Puffy nipples/gyno? What to do...

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I'm a little bit worried about this. It's been this way since I started finasteride, even on 0.5 mg/day. It won't go away even though I lost weight (I'm around 15% b.f.).

Here you can see the pic. When my chest and arms are relaxed it is soft and puffy like that. No pain or lumps underneath though. In a cold environment they look normal.

So, what to do?
1) Ignore and hope it doesn't get worse? (I think bad idea)
2) Go to doctor and ask for testosterone/estrogen test and maybe some Tamoxifen
3) Else?

I think I am going to do 2 in a few days. Probably not a good idea to ignore any more. Need to find a way to continue taking finasteride but without this problem.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible they were like that before finasteride and you never noticed?

Did you get any pain or sensitivity?

g.i joey

Reaction score
tamoxifen or Letrozole will only work temporarily if they even do for you. At the same time it isnt realistic to continue taking tamox while taking finasteride for years. Im almost 100% sure the puffy nips would go away after stopping finasteride as they do for me every time i stop but unfortunately while we're on our nipples will always be a little puffy.

BTW does it effect how you look aesthetically in a shirt?

- - - Updated - - -

dude uve been on finasteride for a while so ignoring it really wont do much. The rise in estrogen effects you that way, besides that if you're not building any tissue in your chest you're fine, the only thing is its aesthetically unpleasing

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it possible they were like that before finasteride and you never noticed?

Did you get any pain or sensitivity?

Naw man they were flat I'm pretty sure because I used to have a lot more weight on me even and they never stuck out that much.

I did have lots of sensitivity in the beginning (couldn't even wear a shirt) and then after a few weeks it stopped.

- - - Updated - - -

tamoxifen or Letrozole will only work temporarily if they even do for you. At the same time it isnt realistic to continue taking tamox while taking finasteride for years. Im almost 100% sure the puffy nips would go away after stopping finasteride as they do for me every time i stop but unfortunately while we're on our nipples will always be a little puffy.

I'm going to test this now. Gonna stop taking it for a while just to see if it does go away. That might put my mind at ease to know it's no permanent growth or anything.

BTW does it effect how you look aesthetically in a shirt?

Hmm not that much I don't think. Because like I said it's soft so most shirts would just flatten it out.

- - - Updated - - -

dude uve been on finasteride for a while so ignoring it really wont do much. The rise in estrogen effects you that way, besides that if you're not building any tissue in your chest you're fine, the only thing is its aesthetically unpleasing

I'm pretty sure this got worse when I trialed taking T3 for my thyroid. Then ALL the sensitivity that I got when initially taking finasteride came back with a vengeance and only went away about 2 weeks after stopping the T3, but the nipples stayed larger in size. I think T3 screwed my estrogen balance, so I might try stopping finasteride then restarting to see if I can get it to settle at the previous, lower level.

myhairbegone

Established Member
Reaction score
Im no doctor of course but sorry to say it seems like gyno....Goodluck I think it should go away if you stop finasteride and it is still in early stages.

How far into finasteride until you noticed?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
They were not that puffy in the beginning. I think they gradually got bigger during about 8 months that I took 1.25 mg finasteride. When I took 0.5 mg EOD they weren't that big but that wasn't enough to stop my hair loss. I don't think 1.25 mg is either.

I am going to my GP next week to ask for an estrogen test. And then we will see what to do next... I'm not comfortable with the idea of leaving this as it is.

This is such a cluster****. If we had decent topical androgen antagonists that didn't cost an arm and a leg... we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe it s because you are overweight ? each fat cell are more chance of aromatization.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
72 kg @ 180 cm I don't think so.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
were you overweight before ? that sucks man , ive been on propecia for 20 month now with no sides, just more muscle mass , but no result on my hairline too.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep I used to be 90 kg but that was a long time ago 2008, 2009...

Sorry about your bad luck as well it did slow down my hair loss but not 100%. I am just worried about the gyno.

