Question about Finasteride

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all. You probably know me as the hyper poster, I used to post almost daily. I hope some of you have regrown at least a bit, because it really sucks having this problem. Just struggling bad and worried I'll lose it all before 25.

I'm a month or two into finasteride but I'm wondering.. would just finasteride in best cases possibly be enough to maintain my hair, and maybe regrow or thicken some hairs for a diffuse thinner?

I caught it early but it is thinning pretty bad at the same time, no shedding though which is weird.. Just thinning I guess without the shed slowly. Pics below.

Snapchat-1708289196.jpg
Snapchat-451689189.jpg

Snapchat-1346060445.jpg

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Typically, finasteride isn't enough to regrow. Once I got on finasteride and min, that's when regrowth happened for me. 1+1=3

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got on it at 21 with similar diffusing and crown thinning. I was a hyper poster and was extremely insecure about my hair.

Now, at 25, my hair is visually the exact same, maybe *slightly* worse, but no one would be able to tell. I don’t overthink my hair loss like I did back then, but the constant fear of it progressing eventually will always give some slight anxiety. The first 6 months was scary af and I started to become more and more paranoid, thinking it was getting worse. It might have gotten a bit worse during that time, due to sheds, but now it’s virtually the same.

Stay on it if you don’t get crazy side effects (I don’t have any, I think most of them are psychological tbh). If you can live with the way your hair is now, which isn’t that bad, then you’ll be really happy that you stuck with it imo.

You can check out my finasteride update thread. It basically chronicles my whole journey, freaking out and all lol

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you hair loss is early and the follicle is not too damaged/miniaturized past a certain threshold you should get better regrowth in a sense

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, you need a growth supplement like minoxidil. Finasteride rarely causes regrowth on its own. You have great coverage, its just diffuse. Finasteride + Minoxidil should keep you afloat long enough for a breakthrough treatment to present itself in the next decade. Don't worry too much about finasteride just take your pill and everything will be dandy

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on oral minoxidill and dutasteride and spironolactone asap.
I'm not looking to go thst harsh, I thought finasteride would be fine to go on for starters? Why for me is it so different? Can't I try with finasteride

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got on it at 21 with similar diffusing and crown thinning. I was a hyper poster and was extremely insecure about my hair.

Now, at 25, my hair is visually the exact same, maybe *slightly* worse, but no one would be able to tell. I don’t overthink my hair loss like I did back then, but the constant fear of it progressing eventually will always give some slight anxiety. The first 6 months was scary af and I started to become more and more paranoid, thinking it was getting worse. It might have gotten a bit worse during that time, due to sheds, but now it’s virtually the same.

Stay on it if you don’t get crazy side effects (I don’t have any, I think most of them are psychological tbh). If you can live with the way your hair is now, which isn’t that bad, then you’ll be really happy that you stuck with it imo.

You can check out my finasteride update thread. It basically chronicles my whole journey, freaking out and all lol
People are suggesting oral duta and minoxidil combined, isn't that over doing it when I haven't even gave finasteride a chance?

My hair looks quite medium density in normal lighting but sunlight without combing it looks quite bad, but if I comb it it suddenly looks not too bad, how do I know what state my hair is.. The sunlight or normal lighting? In sunlight it looks basically aggressive balding but normal light it's like medium hair loss not noticeable as much

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, you need a growth supplement like minoxidil. Finasteride rarely causes regrowth on its own. You have great coverage, its just diffuse. Finasteride + Minoxidil should keep you afloat long enough for a breakthrough treatment to present itself in the next decade. Don't worry too much about finasteride just take your pill and everything will be dandy
Is it fine to leave minoxidil out for now? I'm just looking to pop the pill without minoxidil just yet incase something pops up and I have to quit like money issues or something.

I understand I need minoxidil for better regrowth but maybe finasteride can maintain what I have? And if I did get in a sticky spot with minoxidil my hair would get considerably worse if I went off it unwillingly. I don't trust my income for minoxidil just yet haha.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it fine to leave minoxidil out for now? I'm just looking to pop the pill without minoxidil just yet incase something pops up and I have to quit like money issues or something.

I understand I need minoxidil for better regrowth but maybe finasteride can maintain what I have? And if I did get in a sticky spot with minoxidil my hair would get considerably worse if I went off it unwillingly. I don't trust my income for minoxidil just yet haha.
I mean anything is fine, going bald is fine… just comes down to personal preference.

