Proxiphen + Regaine - Bryan, opinion please.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Son has been on Proxiphen and finasteride for a few years and has had excellent results. I put a post about it a while back.

He is now only taking Proxiphen and is thinking of adding Regaine (Rogaine) to his regime. I believe they both contain Minoxidil. Is it OK to apply both? I realise there is only a small concentration in Proxiphen.

If so, would it be better to apply them at the same time or at different times?

I'm asking for Bryan's thoughts (and others, please), as I found out about Proxiphen a few years ago after reading comments from Bryan. Hard to prove, but Proxiphen and finasteride seem to have been a very good combination

I would also like to say how much I have enjoyed reading comments from Bryan, whether they be about hairloss, questions or puzzles. A very clear, logical thinker in my view.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
pratc said:
Son has been on Proxiphen and finasteride for a few years and has had excellent results. I put a post about it a while back.

He is now only taking Proxiphen and is thinking of adding Regaine (Rogaine) to his regime. I believe they both contain Minoxidil. Is it OK to apply both? I realise there is only a small concentration in Proxiphen.

As an indication to some other people (the poster "Jacob" would be an obvious example) that I don't always march in perfect lock step with everything Dr. Proctor says, I've always had my doubts that the minoxidil in Proxiphen does very much; the reason for that is that it appears to be in a chemical form which isn't terribly effective for topical application (a simple "micronized" form, rather than a true solution in something like alcohol and/or propylene glycol). Even Dr. Proctor has admitted in the past that the presence or absence of minoxidil in Proxiphen doesn't seem to make much difference to its overall effectiveness.

I do suspect, therefore, that using topical minoxidil in its standard topical form (Rogaine) when included with Proxiphen may in fact be a bit more effective than just the Proxiphen alone, since Proxiphen apparently has its own minoxidil in that somewhat less-effective form.

pratc said:
If so, would it be better to apply them at the same time or at different times?

I'm not sure about that. Dr. Proctor himself has always suggested that it probably doesn't make much difference how you mix and combine different treatments together, but I would always err on the side of caution when dealing with that question; considering how relatively expensive Proxiphen is, why take any chance at all that combining the treatments together at the same time might cause Rogaine to mix in some bad way with Proxiphen, and limit its effect? :dunno: I personally would probably always play it safe by using them separately (different times of the day or night).

pratc said:
I'm asking for Bryan's thoughts (and others, please), as I found out about Proxiphen a few years ago after reading comments from Bryan. Hard to prove, but Proxiphen and finasteride seem to have been a very good combination

I can hardly conceive of a more powerful, simpler combination to use (just two separate discrete substances) than Proxiphen and Propecia, both of which are very different to each other, and highly complementary.

pratc said:
I would also like to say how much I have enjoyed reading comments from Bryan, whether they be about hairloss, questions or puzzles. A very clear, logical thinker in my view.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, thank you for your prompt reply and evaluation. I will email my son with the advice.

Jacob

Reaction score
Funny you should mention my name here Bryan..when the original poster says he found out about Prox..thanks to you. What a surprise :woot:

And WOW..the stuff is so good the minoxidil is useless and isn't even needed! :) Use that other minoxidil to make sure you're seeing results!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Funny you should mention my name here Bryan..when the original poster says he found out about Prox..thanks to you. What a surprise :woot:

It's not much of a surprise, when you have such a weird "thing" about Dr. Proctor and his products; you're constantly saying such hateful things about him and casting aspersions on him and his products, every time I (or anybody else) will say anything about him.

Jacob said:
And WOW..the stuff is so good the minoxidil is useless and isn't even needed! :) Use that other minoxidil to make sure you're seeing results!

You're ignoring what I said earlier in this thread, of course. Purely academically, it would indeed be interesting to find out for sure if the addition of topical minoxidil (in a better vehicle for that purpose) would be a noticeable improvement to the standard version of Proxiphen, but I can see it going either way. It might help a bit noticeably, or it might not. Proxiphen has lots of other ingredients besides minoxidil which work, the most obvious ones being TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. I'd pick those last three over minoxidil, any day of the week, and for more than just one reason! :laugh:

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
It's not much of a surprise, when you have such a weird "thing" about Dr. Proctor and his products; you're constantly saying such hateful things about him and casting aspersions on him and his products, every time I (or anybody else) will say anything about him.

