Prostate pain

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 27 years old and I've been on 1.25mg finasteride for the past 13 months, my hair looks pretty much the same as when I began, so it seems to at least stopping my hairloss.

However in the past week I've felt some sharp pain in my prostate area when sitting down for long periods of time. It makes my penis go numb as well. When I'm standing it's ok. I'm going to see a Doctor about this on Sunday.

Is there any chance finasteride could be causing it?

Also could it be related to a sports injury? Last week I was trying to gain more flexibility by touching my toes and that kind of strained my lower back.

For the past 2 years I've had a problem of going to the bathroom too often but I've had tests for protastitis done before and that was all clear.

27 seems too young to have prostate problems.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's quite difficult to differentiate prostate pain from other pains down there. For example, you could be feeling pain in the anus or lower GI tract, testicles, Perineum, or it may simply be referred pain. I experienced pain associated with finasteride for several days, but it was more in my testicles than anything.

Do you ride bikes, stationary or normal? Uncomfortable bike seats can definitely cause pain and aching.

I suffer from a condition called Proctalgia fugax, which is a sudden and severe cramping in the muscles surrounding the prostate, usually occurring at night. It can be excruciating and sometimes lasts hours.. Usually I end up sobbing in the fetal position until it goes away, but maybe google this and see if it sounds similar to what you have. It's not a serious condition, but just a real pain in the *** :)

Since finasteride does decrease the size of the prostate, it may be possible to cause pain. Merck lists 'testicular pain' as a known side effect, so this pain may radiate to the prostate. Also, this testicular pain my actually originate from the prostate, but be felt in the testicles.

Anyway, definitely have your doctor take a look. From what I know, prostate pain not associated with other symptoms is likely to be simply muscular. If you had a number of other symptoms (similar to a urinary tract infection) then you might have reason to be more worried. I'm guessing its nothing, but let us know what your doctor says.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had to give up bike riding because of the numbness it causes and also a bit of prostate pain.

I'm thinking that toe touch I did might have caused this, as I did go overboard.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the exact same thing 4 months after quitting finasteride, I think it's because of elevated estrogen resulting from the suppression of DHT. I'm trying to treat it with lots of zinc at the moment (60mg zinc citrate, and a multivitamin containing 15mg zinc, every day, might have to up the dosage though).

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sadscalp, how do you figure excess estrogen would be causing prostate pain?

If I would have to guess, I would say prostate pain relating to finasteride would be triggered by growing and shrinking of the gland. Less DHT would cause shrinking, and normal levels of DHT would cause it to grow. It would be understandible for this to possibly cause pain, maybe due to the stretching of the surrounding tissues? Estrogen has no real effect on the prostate that I know of.

If your only symptom is prostate pain, I don't see how lowering estrogen would resolve anything. If i'm incorrect here, feel free to correct me. Have you seen a urologist or proctologist about your pain?

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Wuffer said:

If I would have to guess, I would say prostate pain relating to finasteride would be triggered by growing and shrinking of the gland. Less DHT would cause shrinking, and normal levels of DHT would cause it to grow. It would be understandible for this to possibly cause pain, maybe due to the stretching of the surrounding tissues? Estrogen has no real effect on the prostate that I know of.

If your only symptom is prostate pain, I don't see how lowering estrogen would resolve anything. If i'm incorrect here, feel free to correct me. Have you seen a urologist or proctologist about your pain?

It's not. Since quitting finasteride 4 months ago I've had the following problems:

- Penis/nutsack/genital area (numbness, looks and feels weird, aching)
- Prostate ache
- Difficulty achieving erection (was completely ED for a few days, now it's just a little difficult)
- Low/no sex drive (nothing like it used to be)
- Weight gain (I've never been able to gain weight, but lately I've gone up 5 kilos just like that)
- A little bit fatigue
- A little bit breast tenderness

Haven't seen a doctor yet. I thought the sides would go away after a while, but so far they haven't, so I've decided to give zinc a shot. If it doesn't do the trick I won't have a choice but to see a doctor.

Google "elevated estrogen in men prostate".

"According to Dr. John R. Lee, MD estrogen dominance in men can lead to prostate problems such as prostate hypertrophy and even cancer."

harolddwell28

Reaction score
It's quite difficult to differentiate prostate pain from other pains down there. For example, you could be feeling pain in the anus or lower GI tract, testicles, Perineum, or it may simply be referred pain. I experienced pain associated with finasteride for several days, but it was more in my testicles than anything.

this is really scary

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been 9 days since my last post in this thread. Since then I've upped the dosage of zinc to 90-105mg zinc citrate every day, and in the last 3-4 days I've had considerable improvements.

- Prostate pain has gone away almost completely (minor discomfort at times, no big deal)
- my penis/genital area looks much more like it used to, very close to being back to normal
- libido is better (not 100% yet, but hopefully getting there)

In general I feel much more normal. A little more further improvement and I'm there. I just hope I don't have a setback.

Migel

Reaction score
Hi reckless,
your symptoms may be due to enlarged prostate. You should see your doctor for an examination and any necessary testing. Enlarged prostate may be diagnosed by rectal exam.

JimmyL

Reaction score
sadscalp said:
Wuffer said:

It's not. Since quitting finasteride 4 months ago I've had the following problems:

- Penis/nutsack/genital area (numbness, looks and feels weird, aching)
- Prostate ache
- Difficulty achieving erection (was completely ED for a few days, now it's just a little difficult)
- Low/no sex drive (nothing like it used to be)
- Weight gain (I've never been able to gain weight, but lately I've gone up 5 kilos just like that)
- A little bit fatigue
- A little bit breast tenderness

Haven't seen a doctor yet. I thought the sides would go away after a while, but so far they haven't, so I've decided to give zinc a shot. If it doesn't do the trick I won't have a choice but to see a doctor.

Google "elevated estrogen in men prostate".

"According to Dr. John R. Lee, MD estrogen dominance in men can lead to prostate problems such as prostate hypertrophy and even cancer."

How long were you on finasteride?

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of post finasteride syndrome sufferers have been diagnosed with prostatitis AKA the most miserable condition you can get if your a guy.

I get a lot of prostate pains, penis shrinkage 18 months after taking finasteride.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Lambaugh said:
How long were you on finasteride?

6-7 months.

Went off zinc a few weeks ago. I've lost the weight that I put on, starting to feel more and more normal. As for libido, it comes and goes, same goes for my erections. Sometimes they're rock hard, other times they're a bit softer. Prostate still not completely normal, though it's much better than it was. I'm going to stop masturbating for a few days, and give it some rest, and see if it heals.

I'm getting there though, slowly.