Proscar/Propecia..pregnancy??

G

got my proscar today, (£30 from QHI, took about a week to turn up!)

With it came the following caution (B/W photocopied sheet, so it's from QHI not MSD)

".....Finasteride may produce genital abnormalities in the male foetus...etc...etc....In addition, since it is present in semen, male patients should wear a condom or otherwise avoid exposure of female sexual partners at risk of becoming pregnant....."

Is this just QHI covering themselves or is there a high risk of birth problems whilst taking proscar??

I looked on the Propecia.com site but there is little infomation there.

If anyone has got any up to date information I would be greatful, I don't realy want to be wheeling a pushchair around in a few years with a baby boy with three dicks! 8O

cheers

Ty

adr

Reaction score
Well this is my experience for anything it's worth: I had been on propecia for about 2 years, we decided to have a baby. I stopped Propecia about six weeks before starting "trying". My wife was pregnant about 2 months after I stopped propecia. This was last year, we now have a perfectly normal baby (4 months). No "multiple dick problem"... it's a girl!!
Just for safety, I got rid of any propecia packages left at home in order to minimise risk of contact while my wife was pregnant.

The catch is, I haven't resumed propecia since... and I'm OK (I would say I'm even better in terms of hair quality and, well, sex life... but each head is different, right?).
Not to speak of the other thing.
E

adr

Reaction score
OK OK, I see the time scale I just gave is IMPOSSIBLE. So this is the exact sequence:
Mid July : stopped Propecia
Early September : Began "working on it" (yay!)
End October : success!!
This was REAL fast; conception usually takes longer (and so there's even more time for your body to get rid of any finasteride left--- I "think" it's really a matter of days, but I wanted to be 100% sure & that's why i allowed 1.5months)

G

On propecias site they say you should stop its use for 2 weeks if ur planning 2 have a kid.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Thank you for your post adr. I've been waiting forever for someone who has been on Propecia and who has tried to have a kid to post on a message board.

A couple of questions:

1. Did you have any side-effects while on Propecia?
2. Were you taking the Merck-branded Propecia or slicing up a 5-mg pill?
3. Do you notice any bodily changes (not just hair) after quitting Propecia?
4. Do you intend to start Propecia back up again?
5. And lastly, have you ever hard your hormome levels checked on Propecia and/or off of it? If so, what were the results?

I'm a 21 year old who is on his 4th year on finasteride (started when I was 18). And I want to make sure, without a doubt, that my taking finasteride now will not somehow hinder my chances of spreading my seed, so to speak.

Thanks.

D.

Cassin

Reaction score
tynanW said:
got my proscar today, (£30 from QHI, took about a week to turn up!)

With it came the following caution (B/W photocopied sheet, so it's from QHI not MSD)

".....Finasteride may produce genital abnormalities in the male foetus...etc...etc....In addition, since it is present in semen, male patients should wear a condom or otherwise avoid exposure of female sexual partners at risk of becoming pregnant....."

Is this just QHI covering themselves or is there a high risk of birth problems whilst taking proscar??

I looked on the Propecia.com site but there is little infomation there.

If anyone has got any up to date information I would be greatful, I don't realy want to be wheeling a pushchair around in a few years with a baby boy with three dicks! 8O

cheers

Ty

Proscar has 5mg

Propecia has 1mg

Taking 1mg of finasteride is a big diff.

G

hey cassin!!!

hey cassin,

I am taking a quarter of a one 5mg proscar tablet each morning, so that means I am getting 1.25mg of finasteride each day.

What did you mean by....

Proscar has 5mg

Propecia has 1mg

I am a bit new to this and easily confused, when you say 'finasteride' do you mean 'FINasteride'?

cheers for any help

:) :( 8O :lol: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :rockon: :freaked: :freaked2: :smoke: :moon: :laugh: :hairy: :love:

Lee

Cassin

Reaction score
I am a bit new to this and easily confused, when you say 'finasteride' do you mean 'FINasteride'?

Yep!

What did you mean by....

Proscar has 5mg

Propecia has 1mg

1mg Finasteride for male pattern baldness should be safe for you to have kids later. Propecia(which is the weak form of Proscar for male pattern baldness that you are cutting) has been around for about 7 years. If you weren't able to have kids on it, there would be hundreds of thousands of lawsuits in the works right now suing MERK because of the inability of a guy being able to conceive a child, or if they can , having deformed male genitals in children. It has been out for plenty of time for problems with this to be well known by now. As far as I know, I haven't heard of anything from people taking 1mg.

Taking the entire 5mg Proscar tab is a whole new ballgame that has in fact been proven to cause all kinds of problems.

Regardless, this question should be explained by a Doctor.

G

Paging youngGuy17!

hey youngGuy17

YoungGuy17 said:
On propecias site they say you should stop its use for 2 weeks if ur planning 2 have a kid.

I have tried to find this info on their site and can't, maybe I am looking in the wrong places :(

Could you give me the URL for the page that has got that info?

If you do I will give you my recipe for 'Arginine Shake' :freaked: :freaked:

Cheers

Ty :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 8O :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Stingray

Reaction score
You lose a lot of interest by your audience when you use more than 1 smiley in your post.

And men becoming pregnant on propecia is not a known side effect.. .though if you do, your kid will be hung like a buffalo.

G

Thanks for the smiley advise, how many do you suggest as a guide?
Did you do a survey to get this information, or is it just something you know?

Thanks in advance

Ty :freaked2:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: hey cassin!!!

tynanW said:
Huck.

G

What does 'Huck' mean?

I am being serious here.

Maybe it's because I am from the UK, but some of the phrases here don't translate!

Ty
(balding by the minute and stupid)