N20256757

Reaction score
Go to your Doctor, get estrogen checked through blood work, if its high, hopefull you will be prescribed something like aromisin or arimidex.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, the good news is that after taking a week off of Propecia the puffiness of my nipples does seem to have gone down somewhat. I am going to wait out until it returns completely back to normal so that I know it is fully reversible and no actual gyno has taken place. That's the good news. The bad news is that thus far Finasteride hasn't been enough to stop my hair loss. I have continued losing in the year that I've been taking it. If I am so sensitive to Finasteride, then I don't see how I could take Dutasteride without running an aromatase inhibitor in parallel, the whole time. Dutasteride in itself is pretty damn expensive but if I also had to pay for an AI well there is no way I could do that, and the my health insurance will probably not cover it.

I guess the alternative would be to use something like RU. But of course there is no way of telling if that will be enough on its own. I think this is weaker than Finasteride? And also pretty damn expensive.
Gonna have to weigh my options very carefully here but it isn't looking good. If I knew a good maintenance drug was gonna come out by the end of this year it would all be a lot easier. ****.

ThatHairStruggle

Established Member
Reaction score
Just as a heads up, I got gyno when I first went on finasteride, then I quit for a few months before stepping up my dosage, at first only taking a pill a week until I was back up to a pill a day. Never had problems when I stepped up to the dosage. I think it's the immediate once a day that shocked my system immediately

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not alone. I have the same like yours. But I've got caused this from the using much more strong meds, as you know. I never had any sides from finasteride and dutasteride.
It's not cool, you can try some anti-estrogens (or even androgens) topically, of course if you don't afraid about hair loss.
To treat gyno the best is DHT unfortunately. Or surgery, if it would be increasing still. No any other way. Chest exercises also are helpful.

Yeah, f*** my life. I am really envious that you can take all that stuff. I would do that in a heartbeat if I didn't have the sides.
Getting gyno from finasteride is such a pussy thing. Actually...
Getting GYNO from finasteride without even MAINTAINING on it is... is it a hair loss death sentence?
I mean I'm going to try RU but I probably might get a few months maintenance and then it will stop working just like for most people.

What the actual f***. Maybe I should just go and become a woman. Maybe that was my destiny?
It sure looks that way. My estrogen goes up 5% and already I'm growing tits. And I can't keep my hair without female hormone levels apparently. So what am I supposed to conclude here?

This is bullshit.
First class bullshit.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, f*** my life. I am really envious that you can take all that stuff. I would do that in a heartbeat if I didn't have the sides.
Getting gyno from finasteride is such a pussy thing. Actually...
Getting GYNO from finasteride without even MAINTAINING on it is... is it a hair loss death sentence?
I mean I'm going to try RU but I probably might get a few months maintenance and then it will stop working just like for most people.

What the actual f***. Maybe I should just go and become a woman. Maybe that was my destiny?
It sure looks that way. My estrogen goes up 5% and already I'm growing tits. And I can't keep my hair without female hormone levels apparently. So what am I supposed to conclude here?

This is bullshit.
First class bullshit.
interesting you say that. I honestly believe that there are people who were meant to be either gender.
People who are androgynous are f*****g lucky. They can be whatever they feel, whenever they feel :mad::mad:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
No longer taking finasteride orally since 1 month ago. Only topical 0.002%.

However, it looks like I'm stuck with this. Maybe Andractim could help, but my own DHT should have restored by now so I'm not sure.
Been on Finasteride for around 1 year and this developed during that time.
Anyway, I will no longer take any kind of internal hair loss medication. If I can't maintain with a topical-only regimen, it's gonna be bye bye hair.
Wish me luck.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
That sucks man.

How far into finasteride did you start noticing gyno?

They started getting puffy within about a week of taking the first pill, but it wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as now.
It progressively got worse as time went on.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatevr, I have a questiom for you. Do you have these puffy nipples all the time and always, if sometimes look normal or more normal (less puffy) ?

Because my nipples aren't puffy still, It means my nipples aren't puffy always and in each moment.

They're always puffy. Maybe a bit less so in the morning and then in the afternoon it looks worse (maybe due to hormone changes, I don't know).

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on tamoxifen for a short time, 20mg ED should be fine. If you are no longer on finasteride I think 4 weeks should do the trick but that is just a guess.