PRP/Acell Scalp Treatment

what

Established Member
Reaction score
So, after hearing the recent presentation by Cooley and Hitzig I was intrigued by the use of acell in combination with PRP. I'm refering to the experiment where he used PRP with Acell diluted into arterial blood and injected it into the scalp by itself, there was no transplanting of hair. He claimed to be getting results with it which seem better than PRP alone. But he wasn't sure yet, as he hadn't done a controlled experiment where the PRP is run against PRP/Acell.

I was quoted a price of 3000$ for a single PRP/Acell treatment which would cover the entire head. This seem very high for something that is still experimental and where i would be used, more or less, as a guinea pig. A typical PRP treatment costs about 800$. The time and work involved by the physician is about the same, so really the difference in cost need to accounted for by the material. Does it seem reasonable to charge 2200$ over the price of normal PRP session just for the Acell?

I turned down the treatment and will wait to see photographic evidence that the PRP/Acell combo works better than just PRP. It's just seems like way too much.

Reaction score
Did you inquire about this procedure with Dr. Hitzig or Dr. Cooley?

I would contact the other of the two and see what they can tell you.

Also, you may want to contact Dr. Greco. Dr. Hitzig stated in his interview with Spencer Kobren on Bald Truth Talk that he is more than willing to teach other doctors how to properly use Acell. If this is the truth, then Dr. Greco could incorporate Acell into his PRP treatments.

Letac

Reaction score
I dont think I have heard about this procedure before? Is this something that actually can, if it works, give back the hair without transplanting hair? I understand that you inject Acell into the head, am I correct?

Prp, is that some kind of transplant? How is this compared to FUE etc?

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
No PRP is a method of taking your own blood, putting it under a machine that gives it a centripetal acceleration, and then injecting that blood in your head.

PRP is alone gave no results in the past. It had no effect on hair loss.

As far as I can see Acell will used in strip transplants, to repair scars, and for hair transplants to have better results. So far Acell has proven to repair the thickness of the hair which is removed.

what

Established Member
Reaction score
LostAnagenCycle said:
Did you inquire about this procedure with Dr. Hitzig or Dr. Cooley?

I would contact the other of the two and see what they can tell you.

Also, you may want to contact Dr. Greco. Dr. Hitzig stated in his interview with Spencer Kobren on Bald Truth Talk that he is more than willing to teach other doctors how to properly use Acell. If this is the truth, then Dr. Greco could incorporate Acell into his PRP treatments.

Hitzig

He's supposedly going to post results from prp/acell on his website sometime in June. So we'll hopefullly have a better understanding of what it can and can't do at that time.