Propeciahelp.com, Claims finasteride can cause permanent ED?

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
cmf0106 said:
Just out of curiosity what do you guys think about such claims? They state that even after quiting finasteride side effects may remain, such as ED and brain fog.

It's hard to say. Everyone is different and reactions to these drugs vary a lot.

davestep

Reaction score
i found a forum a while back that was dedicated to people trying to reverse the side effects of finasteride. Some successful and some not.
it was pretty scary to be honest. But i don't take finasteride anymore so just ignored it!

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what do you guys think about such claims? They state that even after quiting finasteride side effects may remain, such as ED

Yea, except its not just the users of propeciahelp.com "claiming" this occurs.

It's now an officially recognized problem as reported to, and published by, the regulatory agencies of Sweden and the UK.

--------

2010 - Sweden/Europe - Package Leaflet Information for User, Propecia 1mg
http://www.lakemedelsverket.se/SPC_PIL/ ... %20ENG.Doctor

Under "Special Warnings and Precautions for Use ", pg. 2, section 4.4:
"Long-term data on fertility in humans are lacking, and specific studies in subfertile men have not been conducted. The male patients who were planning to father a child were initially excluded from clinical trials. Although, animal studies did not show relevant negative effects on fertility, spontaneous reports of infertility and /or poor seminal quality were received post-marketing..."

Breast cancer has been reported in men taking finasteride 1 mg during the post-marketing period.

Under "Undesirable Side Effects", pg. 3, section 4.8:

- persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with PROPECIA

- male breast cancer

-----

2009 - UK - MHRA Public Assessment Report, Finasteride 1mg (Dr. Reddy's)
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/ ... 054522.pdf

Under Undesirable Side Effects, pg. 7, section 4.8:

"Persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with PROPECIA has been reported in post-marketing use."

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
if it's bold and in red it must be true!

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
dougfunny said:
Lol
Well, you can open the document and read the whole thing too, you know.

Cassin

Reaction score
Don't take it personal it was a funny comment.

Look at it this way.. You can find anything you want on a forum and something to back it up no matter the drug. I took a zpak once and found sites like phelp making crazy claims. Every drug has it's conspiracy pushers.

G

Shma said:
Cassin said:
dougfunny said:
Lol

I read both reports and the frequency of these effects are very low, and im willing to take that chance especially given my lack of side effects so far. Both reports seem to say in sum, benefits outweigh potential risks.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
Cassin said:
dougfunny said:
Lol

If people bothered to open the document and read it, they would find out what a joke these claims really are. Permanent ED is listed in the "frequency unknown" category underneath the listed side effects, which means they received complaints from a number of unverified users. These effects weren't shown in any official medical study or trial, and have definitely not been proven.

Cassin

Reaction score
Be careful about what info you take carefully from completely biased sites. You wouldn't want to take info as foolproof from propeciaisawesome.com would you?

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can find anything you want on a forum and something to back it up no matter the drug. I took a zpak once and found sites like phelp making crazy claims. Every drug has it's conspiracy pushers.

This is not a "conspiracy" -- as discussed numerous times on this site, the fact this problem is recognized in official documentation and published by the regulatory agencies should be of concern to you. However, there are always those who will ignore such info irregardless, in their quest to save hair.

If people bothered to open the document and read it, they would find out what a joke these claims really are.

Since when is persistent ED after quitting the drug "a joke"? The fact you disbelieve this is even possible is a testament to your beliefs that the drug can do no harm.

Permanent ED is listed in the "frequency unknown" category underneath the listed side effects,

Exactly as you state: FREQUENCY UNKNOWN. Hence, nobody knows how often, or how little this problem occurs yet, because it hasn't been studied. But it's obviously been reported enough to the agencies for them to take action and force Merck to change their prescribing information. If that's not concerning enough to you, oh well -- continue to ignore such info and continue on as usual at your own peril.

which means they received complaints from a number of unverified users

Do you work for the Swedish MPA or UK MHRA? No. So you have no proof behind that statement, it is simply your opinion. Here's mine: most likely these complaints were from both consumers and more than likely, medical professionals on behalf of their patients submitting the adverse reports.

