Prostate Size And Male Pattern Baldness

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I've read on numerous occasions that men who are castrated prior to puberty don't develop male pattern baldness. I've also read that men who have developed male pattern baldness don't recover their lost hair when they're castrated. Unless maybe if they've recently lost that hair.

Could this be because the prostate is always growing? When you're castrated it seems that the prostate stops growing. Maybe this could explain why some men bald earlier than others. Some men could have naturally bigger prostates than other men. But in the end, as the prostate grows, almost all elderly men have developed some stage of male pattern baldness.

This is specially interesting considering that finasteride was initially introduced to treat an enlarged prostate in men.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wrote:

But in the end, as the prostate grows, almost all elderly men have developed some stage of male pattern baldness.
I don't mean that the growth of the prostate is what causes men to develop male pattern baldness. But it sounds plausible that there could be a connection.

Kojak_on_krack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Black men get prostate cancer the most, i assume they have the biggest prostate due to testosterone levels...i wouldn't say they have the highest balding rates.

All to do with DHT sensitivity.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Androgens
Do you believe that a bigger prostate contributes to higher androgen levels? I think we should dig deeper into this. I believe there could be a strong correlation between prostate size and male pattern baldness.
Black men get prostate cancer the most, i assume they have the biggest prostate due to testosterone levels...i wouldn't say they have the highest balding rates.

All to do with DHT sensitivity.
Extremely interesting! Do you happen to have a study that concluded this? If this is the case, IIRC, Asians should be the least prone to prostate cancer due to having less testosterone.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you believe that a bigger prostate contributes to higher androgen levels?
no the other way around. that's why the drugs used to treat prostate cancer reduce the total amount of androgenic activity.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
no the other way around. that's why the drugs used to treat prostate cancer reduce the total amount of androgenic activity.
Finasteride inhibits 5-alfa-reductase which in turn prevents testosterone from being converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This enzyme, 5-alfa-reductase is produced by several organs where among them we find the prostate. The size of the testes is correlated with the amount of testosterone being produced. Maybe the same applies to the size of the prostate and the amount of 5-alfa-reductase being produced. That would make perfect sense to me.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride inhibits 5-alfa-reductase which in turn prevents testosterone from being converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This enzyme, 5-alfa-reductase is produced by several organs where among them we find the prostate. The size of the testes is correlated with the amount of testosterone being produced. Maybe the same applies to the size of the prostate and the amount of 5-alfa-reductase being produced. That would make perfect sense to me.
androgens can enlarge the prostate. mtf transgender prostates shrink after taking hormone therapy. If you were to cut off your balls or take antiandrogens then the size of your prostate would reduce too.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
androgens can enlarge the prostate. mtf transgender prostates shrink after taking hormone therapy. If you were to cut off your balls or take antiandrogens then the size of your prostate would reduce too.
This is interesting. Do you have any source for this? This would imply that if you've been injecting anabolic steroids for some time and decide to stop, your prostate should decrease in size as your testes won't grow back to their natural size to produce the tesosterone levels they once did.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting. Do you have any source for this? This would imply that if you've been injecting anabolic steroids for some time and decide to stop, your prostate should decrease in size as your testes won't grow back to their natural size to produce the tesosterone levels they once did.
there's tons of sources.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11992054/
"Mean percent volume reduction of the prostate was 33% after a 3.7-month average duration of androgen deprivation."

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
there's tons of sources.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11992054/
"Mean percent volume reduction of the prostate was 33% after a 3.7-month average duration of androgen deprivation."
Alright, so 33% volume reduction. After taking finasteride for 6 months the prostate shrinks in average by roughly 18% in volume. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15720071) If we play with the thought that once you withdraw from the androgen deprivation the prostate doesn't recover in size, then the prostate would take about 12-13 years to reach its former size. The average adult male prostate weighs 11g and from 30-50 years of age the prostate grows at a rate of 0,21g per year. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/90380 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12508127)

You mentioned that if you get castrated, your prostate will shrink in size. Do you have a source for this? It would be interesting to know how much the prostate actually shrinks after castration. Over 95% of the testosterone is produced by the testes, so I would assume the shrink in size to be massive.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you were to cut off your balls or take antiandrogens then the size of your prostate would reduce too.
I found one site that states that if an adult male dog is castrated its prostate will shrink by more than 75%:

If a mature dog is neutered, the gland will shrink to less that one-fourth of its previous size. (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=914)
However, it might not be the same scenario in humans... Anyways, it seems like the prostate in dogs, just like in humans, is constantly growing. But while men can struggle with urination difficulties because of prostate growth, dogs struggle with defecation difficulties.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Our facial hair does continue to get thicker, and more numerous as we age. Very strange.

For example, on the show Vikings, the young actor's don't have thick enough facial hair
to grow full beards.

