Proscar worries

Maven

Reaction score
I have been given Proscar by someone who doesn't need it - I've been advised to chop up each tablet in to quarters or fifths to make then 1mg each.

If I just took each tablet as they are (ie 5mg), are there any medical issues? I know Proscar is usually safe enough for any man to take but it tends to be prescription only which indicates to me that doctors need to check you over first - what would they be checking me for?

I've got a doctor's appointment next week to obtain them but I really want to start straight away with what I've got.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maven said:
I have been given Proscar by someone who doesn't need it - I've been advised to chop up each tablet in to quarters or fifths to make then 1mg each.

If I just took each tablet as they are (ie 5mg), are there any medical issues? I know Proscar is usually safe enough for any man to take but it tends to be prescription only which indicates to me that doctors need to check you over first - what would they be checking me for?

I've got a doctor's appointment next week to obtain them but I really want to start straight away with what I've got.

what are you talking abou?T?? ? start straight away with what you've got??? if you have a prescription to proscar .. go pick up the pills cut them into quarters ... so you take 1.25 mg of finasteride per day ..... dont take the whole 5 mg pill it wont do you any more good than cuttin git into fourths and just taking 1 mg aday .... DO IT .. thers also a post on here that tellls/shows you how to cut it into quarters good .. like a tutorial but iforgot the link .. go look it up or maybe somoene will end it to you.

Maven

Reaction score
No, I don't have a prescription for Proscar, I have been given them by someone does have a prescription but no longer requires the tablets.

I was under the impression that 5mg is likely to work better/faster than 1mg?

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
1mg/day is the only approved quantity of Finasteride. Most likely 5mg will not do anything good for the results, but will probably increase the risk for side effects.

Maven

Reaction score
pbz said:
1mg/day is the only approved quantity of Finasteride. Most likely 5mg will not do anything good for the results, but will probably increase the risk for side effects.

OK thanks for that.

So why do they come out in 5mg tablets?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Genuine Finasteride is available in two slightly different forms, Proscar and Propecia. Proscar was originaly developed to help with prostate problems, and it was discovered that one of the side effects was hair restoration. As a result, the drug Propecia was created (Which contains less Finasteride than Proscar and I believe a slightly different mix of other things).

The dose of Finasteride in Propecia (1mg) is deemed to be sufficient to improve hair condition/volume for many if not most people who take it and while there are slightly better results to be had with Proscar (5mg) there is also a greater risk of other side effects which most men would rather not have.

The following links provide more information.

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... /index.jsp

http://www.proscar.com/proscar_finaster ... /index.jsp

D

Maven

Reaction score
Thank you GX :)

stevemcqueen

Reaction score
hey - can you not take one proscar a week? instead of messing around? how about half twice a week? or has it been proven that every day is a nessecity?

drinkrum

Reaction score
stevemcqueen said:
hey - can you not take one proscar a week? instead of messing around? how about half twice a week? or has it been proven that every day is a nessecity?

I would take it, in the least, every two days. So, take 1/2 a Proscar, every two days. Or just buy a pill cutter and take 1/4 or so every day. It's really not that difficult.

D.