Hey genius..that's the point. It's NOT really a surprise. Since you've been pushing Prox and Dr. P's claims for 10+ years. Did he say he's heard so much talk about Prox- and ask the forum? No..he asked you..the person that constantly pushes the stuff, and nothing else. Don't make me get into Dr. P's claims etc again. As I've often said..anyone else would have been driven out of these forums long ago.

Bryan said:
You're ignoring what I said earlier in this thread, of course. Purely academically, it would indeed be interesting to find out for sure if the addition of topical minoxidil (in a better vehicle for that purpose) would be a noticeable improvement to the standard version of Proxiphen, but I can see it going either way. It might help a bit noticeably, or it might not. Proxiphen has lots of other ingredients besides minoxidil which work, the most obvious ones being TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. I'd pick those last three over minoxidil, any day of the week, and for more than just one reason! :laugh:

And yet...make sure you use a minoxidil product separately! :woot:

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
I made contact with the forum six years ago. A person called JayMan was very helpful. I believe he got banned from the forum. Besides the forum, I also did some other searching on the Internet. I don’t know where I first heard of Proxiphen but I mentioned it in a post fairly early on. Most probably I did see some posts by Bryan. In my earlier post in this thread, I did say, ‘I found out about Proxiphen a few years ago after reading comments from Bryan.’ What I should have said was something like, ‘After discovering about Proxiphen, I found out more information by reading posts written by Bryan. Or, perhaps I did initially find out about Proxiphen from reading a post written by Bryan. Does it really matter? Not to me! I made my own mind up on what to use (in liaison with my son). A few people on the forum seem to take offence when Proxiphen is mentioned and think Bryan is either Dr Proctor and/or is pushing it to increase sales etc. I don’t think so, but that is just my opinion. Perhaps there are not many advocates of Proxiphen because its price is prohibitive and hence there are few users. Also, like my son, it is used with other products so it is difficult to tell its efficacy. I’ve been lucky in being able to afford it over the past 5 years and Dr P often sends extra free phials or other ‘goodies’ which help to offset the cost.

I’m not defending Bryan as such - he doesn't need anyone's defence. I’m saying Proxiphen was chosen partly because of Bryan’s information given to forum members (and maybe me – can’t remember) and because I did some research of my own. He is obviously very intelligent and also careful in how he phrases things so as not to be ambiguous or misleading. Some think differently. All I know is Proxiphen with Propecia worked. It will be impossible to tell the contribution made by each. Some may say that now he is off Propecia, if he doesn’t maintain with just Proxiphen, then proxiphen didn’t contribute.much. His hair was just about starting to worsen before he reduced the dose of Propecia to a minuscule amount. - in February, approx.a sixth of a tablet of Proscar every 3 days, then came off it. He had been on it for over 4 years. I realise it takes a number of months before the effect of coming off Propecia shows. However, so far his hair hasn’t worsened noticeably (if at all) from earlier this year and I hope it continues .

I won’t be posting again in this thread.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well thanks for the update and new information..but I was responding to how you said you came about it. And everything about the Prox situation is "misleading" and questionable. No one is ever able to defend it or provide evidence- when it comes to the claims.

Again...10+(!!) years! There are way too many other things to try these days. It'd be different if the evidence out there really did show it grows significantly more hair than any other agent. But no one is stopping anyone from trying it :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Again...10+(!!) years!

You keep mentioning that odd "10+ years" figure for Proxiphen, without seeming to understand that the actual figure is considerably longer than that. I personally was familiar with Proxiphen back in 1995, when I first started using "Proxiphen-N" (what the OTC version of Proxiphen was called in those days). I'm forgetting the exact timeline from the discussions we had on alt.baldspot, but I'm pretty sure that Proxiphen had been in existence in one form or another no later than around the year 1990 or so, and possibly even earlier than that. So this number that you like to throw around so often would be more accurate if you were to use "20+ years" instead! :)

Jacob said:
There are way too many other things to try these days.