If your goal is to have hair then yes staying on just finasteride rather than no treatment is “fine”. Very few see regrowth just on finasteride, the majority maintain/slowly lose as the years go by.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean anything is fine, going bald is fine… just comes down to personal preference.

If your goal is to have hair then yes staying on just finasteride rather than no treatment is “fine”. Very few see regrowth just on finasteride, the majority maintain/slowly lose as the years go by.
Can't you regrow if you catch it very early? I'm seeing temple hairs pop through but no where else.

I have good coverage it's just if I brush my hair forward like a fringe you can really see how thin it is. It's diffused like everyone is saying so anything other than combed shows scalp more than most, because my hairs are thinner.

It sucks man. I don't wanna use oral minoxidill that stuff is dodgy right.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't you regrow if you catch it very early? I'm seeing temple hairs pop through but no where else.

I have good coverage it's just if I brush my hair forward like a fringe you can really see how thin it is. It's diffused like everyone is saying so anything other than combed shows scalp more than most, because my hairs are thinner.

It sucks man. I don't wanna use oral minoxidill that stuff is dodgy right.
Very unlikely you regrow just with finasteride.

It does suck. I wouldn’t recommend oral minoxidil unless its at very small dosages. <=2.5mg. Many dont see fantastic results from this, but it does help. Dr. Nadimi (very reputable) recommends this.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
It can regrow hair, over 60 % of users report regrowth/thickening on finasteride, and it seems like treatments work best for reversing loss on diffuse thinners so you have an "advantage" there. But I wouldn't count on it, you might just get some very minor thickening or just maintenance.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It does suck. I wouldn’t recommend oral minoxidil unless its at very small dosages. <=2.5mg. Many dont see fantastic results from this, but it does help. Dr. Nadimi (very reputable) recommends this.
Okay but what if I'm just wanting to maintain and possibly thicken some existing hairs or make them stronger etc. Or at least healthier or regrow temple hairs? Is any of the above possible? Some people do make the existing hairs slightly healthier and thicker I've heard, especially on diffusers?

I guess the answer is it's possible but most of the time finasteride maintains...

One other question.. My hair in sunlight looks pretty bad if not combed, is this my true state of my hair or does sunlight just make it look way worse and see through due to the diffused pattern. Because my whole scalp has hair, it's just thinned, so it covers if I comb it sideways.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can regrow hair, over 60 % of users report regrowth/thickening on finasteride, and it seems like treatments work best for reversing loss on diffuse thinners so you have an "advantage" there. But I wouldn't count on it, you might just get some very minor thickening or just maintenance.
I'd be happy if I maintained even for 5 years at least.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

I use 12.5mg daily no issues stop fear mongering bro.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay but what if I'm just wanting to maintain and possibly thicken some existing hairs or make them stronger etc. Or at least healthier or regrow temple hairs? Is any of the above possible? Some people do make the existing hairs slightly healthier and thicker I've heard, especially on diffusers?

I guess the answer is it's possible but most of the time finasteride maintains...

One other question.. My hair in sunlight looks pretty bad if not combed, is this my true state of my hair or does sunlight just make it look way worse and see through due to the diffused pattern. Because my whole scalp has hair, it's just thinned, so it covers if I comb it sideways.
U can swallow the liquid 5% min formula i use 10 drops in a capsule thats 12.5mg. many guys do this and have gotten results u wont need loniten and it saves u alot of money a 60ml bottle will last u ages. Stop being a pussy and get to work.

Jacoby77

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
U can swallow the liquid 5% min formula i use 10 drops in a capsule thats 12.5mg. many guys do this and have gotten results u wont need loniten and it saves u alot of money a 60ml bottle will last u ages. Stop being a pussy and get to work.
Wdym stop being a pussy I've already taken the first step which is Finasteride, so I'm asking about Finasteride. I'm not interested in your routine at the moment, it's been 2 months I'm giving it time.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wdym stop being a pussy I've already taken the first step which is Finasteride, so I'm asking about Finasteride. I'm not interested in your routine at the moment, it's been 2 months I'm giving it time.
Its best chance for regrowth man fina rarely gives regrowth just trying to make u stop wasting time as your hairloss is severe. I havent even gotten regrowth from high dose dutasteride for over a year.

Last edited: