Proscar for 5 years

MIC

Reaction score
I have been taking Proscar now for 5 years and have remained loyal to the regimen of 2%minoxidil with and Proscar 1 tablet cut into 4s to provide 1.25 mg.

My questions are the following:

1) Is there something better out there now then Proscar/Propecia
2) I just saw an add for top rated drugs for hair loss and they gave a good review for Procerin? Is it that good and can it take the place of Proscar?

The add also recommended Avacor which I know people have blasted as a "snake oil"

3) After 5 years on Proscar is there anything I should have checked or could be in danger of? I really have kept it quite that I take it to my Dr.

Just looking for the latest.

My profile is the following:
- 36yo
- Regimen - 2% minoxidil and Proscar 1.25mg daily
- Norwood 2-3 - receding front hairline

MIC

jeffsss

Reaction score
well there is always dutasteride.
but if you want to go with FDA approved treatmetns. you doing all you can!

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MIC said:
I have been taking Proscar now for 5 years and have remained loyal to the regimen of 2%minoxidil with and Proscar 1 tablet cut into 4s to provide 1.25 mg.

My questions are the following:

1) Is there something better out there now then Proscar/Propecia
2) I just saw an add for top rated drugs for hair loss and they gave a good review for *********? Is it that good and can it take the place of Proscar?

The add also recommended Avacor which I know people have blasted as a "snake oil"

3) After 5 years on Proscar is there anything I should have checked or could be in danger of? I really have kept it quite that I take it to my Dr.

Just looking for the latest.

My profile is the following:
- 36yo
- Regimen - 2% minoxidil and Proscar 1.25mg daily
- Norwood 2-3 - receding front hairline

MIC

I would go to an Endocrinologist and tell him you've been taking finasteride and that you'd like to have tests done in relation to it.

You're doing all you can as far as approved treatments, you could up the percentage of your minoxidil.

Have you been experiencing side effects from the finasteride?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Avodart is the next medical step for a higher inhibition of DHT. It's like finasteride's cousin, except it's newer (late 2002) and much stronger.

You could upgrade to a higher percentage of minoxidil, like the 5%.

You should add Nizoral shampoo for good antiandrogen treatment.

Keep exercising, eating right, and living healthy. That's my advice.

Finasteride seems to lose some effect on the hair after 5 years. Do a little research on dutasteride on such websites as http://www.dutasteride.org, and http://www.hairlosstalk.com, etc.

By the way, Pr0cerin is a scam as well. Stick to the proven treatments only.