That said, several actors on that show are wearing wigs, so they don't accurately reflect
male baldness (it's hard to distinguish).

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
Our facial hair does continue to get thicker, and more numerous as we age. Very strange.

For example, on the show Vikings, the young actor's don't have thick enough facial hair
to grow full beards.

That said, several actors on that show are wearing wigs, so they don't accurately reflect
male baldness (it's hard to distinguish).
Exactly! So, in many organs in our bodies, 5-alfa-reductase is produced, which is an enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). As we know it, DHT is the main culprit in male pattern baldness. But why do men develop male pattern baldness as they age and not directly when their bodies are fully developed? From what I've found, the only organ that keeps growing after adulthood, where 5-alfa-reductase is produced, is the prostate. Could it be that as the prostate grows, more 5-alfa-reductaste is produced, which in turn leads to more testosterone being converted into DHT, thus leading to a greater chance at developing male pattern baldness?

Last edited:

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
More males get prostate cancer due to age, so it certainly is possible a larger prostate is responsible for baldness.

That said, DHT might play an important role in our bodies as we (males) tend to age.

That said, in my own experience, most of the hair I lost was in my twenties.

My hair is looking shitty these days due to age though, so I can't rule out the prostate.

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
More males get prostate cancer due to age, so it certainly is possible a larger prostate is responsible for baldness.

That said, DHT might play an important role in our bodies as we (males) tend to age.

That said, in my own experience, most of the hair I lost was in my twenties.

My hair is looking shitty these days due to age though, so I can't rule out the prostate.
I didn't find an actual study concluding that castrated men don't develop prostate cancer. However, it seems to be general consensus that prostate cancer is very rare in castrated men. One study states this for example:

Eunuchs rarely, if ever, develop prostate cancer (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5749417/)
I didn't dig deep into this, but it could be that with eunuchs they're refering to men castrated prior to puberty. It seems to be what the term is historically used for. Anyways, it's also interesting to note that, if you get castrated prior to puberty, your prostate seems to stop growing altogether:

It is interesting to note that patients who are castrated before puberty or who have a genetic disorder that impairs androgen action or synthesis do not develop benign prostatic hyperplasia (http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/advisor-forum/why-the-prostate-grows-with-age/article/136874/)​

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a term used for men who experience prostate enlargement and at the same time suffer consequences from it, such as urination difficulties. A growing prostate is, however, totally natural from the looks of it. As you can see in one of my posts above, the prostate is constantly growing. The size of the prostate in adult men can vary a lot though. In the study where they concluded the average weight of the prostate in adult men was 11g, the range was from 7 to 16g. 11g is 57% heavier than 7g and 16g is 45% heavier than 11g and 128% heavier than 7g. So the variation in weight is very significant. Maybe there could be a correlation between prostate weight/size and early onset of male pattern baldness? I mean, lets say a 30 year old man has a prostate weighing 7g. Since the prostate grows at a rate of 0,21g per year from 30 to 50 years of age and at a rate of 0,5g to 1,2g per year from 50 to 90 years of age , it would take him 19 years to grow a prostate of 11g, or roughly 25 to 32 years to grow a prostate of 16g. So to summarize, the prostate weight in men vary greatly and so does to what extent men develop male pattern baldness, but in the end almost all men develop it to some extent.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel sorry for guys that are castrated, they DESERVE to be full heads, let's face, they really do.

I mean, the best thing for ANY guy, doesn't matter their SEXUALITY, RACE, because it's UNIVERSAL,
if having an ERECT BONER. Let's face it.

As ugly as I look, if I didn't have a penis, I would kill myself. Or at least some organ
that gave me pleasure.

They are guys on this board who are hornier than Weinstein, or gayer than Kevin Spacey. But even
THEY know that it's not what's in your heart that matters, but whats IN YOUR PANTS!

Haircraft

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel sorry for guys that are castrated, they DESERVE to be full heads, let's face, they really do.

I mean, the best thing for ANY guy, doesn't matter their SEXUALITY, RACE, because it's UNIVERSAL,
if having an ERECT BONER. Let's face it.

As ugly as I look, if I didn't have a penis, I would kill myself. Or at least some organ
that gave me pleasure.

They are guys on this board who are hornier than Weinstein, or gayer than Kevin Spacey. But even
THEY know that it's not what's in your heart that matters, but whats IN YOUR PANTS!
Actually, when I was reading about castration in men just moments ago, I came across that there are men that go through castration because they're crippled by sexual obsession. But dude, don't derail this thread... Let's crack this riddle that male pattern baldness is instead.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's highly possible, it is.

Men have less testosterone in their thirties, and lose it as they get older. So, it's definitely NOT testerone itself.

I'm struggling with how to make hydroxy progesterone for my hair. I cannot even get doctor prescribed medication here, and I live in the United States (as if that really means anything, it doesn't).