Prostate Becomes More Sensitive To Dht After Stopping Finasteride?

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i read an article from perferhairhealth and he said basically that prostate and any tissue with androgen receptors becomes more sensitive to dht after stopping finasteride. He refers to it as '' irreversible remodelling of androgens receptors. ''

is that true?

he also linked a study in his article that i will link below.

it worries me because if all tissues become more sensitive to dht, it might increase cancer risks. any thoughts are welcomed. thanks.

Study : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=19484778

Here is the article part just below below. ( article link is here )

The Hidden Cost Of Finasteride: Dependency, And Irreversible Remodeling Of Androgen Receptors
When it comes to Finasteride, there’s one thing that worries me most:

Finasteride appears to increase androgen receptor activity in the prostate. That’s not necessarily a big deal… But it gets worse: this change in androgen receptor activity doesn’t go away, even after stopping Finasteride treatment.

Why is this a problem? Well, if you get off Finasteride (Propecia), your prostate has remodeled to have an even higher amount of androgen receptors. DHT has a higher affinity for androgen receptors than many other testosterone derivatives. Because of this, there’s a good chance if you increase your androgen receptors, the more likely DHT will arrive to those sites.

In other words, if your prostate remodels and you get off Finasteride, your prostate is likely going to flood with more DHT than if you never took Finasteride to start.

Does Androgen Receptor Remodeling And DHT Flooding Carry Over Into Pattern Hair Loss?

We don’t yet know, but all signs point to yes.

In fact, this would explain why men lose hair so rapidly after dropping Propecia. More DHT floods the scalp and the hair rapidly miniaturizes. And some researchers are even looking into whether this androgen receptor remodeling might be responsible for the persistent sexual side effects some men experience even after dropping Propecia.

The reality is: anything irreversible scares people. And for those who’ve already committed to taking Propecia, if you stop taking it today, you’re probably at a higher risk for hair loss now than if you’d never started taking it at all.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i read an article from perferhairhealth and he said basically that prostate and any tissue with androgen receptors becomes more sensitive to dht after stopping finasteride. He refers to it as '' irreversible remodelling of androgens receptors. ''

is that true?

he also linked a study in his article that i will link below.

it worries me because if all tissues become more sensitive to dht, it might increase cancer risks. any thoughts are welcomed. thanks.

Study : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=19484778

Here is the article part just below below. ( article link is here )

The Hidden Cost Of Finasteride: Dependency, And Irreversible Remodeling Of Androgen Receptors
When it comes to Finasteride, there’s one thing that worries me most:

Finasteride appears to increase androgen receptor activity in the prostate. That’s not necessarily a big deal… But it gets worse: this change in androgen receptor activity doesn’t go away, even after stopping Finasteride treatment.

Why is this a problem? Well, if you get off Finasteride (Propecia), your prostate has remodeled to have an even higher amount of androgen receptors. DHT has a higher affinity for androgen receptors than many other testosterone derivatives. Because of this, there’s a good chance if you increase your androgen receptors, the more likely DHT will arrive to those sites.

In other words, if your prostate remodels and you get off Finasteride, your prostate is likely going to flood with more DHT than if you never took Finasteride to start.

Does Androgen Receptor Remodeling And DHT Flooding Carry Over Into Pattern Hair Loss?

We don’t yet know, but all signs point to yes.

In fact, this would explain why men lose hair so rapidly after dropping Propecia. More DHT floods the scalp and the hair rapidly miniaturizes. And some researchers are even looking into whether this androgen receptor remodeling might be responsible for the persistent sexual side effects some men experience even after dropping Propecia.

The reality is: anything irreversible scares people. And for those who’ve already committed to taking Propecia, if you stop taking it today, you’re probably at a higher risk for hair loss now than if you’d never started taking it at all.

That's not what the study says at all. First off, they didn't just use finasteride, they used Finasteride with Letrozole, a very potent aromatase inhibitor. This combination will increase Testosterone by a large amount, much more so than finasteride alone. Second, they only checked 21 days after. Letro is not a suicidal inhibitor. What that means is, it does not bind irreversibly to the aromatase enzyme. This can lead to an estrogen rebound upon immediate discontinuation. It can take several weeks for 5AR to completely regenerate after discontinuation. So 21 days is not really conclusive. After several months of discontinuation of both drugs, receptor expression would probably be normal.

Also, there are two types of androgen receptors. I believe there is a study by Marty Sawaya somewhere (I can't be bothered to find it atm) that shows that finasteride use causes upregulation of one type of androgen receptor and the downregulation of the other kind in the hair follicle and this is actually a benefit. finasteride and dutasteride reduce androgenic stimulation and increase anabolic stimulation. So there is clearly remodeling be done but it would appear to be beneficial.