Quercetin's Effect on Androgen Receptors in Hair Loss

michael barry

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co ... l/22/3/409

It seems quercitin (in onions and onion juice) reduces androgen receptor expression quite a bit.

The problem is that when quercitin is given to rats along with finasteride, their serum levels of DHT go right back up, so quercitin must interefere with finasteride. However, for you guys not currently doing finasteride as an anti-androgen, topical onion juice might hold some real benefits. A little onion juice with apple cider vinegar might be a cheap helpful homemade topical.

Format

Reaction score
So the fact that i'm on finasteride and just put a mix of apple, onion and emu oil on my head before reading this is a bad thing? F*ck... :freak:

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: quercitin and androgen receptors-the connection

michael barry said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co ... l/22/3/409

It seems quercitin (in onions and onion juice) reduces androgen receptor expression quite a bit.

The problem is that when quercitin is given to rats along with finasteride, their serum levels of DHT go right back up, so quercitin must interefere with finasteride. However, for you guys not currently doing finasteride as an anti-androgen, topical onion juice might hold some real benefits. A little onion juice with apple cider vinegar might be a cheap helpful homemade topical.

This is really interesting..there was a study done in Iraq in like 2002 or something about onion juice for hair loss (areata - I think) and it showed quite good results. My mom also heard about onion juice really good for hair loss...so I tried it for a month and no regrowth.....Maybe I should have used it longer.

Anyone knows of any other study regarding onion juice and hair loss? I am willing to go back onto onion juice if its effective.

michael barry

Reaction score
Here is the pertinent sentence referring to quercitin and finasteride together:

" Co-administration of quercetin with finasteride prevented the finasteride-induced decrease in serum DHT levels but significantly enhanced the reduction in wet prostate weight, which was reduced by 26.9% in finasteride-treated animals to 31.8%, 40.0% and 48.2% after finasteride given together with the three doses of quercetin."

Both together reduced the weight of the prostate a great deal together, but seum levels of DHT were well up. I got that in this article, http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... /181/3/493

Here is another longer download describing the same experiment. Serum levels of DHT with both quercitin and finasteride were elevated totally (above the control group even) when just a little quercitin was present, but as more quercitin was given to the rats, there was less DHT in groups given both quercitin and finas. However, the serum DHT levels never got as low as what they were with just finas alone.

Too bad..........................it would seem that adding oninon juice to the head (lots of quercitin in that) might have really resulted in less androgen binding. But it would seemingly interefere with finasteride's effect on the alpha five reductase in the root sheath if Im interpreting this correctly.

I'd like to be wrong about that however, ................anyone?

powersam

Reaction score
what i need to find out now is how it interacts with dutasteride. michael barry what kind of dose or amount of onion or green tea would i need to consume to test it right?

i'll go get blood test done checking dht levels, then eat the quercertin and get them done again. how long would i have to wait, and how long would i have to consume the quercertin for the test to be semi valid? any ideas?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there would be a beneficial synergy with the combination of topically applied quercetin and internally ingested curcumin? :hairy:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
wookster said:
I wonder if there would be a beneficial synergy with the combination of topically applied quercetin and internally ingested curcumin? :hairy:

wookster got stooped by the shampoo brothers...they toyed with you...lol...

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
wookster said:

What does quercetin and curcumin have to do with shampoo or leg pulling? :wink:

michael barry

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Another interpretation of the "onion juice and finasteride" combo could be that its still extremely good to use together. It hit me the other day.

We are concerned with prostate hyperplasia and baldness right? Increased BPH and increased baldness are something that DHT foments.

Look at the prostate weights in this downloadable version of the study on the chart on page 495 (scroll down just a little), http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... /3/493.pdf

We see quercitin alone actually increased the wet prostate weight in a dose dependent fashion. Thats scary. However, the one milligram finasteride dose lowered it from the control weights of 455, down to 332.

The highest quercetin dose seen the prostate weight alone go up to 474. So one would think that quercitin would lessen finasteride's effectiveness, but thats not what the chart says........................................................................................................................................look what happened,
The weights decreased down to 310
then.......................................273
then.......................................235

332 with finasteride (prostate weight) is almost a third higher than 235

Perhaps using the ol' onion juice on the head really would be good with the finasteride after all. Maybe the increase in serum DHT is from the fact that androgen receptors all over the little animals body are becoming less active or some arent cycling into existence so the critter has less of them, so the 10 percent of type 2 dht still being made has nowhere to bind, thus there is more of it in the animals blood levels. We are only concerned with the animals "binding" dht at the receptor sites, and by the prostate weight, about a third less of this is happening when quercetin is used with fiansteride. Used alone, querecitin actuall increased the prostae weight. I can make no sense of that, but there it is.

But we have an alopecia areata study that showed onion juice really helped it..........................go figure.

powersam

Reaction score
does dht make the prostate enlarge by binding to androgen receptors there, or is it via some other method? sorry if its a stupid question.

the more i read about quecertin the more it seems to be an amazing adjunct treatment for male pattern baldness.

-anti fibrotic (reduce scarring)
-ant histamine (for the immune component)
-reduces androgen receptors
-anti oxidant
-possible synergistic effect with finasteride (maybe..)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
wookster said:
wookster said:

I didnt they had anything to do with each other....DONT play the leg pulling card...you fell into their trap...when the rest of us knew they were morons. aka they toyed with you.

powersam

Reaction score
wookster said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":df522]
wookster said:

I didnt they had anything to do with each other....DONT play the leg pulling card...you fell into their trap...when the rest of us knew they were morons. aka they toyed with you.[/quote:df522]

not possible. wookster is one of the most knowledgeable people on this site when it comes to hair loss. if he took an interest in the no shampoo thing it would have been simply him keeping an open mind, not him buying it hook line and sinker.

moreover going back over some of his posts in those shampoo threads, they seemed more tongue in cheek than anything else.

for instance:

wookster = "Hairguy has one of the healthiest horshoe fringes I've ever seen. In July, the whole world will be shocked by the spectacle of his fantasic regrowth.

Infidel defilers will continue to doubt the holy grunge cause. It is righteous and Hairguy is the messiah of regrowth. Lord WidowsPeak is the first disciple. The number one son of grunge Very Happy "

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wookster said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":ee81e]
wookster said:

I didnt they had anything to do with each other....DONT play the leg pulling card...you fell into their trap...when the rest of us knew they were morons. aka they toyed with you.[/quote:ee81e]

This thread is about quercetin and androgen receptors. You are talking alot of bullshit, not related to the subject of this thread. I didn't fall into their trap, there was no trap to fall into.

On the other hand, the thread was deleted, I raised several cogent points that no-one could answer. Then the thread was deleted out of fear... :hairy:

Let's talk about quercetin and AR. If you want to talk shampoo then start another thread about it. I predict it will also be deleted.

Again, this is the quercetin discussion, my flaming friend. :D :D :D

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Three-month update on Quercetin 200mg daily from Algomenot brand. Hairline has receded even further. No halt of hair loss.

abcdefg

Reaction score
People must remember success when dealing with androgens is hair loss stopping. There is nothing about regrowth if you get some of that its just your lucky it does not mean its not working because its not typical or expected to regrow.
Are they saying then that if you ate enough apples, tea, or onions rich in this flavanoid then that it would dull your receptors and in theory cause your hair loss to slow or stop?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
+ 1
"success when dealing common baldness is hair loss stopping" hair regrowth is difficicult or impossible, only in a few cases of recent hair loss

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Quercetin actually made my hair loss worse, also developed acne all over my face and neck. It was the only thing I added to my regimen.