Proscar insurance coverage (must it say for BPH?)

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad just got a years supply of proscar for $10. He used to take propecia but learned from me about the miracle pill cutting technique.

I can't believe this. I pay more than that for about 4 months worth of fincar.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience getting proscar covered by insurance. Does it have to be specifically prescribed for BPH to get coverage? What if the doctor just prescribes it and doesn't say why?

I dont think they normally write why on prescriptions.

Also, what if i get a prescription for proscar from medical wellness center? do you think i can get my proscar covered since we both have the same kind of insurance and it worked for him?

Has anyone used a medical wellness prescription? Also, have they tried to get insurance coverage with it?

I live in the USA

Hit5

Reaction score
Insurance should cover Proscar for the reason you described. Good luck getting anyone to approve finasteride though. You might be able to convince your Doctor to put you on proscar but that is also a toss up. Being older would help. Not many 20-somethings need proscar from an insurance perspective.

I know, it sucks.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Generally the insurance company won't cover any medication if it is considered "cosmetic".

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't believe my dads is for BPH.

He used to take propecia and then get Proscar now.

I could just say its for "oversensitivity to male androgens" or "to control excess DHT per the doctor's orders" haha

well, i wouldn't really by lying.

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
paximperia said:
Generally the insurance company won't cover any medication if it is considered "cosmetic".

How do they know for sure its "cosmetic"? People of all ages can have strange medical problems.