pumpkin seed oil?

bartolin

Reaction score
After reading the following I was wondering if eating a handfull of pumpkin seeds daily would have an effect on hair loss:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.oeaz.at/zeitung/3aktuell/200 ... 3moeg.html

Milton over at Hairsite gave this translation/summary:

"It says that pumpkin seed extract was proven to be an effect
aromatase and 5ar inhibitor in vivo and in vitro. The figures provided
are rather astonishing, at least for the higher dosage of pumpkin seed
extract, which inhibited 90% of type 2 5ar in the human prostate. The
article goes on to say that, while phytosterols were thought earlier
to be the active substance, perspective has shifted somewhat, as
scientists realize that that these sterols are not easily absorbed.
One researcher names phenolglycoside as a likely active agent."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassin

Reaction score
I like them roasted with a little salt. :)

I dunno man, seems to good to be true. What kind of study? How many people were used? Over what time frame? etc.....

bartolin

Reaction score
It seems they used rats, not humans. Also, it says nothing about male pattern baldness but BPH, however 5ar is a common enemy in both problems.

This is a very bad translation using babelfish translator. A german speaker would be helpful here since neither english nor german are my mother languages.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... l&lp=de_en

Saludos

bartolin

Reaction score
I don´t know man, it is a possible treatment for prostate enlargement like finasteride and saw palmetto. Its efficacy on male patern baldness will remain unknown until someone is willing to spend a lot of money and time on clinical trials.

I have just bought a bottle of virgin cold pressed pumpkin seed oil. I will take 2 teaspoons daily for 6 months and report about any possitive or negative results (whatever happends will be anecdotal evidence, nothing can substitute well controled experiments). But since I recently swithched to 5% minoxidil (previously used 3% without apparent success) It´ll be difficult to know what is doing what, oh, well...

Greetings from Spain!.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
still doing th P-seed thing?

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Pumpkins are bald though! :lol:

bartolin

Reaction score
Yup!, still on the pumpkin thing, but the oil went bad after 1 month despite being refrigerated so I now add a handful of seeds to my oatmeal daily.

As for the results, things have improved, but I can´t atribute it 100% to the pumpkin because I am also using minoxidil and recently started taking zinc. I see no regrowth but I no longer see the +300 hairs in the bath sink I used to.
Incidentally, IMHO zinc suplementation has had the biggest effect in slowing the shed since 4 days after starting with it hair stop falling like crazy. Now I can only find 20 hairs or so in the bath sink. :D

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
well somethings working....chances are it's the minoxidil. How much Zinc are you taking?

bartolin

Reaction score
The recommended DV for adult males, 15 mg/day.

I may stop zinc or pupmkin in the future to see if shedding resumes despite minoxidil.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score

Reaction score
pumpkin seeds

I've added them to my regime, usually two small handfuls a day. If you shove lots in your mouth at once they taste better. Low glycemic index too.