Proscar in Fifths: A Bad Idea

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello, folks.

I posted a topic here awhile back about Proscar/Propecia. I mentioned that when I took Propecia I had no problems but when I started cutting them into fifths I began to have bad side-effects. Now I know why:

http://63.147.65.175/life/split1219.htm

The active ingredient in Proscar, and some other medications, is not evenly spread throughout the tablet. Splitting a 5-milligram Proscar tablet into fifths does not mean you'll get 5 one-milligram doses of the drug. It's more likely that the drug will be divided so unevenly that the doses would be either ineffective or too strong.

So there ya have it. Any thoughts?

Becks

Reaction score
Yep. That happend to me too. Changed from Propecia to Proscar 1/5 and got very sensitive nipples. Had to stop finasteride at the end.

I'll try 1/2 Propecia every day now or maybe 1 tablet every second day.

G

:shock: I for one am going to look into buying Propecia, for the sake of a few quid I want to be safe than sorry.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The page you linked won't load, and that sounds very unlikely. Any evidence or proof? Maybe it's on the page you linked that won't load.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry guys its just more propoganda to make you buy expensive Propecia instead of cheaper Proscar.

Its been shown that doses as small as 0.2mg are as effective as 1mg so even if (which I don't believe) the finasteride is distributed unevenly it will matter very, very little.

Warrior101

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing that i have noticed about the ppl who used proscar on this forum is very clear.. that they have more chances of having side effects than ones who use propecia... i think this is a very serious matter.. and we need some word from official sources such a Merck or some knowledgable ppl like doctors on this issue...

G

The active ingredient in Proscar, and some other medications, is not evenly spread throughout the tablet. Splitting a 5-milligram Proscar tablet into fifths does not mean you'll get 5 one-milligram doses of the drug. It's more likely that the drug will be divided so unevenly that the doses would be either ineffective or too strong.

Are people really going to ditch Proscar on the advice of someone who writes "It's more likely that the drug will be divided so unevenly"

"...it's more likey...." just doesn't cut it (no pun intended).

You need to explain how a large scale pharmachutical manufacturer can deliver an acurate 5mg pill and yet have the active ingredients unevenly spread throughout?

Modern pill production techniques use batch manufacturering to keep costs down, it would be comic to consider making each pill individually.

A large batch of Proscar must have finasteride evenly diffused amongst the other excipients, otherwise when it comes to dividing the batch into single pills, they could not guarantee a 5mg pill.

The only way finasteride could be unevenly distributed in the pill if it was to seperate and move after each pill was divided, so if you have any evidence of this let's see it, but untill then don't post every hairloss scare story you come accross.

G

Warrior101 said:
One thing that i have noticed about the ppl who used proscar on this forum is very clear.. that they have more chances of having side effects than ones who use propecia... i think this is a very serious matter..

If this is very clear could you quickly type up your reasoning behind this thought ?

You seem to state your observation as fact, so do you have a list of people who have experienced side effects and what they were taking (proscar or propecia).

Warrior101 said:
and we need some word from official sources such a Merck or some knowledgable ppl like doctors on this issue...

I think they should do multi stage large scale double blind placebo trials to lay this question to rest once and for all....er.....oh they already have!!!!

I have been prowling these (and other forums) for a while now and have never seen a correlation between the name of the finasteride being taken and incidence of side effects.

thanks for any info

Ty

Cassin

Reaction score
TynanW is correct on every point. This issue pops up every 3 months and always ends the same. It's fine to cut proscar.

I was on propecia for 6 months and it worked great. I have been on Proscar for 14 months or so, and I would more than likely be a Norwood 4 to 5 if it didn't work instead of a thick Norwood 2.5 ish if it didn't work as well as Propecia.

Relax guys......quit being paranoid.

This is Merk spin. They hate the fact that some of their Propecia users have learned that Proscar can be cut. We are a very very small group of hairloss sufferers that have stumbled onto such a money saving technique. Even though we are such a small group, Merk probably fears it popping up on some Discovery channel ,20/20, 60 minutes or whatever show about baldness, and it becoming a widely known technique, then having hordes of men rushing to buy Proscar thereby making Propecia sales plummet.

But in the end, it's your money, go ahead and waste it.

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
(swallows my fifth of Fincar and grabs some popcorn *munch munch*)

BTW, a little logic here.

It's okay to take a whole 5mg a day (hence, one pill, lol) for prostate but if we take .2....then .3 ..thhen......1

we're screwed?

Where's the BS flag when you need one?

GO MERCK!

drinkrum

Reaction score
If you want doctor references, I've talked to renowned endocrinologists and dermatologists who assured me that splitting Proscar wasn't a bad idea. In fact, one of them recommends taking 1/2 Proscar pill every-other-day to their patients.

Don't worry, be happy.

D.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Temples said:
Hello, folks.

I posted a topic here awhile back about Proscar/Propecia. I mentioned that when I took Propecia I had no problems but when I started cutting them into fifths I began to have bad side-effects. Now I know why:

http://63.147.65.175/life/split1219.htm

So there ya have it. Any thoughts?

Too strong? 5mg of finasteride is considered safe, thats' why people with prostate problems have been taking them.

Too weak? It is a well known fact that amounts as small as 0.2mg are effective for hair loss

I have been given the OK from a dermatologist to take 1/2 a tablet every 2nd day, so your argument has absolutly no weight.

P.S IF I THOUGHT THAT I COULD GET AWAY WILL KILLING A SCAREMONGERER LIKE YOURSELF, I WOULD PUT A BULLET IN YOUR HEAD. SO f*** OFF, YOU TOOL OF CORPORATE GREED

PPS tynanW your post was absolutly right, good to know there are people like you in these forums.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
P.S IF I THOUGHT THAT I COULD GET AWAY WILL KILLING A SCAREMONGERER LIKE YOURSELF, I WOULD PUT A BULLET IN YOUR HEAD. SO f*** OFF, YOU TOOL OF CORPORATE GREED

Hey, dumb ***! Yeah, that's you. I didn't post this as an argument. I posted it simply to draw strong reactions and get the other side. I've got my answer now, thank you. It never ceases to amaze me how "hard" people think they are behind a keyboard.

It looks like YOU are the "tool". b**ch.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Temples said:

Hey, dumb ***! Yeah, that's you. I didn't post this as an argument. I posted it simply to draw strong reactions and get the other side. I've got my answer now, thank you. It never ceases to amaze me how "hard" people think they are behind a keyboard.

OH sorry fountain of knowledge, you know everything with your PHD and all. You know everything and the thousands that have been cutting proscar for years are just imagining the hair in thier heads. Making worthless posts with no sources or srouces make by commercial media grousp with no authors let alone a author that is a doctor. Causes nothing but trouble for pppl with male pattern baldness. If your going to make a comment please back it up.

so either your a MERCK employee or a stupid fool. Please for your own sake just f*** off.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I suppose you can't understand the strategy.

And please, learn how to spell. It's giving me a headache. You type like a fourth-grader.

G

Temples said:

Look. I know I am real hard. I mean.... look at that b**ch to the left....

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LOL, well, in that case I'm hard too!

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr. Richard Lee, one of the worlds leading experts in hairloss does not have a problem with people cutting proscar.
Look at this transcript of a conversation with Dr lee he clearly mentions that it is upto the doctors judgement. Also he mentions that the only difference between a cut proscar and a propecia tablet is the price. If you dont believe me have a look for youself.
http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_chat/transcripts/richard_lee_chat.cfm