had hair in the balding area previously in realtion to 'sensitivity'

There again I'm no doctor, so someone else may be able to assist more!

GONZO :)

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Armando is likely inquiring about the issue of lost sensitivity due to nerve damage in the area where the hairs are *implanted* up front. This can be somewhat of an issue, but i am not clear to what extent. I will have Dr. Limmer reply in this thread for you within the next 24 hours hopefully, with his thoughts.

HairLossTalk.com

G

HairlossTalk said:
Armando is likely inquiring about the issue of lost sensitivity due to nerve damage in the area where the hairs are *implanted* up front. This can be somewhat of an issue, but i am not clear to what extent. I will have Dr. Limmer reply in this thread for you within the next 24 hours hopefully, with his thoughts.

HairLossTalk.com

There is a period of "deadness" in the transplanted area that lasts for some time. Eventually, the nerve connnections regrow and sensations return.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this early reponses.
But, Bruce Lee, do you think really there is possible a nerve growth in the trasplanted area?. I find extrange because is very dificult nerve regrowh in other areas like injuries in the cord.
Armando

G

Armando Jose said:
Thank you very much for this early reponses.
But, Bruce Lee, do you think really there is possible a nerve growth in the trasplanted area?. I find extrange because is very dificult nerve regrowh in other areas like injuries in the cord.
Armando

Well I have experienced this three different times with my transplants, so it must work, no??

:lol:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
The same reference in:
http://www.hairtransplantation.com/faqs.html
http://www.paulcotterillmd.com/about_pro.html
http://www.walterunger.com/after_session.html
"A temporary decrease in scalp sensitivity is always noted after transplanting because nerves are cut as donor grafts are taken and recipient sites are prepared. Usually this will correct itself completely in 3 to 18 months as the nerves regenerate. Rarely, there may be a permanent slight degree of decreased sensitivity in one or more small areas."

It's possible, but intriguing. Thank you BruceLee

Armando

hairlimmer

Reaction score
Armando Jose

:lol:

I have not had any of my patients experience a problem of decreased or increased sensation in the transplanted zone. I have seen patients who had old plugs or slit grafts who experienced prolonged or permanent sensory loss. This is because the nerves are cut as a result of the injury the blade/ punch makes during site creation. I feel the reason we do not see this problem is because the vast majority of our recipient sites are 1mm or less in size and no greater than 4-5 mm in depth. This facts minimizes the risk of damaging the underlying nerves that would result in sensory changes.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac
:)

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much Dr. Limmer.
Your reply is very lightening. I had heard comments of people with grafted hair who had lost sensitivity in these areas, but probably this should be due to the use of old techniques, with a greater surgical damage.

Armando