What a really really odd thing for you to say! :shock: Despite Dr. Proctor's vast experience with hair loss treatments (possibly 25 years worth) and the use of proprietary drugs which are almost exclusively associated with him, you really think it's worthwhile to "try" different "me-too" products that come on the market from time to time? Different versions of topical minoxidil with maybe some special herbal product thrown in to make people wet their pants at the idea of being some kind of potent new antiandrogenic substance? :) Some new product with copper-peptides which is supposed to stimulate the growth of hair (oh wait...that has been tried more than once before, even though the other parties ignored and misused Dr. Proctor's patent on the use of such peptides)? Or maybe "Spectral DNC", which I believe is the product Dr. Proctor himself complained about in a post right here on HairLossTalk.com as being an obvious ripoff of Prox-N?

These are the types of "me-too" products you think everybody should try out, once they become available, just to see if they're more effective than Proxiphen? :dunno: :)

Jacob said:
It'd be different if the evidence out there really did show it grows significantly more hair than any other agent.

You're really stuck on that one claim, aren't you? :)

JefeJ

Reaction score
I used Proxiphen from '00 to '03, and then resumed it in '05 and continue to use it. Over the years I've experimented with adding in finasteride and/or minoxidil, and it hasn't made much of a difference (my hair loss has slowed, but not reversed). I did lose a bunch of hair when I was off Proxiphen in '04, though.

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
You keep mentioning that odd "10+ years" figure for Proxiphen, without seeming to understand that the actual figure is considerably longer than that. I personally was familiar with Proxiphen back in 1995, when I first started using "Proxiphen-N" (what the OTC version of Proxiphen was called in those days). I'm forgetting the exact timeline from the discussions we had on alt.baldspot, but I'm pretty sure that Proxiphen had been in existence in one form or another no later than around the year 1990 or so, and possibly even earlier than that. So this number that you like to throw around so often would be more accurate if you were to use "20+ years" instead! :)

As usual..nice snip!
So more than 10 years is more than 10+ years. Brilliant! But thanks for pointing out that it's been even more than 20 years..that makes things look so much better for you! :shock:

Bryan said:
What a really really odd thing for you to say! :shock: Despite Dr. Proctor's vast experience with hair loss treatments (possibly 25 years worth) and the use of proprietary drugs which are almost exclusively associated with him, you really think it's worthwhile to "try" different "me-too" products that come on the market from time to time? Different versions of topical minoxidil with maybe some special herbal product thrown in to make people wet their pants at the idea of being some kind of potent new antiandrogenic substance? :) Some new product with copper-peptides which is supposed to stimulate the growth of hair (oh wait...that has been tried more than once before, even though the other parties ignored and misused Dr. Proctor's patent on the use of such peptides)? Or maybe "Spectral DNC", which I believe is the product Dr. Proctor himself complained about in a post right here on HairLossTalk.com as being an obvious ripoff of Prox-N?

These are the types of "me-too" products you think everybody should try out, once they become available, just to see if they're more effective than Proxiphen? :dunno: :)

Ah..yes....??? Since there's no evidence that Prox works as
claimed..since it's been around so long with the same old before/afters and not much else....since so many new things have come around, including "proprietary drugs" and other ingredients....ah....yeah, It'd make more sense to try other things. I'm not just referring to minoxidil-based and/or cu peptide and the liked based products.

Bryan said:
Jacob said:
It'd be different if the evidence out there really did show it grows significantly more hair than any other agent.

You're really stuck on that one claim, aren't you? :)

Oh there are others..but that one really smells terrible.

Jacob

Reaction score
JefeJ said:
I used Proxiphen from '00 to '03, and then resumed it in '05 and continue to use it. Over the years I've experimented with adding in finasteride and/or minoxidil, and it hasn't made much of a difference (my hair loss has slowed, but not reversed). I did lose a bunch of hair when I was off Proxiphen in '04, though.

Welcome to the forums! :whistle: