Putting An End To Ru Rumors, Need Help

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, long story short most of us have heard the heart failure rumor after RU usage.

I need two people to help us out.

One- Someone who can pinpoint where that post has originated from. The earlier instance I could find was from HairLossTalk.com in 2013 and no earlier mentions. A poster links it back to a foreign forum which has never been in English, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense imo.

Two- We have found someone who may has the answer to why the human trials have stopped so sudden. We need someone in France to call in for the entire forum and to possibly get informed.

The stability shouldn’t be the issue since ProStrakan had already bought the patent to PSK (RU) and made two different animal studies and one human study, which should cost frightening amounts of money.

And, the hair loss market back then shouldn’t be so small knowing that the trials ended in 2007. At that time HairLossTalk.com was filled by people who were looking for Finasteride alternatives.

So, in my opinion, these reasonings don’t make the most sense.

I know that RU hasn’t caused very major problem for the absolute most but I think it’s a necessity to put an end to these rumors. Please contact me if you are willing to help.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The guy was trolling. There is no way anyone could develop heart failure in two days from an anti-androgen.

Stability lol. I don't know what dunce came up with that one, but I saw it parroted on YouTube. If it wasn't stable they never would've selected it for development in the first place.

The real reason it never came to market is much simpler and less interesting. Proskelia was developing RU58841, and then merged with Strakan. The new management simply wasn't interested in developing RU. It was estimated to have a market potential of only 100-200 million USD. Forum users often overestimate the demand for new treatments with less side effects because of their own wants and what they see on forums. The average person is quite happy popping a daily finasteride pill. The market has grown since this time, but it's still smaller than believed by many posters here. Perhaps someone would've purchased the rights to the drug, but then the financial crisis hit, and the patent moved closer to expiration. It was just never able to meet anyone's investment criteria because the market wasn't big enough.

prostrakan (1).jpg

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
1242 ALOPECIA. K. Jrnamura. A. Bonfils, A. Diaoi. and H. Uno Wisconsin Primate Research Center, Univ. W~Rouss& Romainvill, France. and Phxmacia-Upjohn. Kalamazw. h, UiA Our previous studies demonstrated that the treatment with either RU58841 (RU) or minoxidil) alone induced significant hair regrowth in the bald stumptailed macaques. However, the rate of hair growth has not signiticantly progressed after 6 months. This fact implies that M stimulates follicular cell proliferation but is unable to halt biogenetic follicular regression. On the contrary, RU prevents androgenic follicular regression but appears to have no direct stimulating effect on follicular cell growth. The present study w’a aimed to evaluate the effect of combined RU 5% (RU-5) with M 2% (M-2) or M 5% (M-S) solution on hair regrowth by both photographic recording and micromorphometrical analysis of follicular growth (folliculogram). The vehicle, mixture of propylene. glycol, alcohol, and water. was used for both compounds and was applied to the placebo group. Each group has 3 monkeys. The data of hair growth for RU-5. M-2, and M-5 groups were used the results from our previous studies. The results revealed that the initial hair regrowth was noticed as early as 1 month after trearment in RU-5 + M-5 and 2 months in RU-5 + M-2 group. The similar degree of hair growth noticed at 3 months after treatment with RU-5 and M-5 alone. In M-2 group, the hairiness maintained but showed no noticeable regrowth. At 3 months, regrowth of long terminal hairs appeared in both RU-5 + M-2 and RU-5 + M-5 groups and these hairs maintained for 6 to 12 months. The overall rate of anagen conversion and follicular enlargement were higher in combined groups compared to RU-5 and M-5 alone and revealed no significant difference between RUJ + M-2 and RU-5 + M-5. The follicular growth was not found in M-2 group. Progressive effect of hair growth by combined treafment of antiandrogen with hypertrichotic agent showed most remarkably in early stage, but within one year the overall effects of hair regrowth revealed no significant difference compared to the rate in RU-5 or M-5 alone. Long-term observation will be necessary to find the synergistic effects on the follicular growth.
https://www.jdsjournal.com/article/S0923-1811(98)84240-0/abstract

According to this RU + minoxidil works 3 times faster than either standalone treatment.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair, I don’t really mind peoples anectodes unless there are fatal reports. Not to discard them but there are already enough anectodal rumors, and these reports only make it harder to get out of. We have found the person whom was involved in the human trials at ProStrakan but we need someone from France to call in for us. Antiandrogenic side effects can be expected, however heart failure is a whole another animal.

Last edited:

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
The guy was trolling. There is no way anyone could develop heart failure in two days from an anti-androgen.

Stability lol. I don't know what dunce came up with that one, but I saw it parroted on YouTube. If it wasn't stable they never would've selected it for development in the first place.

The real reason it never came to market is much simpler and less interesting. Proskelia was developing RU58841, and then merged with Strakan. The new management simply wasn't interested in developing RU. It was estimated to have a market potential of only 100-200 million USD. Forum users often overestimate the demand for new treatments with less side effects because of their own wants and what they see on forums. The average person is quite happy popping a daily finasteride pill. The market has grown since this time, but it's still smaller than believed by many posters here. Perhaps someone would've purchased the rights to the drug, but then the financial crisis hit, and the patent moved closer to expiration. It was just never able to meet anyone's investment criteria because the market wasn't big enough.

View attachment 143649

That is a fairly good and digestible post, thank you for that. Do we know when the two companies have merged so I can check the timeline and see if it fits?

RockChalk

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long RU stays on your scalp? Like, if I run my hand through my hair an hour after applying will I have to wash my hands etc?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 143649

I don't know, it's so hard for me to accept that no one has developed RU into a drug and that it wouldn't be profitable. Maybe people who are successfully taking finasteride are happy to keep taking it, but any new baldie presented with the option of finasteride or a sideless alternative would probably go for RU (although IDK how they compare in terms of effectiveness) and besides, even if you're taking finasteride you might want to add RU for additional beneficial effects (if I'm not mistaken, RU works through a different mechanism).

But it seems like even tho they assessed the market as modest, a deal was in the making, so it must have been sufficiently big that someone would want to do it, so why hasn't anyone picked it up since?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Patent is expired now, so what would be the point? They were marketing it around the time of the financial crisis.

They have a different MOA, but work on the same pathway with similar efficacy. RU works faster though. I don't think there's much synergistic benefit as it doesn't matter how much you limit androgens you can only grow back so much hair.

Why do you say that, shouldn't, in theory, all hair grow back if you removed all hormonal activity regardless of how long it's been gone?

randolf_faust

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride gets prescriped to millions of men every year for decades now

side effects are very well explored and documented

ru gets taken by how many. a few ten thousand people? maybe even less?

its retarded to prefer finasteride over ru because of "side effects"

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again. We don't know, maybe it's way safer but people avoid it like plague just because a user online said that it caused heart failure. I need someone in France that can give them a call and possibly get more info.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on day 18 of using RU58841.

Only side was slight brain fog that lasted for about an hour after applying for the first few times.

My scalp has also been very itchy since about day 7. It isn't a persistent itch, comes and goes. I ignore it because of fear of traction alopecia.

I made a thread that I'll start updating weekly once I hit my 1 month mark. I'm taking oral minoxidil now, but planning on adding topical with .25mm microneedling after 2 month mark. So far it looks promising, considering I think I'm seeing some growth already, but trying not to be too optimistic.