These effects weren't shown in any official medical study or trial, and have definitely not been proven.

That's because no study has been conducted on this problem, YET.

Since the Propecia FDA clinical trials in 97, new studies have emerged and leading researchers acknolwedge they still don't know the exact mechanism as to how it causes sexual dysfunction, and that more research is required.

Even back then, the FDA had it's reservations and admitted long-term adverse effects of the the drug remain unknown in young men.

Screenshots from...

A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor Finasteride (2006)
CNS Drug Rev. 2006 Spring;12(1):53-76.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 4/PDFSTART

5-alpha reductase inhibitors and erectile dysfunction: the connection (2008)
Erdemir F, Harbin A, Hellstrom WJ.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... s=19090946

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfd ... EDR_P4.PDF

------

Anyway, you guys can shill for Propecia all you want. The information is out there about the potential risks, even if the frequency remains unknown. The point is, it's better to be informed rather than not about such things, so the consumer can make an informed decision one way or the other.

Attachments

• post-fin1.jpg
    post-fin1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 186
  • post-fin2.jpg
    post-fin2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 198
  • finasteride-unknown.jpg
    finasteride-unknown.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 186

abcdefg

Reaction score
Anyone that says its not possible propecia could cause some permanent side effect in rare cases is lying to you. It is absolutely possible and likely some people have permanent side effects from yet unknown factors. Is it likely you will get permanent sides from it statistically speaking? No, but all drugs carry risks so its kind of a dumb question to ask if its possible because it certainly is.

The complexity of things in nature like the human body is pretty astounding. I mean it would take a complicated series of differential equations just to model blood flow accurately yet alone account for the millions of variables we know about and the tons of things science has not figured out yet like relationships between different pieces. I mean even the simple things we understand about DHT is probably a drop in the bucket compared to all the processes that actually take place.

barcafan

Reaction score
Cassin said:

Look at it this way.. You can find anything you want on a forum and something to back it up no matter the drug. I took a zpak once and found sites like phelp making crazy claims. Every drug has it's conspiracy pushers.

All you need to do is look at the method of action, near elimination of 5AR. 5AR does more than just T --- > DHT. That's a fact. Not everyone is going to get symptoms, and a tiny % of those who do get symptoms will develop severe / long term problems.

Isn't it important to bring all possible complications to light? So that people can make an informed decision. This whole stick your head in the sand approach is so retarded, especially when its related to your health. Alot of people prefer ignorance, like those people who buy cigarettes but absolutely cannot look at the label because it shows a smoking-raped disfigured heart on it.

Nene

Reaction score
barcafan said:
Cassin said:

All you need to do is look at the method of action, near elimination of 5AR. 5AR does more than just T --- > DHT. That's a fact. Not everyone is going to get symptoms, and a tiny % of those who do get symptoms will develop severe / long term problems.

Isn't it important to bring all possible complications to light? So that people can make an informed decision. This whole stick your head in the sand approach is so retarded, especially when its related to your health. Alot of people prefer ignorance, like those people who buy cigarettes but absolutely cannot look at the label because it shows a smoking-raped disfigured heart on it.

This whole thing is very tricky. I mean, on the one hand, if someone says finasteride gave them permanent ED, you can't completely rule that out of the realm of possibility. Surely messing with chemicals that regulate your sexual organs can possibly cause some ED or other sexual dysfunction, maybe even long term. That being said, there are people who don't have 5AR naturally and as far as I know they don't have any issues with erections. From my personal experience, I've been on finasteride 10 months and can still achieve an erection. I'd say they aren't quite as strong but still good enough. I'm pretty confident that it won't give me ED and that if it did my body would recover. I think that a lot of these people with the serious sides might've had some underlying problems already and maybe the finasteride exacerbated it. I"m also sure that a good number of them are hypochondriacs.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Food for thought. By some estimates, 1 in 10 men will experience some form of erectile dysfunction in their life. Millions of men around the world use Propecia. It seems very likely that these numbers would overlap at some point. Men who are destined for ED problems start taking Propecia for their hair-loss, and viola! You have a case of finasteride-induced, permanent sexual dysfunction. Sound plausible?