Question about Androgel related hair loss

Tom77

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for some advice for my situation. 36 year old, male. I recently used Androgel 1% testosterone gel (4 pumps/day) for 2.5 weeks. I stopped using it immediately after noticing hair loss/thinning. I normally have a thick head of hair that grows fairly quickly, however, since stopping the Androgel, I have not noticed any real hair growth and my hair still seems to be getting thinner on the top. I shampoo and style it very gently to avoid pulling hairs out but still get some (5-10). It's almost been 3 weeks since my last hair cut (I usually need to go every three weeks) but I'm not going to need to at this slow/no growth rate.

My questions:
1. Can I expect my hair to start growing again at some point? It has been 13 days since I used the Androgel.
2. According to the medication information, serum testosterone levels return to pre-treatment levels five days after Androgel is discontinued. Would my DHT levels (which I know causes hair loss) also return to normal by then or shortly after and then things back to normal?

Really just hoping it's a matter of time while this stuff gets out of my system completely for things to go back to normal given that I did not use the Androgel for a very long period of time at all.

I have a prescription for Finasteride and have started to take it at a low dose (between 0.2-0.5mg) as I'm afraid of side effects (which I may already be noticing) and I'm using Nizoral 2% every three days. Is it possible that I'll just need to use the Finasteride for a short period of time to lover my DHT levels and "clean up" any excess that was produced early this month?

Would appreciate any advice, expertise, etc.
Many thanks.