Proscar vs Propecia

captaineyes

Reaction score
Hi all,

This site has been wonderful for me and I thought I'd ask a quick question:

I've been on Propecia since last May, so about 8 months. It's worked like a charm! My doctor though, to save me some money, just prescribed Proscar for me and claimed that there is no transition period between the two. My "head won't notice" :). Is this true? The doctor was a woman so I wasn't sure if I should trust her knowledge. I just don't want to go through another period of adjusting to a drug- especially if that'll include shedding and all the other stuff we talk about. If I have to spend more $ for Propecia, so be it. At the same time, if there really is no difference, I could really use the extra cash!

Anyway, if you've made the changed from Propecia to Proscar, did you notice a difference? Or is it like my doctor says, and exactly the same drug ("finasteride is finasteride, no matter what it's called").

Thanks!

s.a.f

Reaction score
captaineyes said:
exactly the same drug ("finasteride is finasteride, no matter what it's called").
:agree: Same sh*t just a different brand.

captaineyes

Reaction score
Cool, have you tried it yourself? I was hoping to hear from someone (anyone) who's made the switch himself. I'm still a little reluctant here.

Thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah I've tried both the only difference is the $$$. Dont know if either are doing anything for me but I take it anyway just in case.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
captaineyes said:
Cool, have you tried it yourself? I was hoping to hear from someone (anyone) who's made the switch himself. I'm still a little reluctant here.

Thanks.

I made the switch after about a year nothing happened since its the same thing and same brand actually its just the marketing thing for BPH is 5mg dose PROSCAR and for hairloss is 1mg PROPECIA. Just get proscar and cut it up you'll save tons.

hairparty

Reaction score
yeah, like he says finasteride is finasteride, no matter what it's called, just try to cut it up in to 4ths or 5ths and you've got your ~1mg propecia. no different sides, no transition period.

consider yourself lucky that your doctor did that for you. he is saving you $$$ and you don't have to go the gray market to get a generic.